Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie here with a question
RE: newbie here with a question
We've had a Sleep Number bed for a number of years and consider it a big waste of money. The only thing that has improved sleep (for both me and my wife) is CPAP or a mouth appliance. There may be mattresses that will encourage sleep but we haven't found one. I definitely don't like the memory foam ones as they tend to hold heat in the summer.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2013, 08:10 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-18-2013, 07:08 AM)jp413 Wrote: got a pressure of 8 and thought it was good for a few days then not so good... thanks to every ones help in other posts I got the resmed software and adjusted my pressure down to 7.6 and so far my ahi have gone down to an adv of 1.3 ( it was adv of 7.5 ) so big thanks

Not sure what you mean by adv. I also didn't know you could set the pressure at 7.6. Anyway, changing your pressure like that is likely not the cause of the change in AHI. Your AHI will change on its own, especially when you're new to CPAP therapy.

It's highly unlikely that the change in pressure you made had any effect on your AHI. I recommend you leave it at the setting of 8 for a few weeks so you can establish a baseline of data.

Beds? I love my sleep number bed. It's also important to pay attention to ventilation, air temperature, light, and noise. All of these have an effect on the quality of sleep.

on my resmed s9 I can change the pressure in .2 h20 increments. I did try the setting of 8 they set it too for 3 weeks. kept having between 7-10 ahi 4 to 5 days a week, I turned it up a bit didn't help so I turned it down and settled where I am. to date now my average ahi is 1.2 the higest ahi ive had in the almost 2 weeks since I settled on 7.8 h20 is 1.6 ahi per hour and its so much easier to breath out. who would have thought .2 h20 less would make a big difference.
and the only reason I started playing with pressure and using the rescan software is the sleep tech told me he only came in once to change my pressure from 4 h20 to 8 h20.. just seamed like " ill just turn it to 8 so I don't have to be bothered going back in " Thinking-about

well see

I go in next week for my " check up " see what they think.. but for me the data don't lie...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2013, 07:37 AM)jp413 Wrote: and its so much easier to breath out. who would have thought .2 h20 less would make a big difference.

It's doubtful the change in pressure had anything to do with it. It's likely you are simply adapting to the therapy.

Quote:I go in next week for my " check up " see what they think.. but for me the data don't lie...

And more importantly, you're using your CPAP machine, which gives your body and mind the opportunity it needs to adapt.

That's really the key to success, adaptation. And it's amazing how the human body can adapt. Things that bothered the heck out of me when I started have now disappeared!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2013, 08:59 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 07:37 AM)jp413 Wrote: and its so much easier to breath out. who would have thought .2 h20 less would make a big difference.

It's doubtful the change in pressure had anything to do with it. It's likely you are simply adapting to the therapy.

Quote:I go in next week for my " check up " see what they think.. but for me the data don't lie...

And more importantly, you're using your CPAP machine, which gives your body and mind the opportunity it needs to adapt.

That's really the key to success, adaptation. And it's amazing how the human body can adapt. Things that bothered the heck out of me when I started have now disappeared!

sleepster you got that right. I have faithfully used it every night all night since I got it, I have not had to take a nap when I get home from work like I used to every day, I only wish I had done this years ago. ThanksShy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 396 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 196 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.