Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie question
newbie question
I just had my sleep study on Monday and I am wondering what an AHI of 21.9 and a pressure of 9 indicate in terms of severity. The tech wasnt very helpful and I dont see my doc for another week. I dont have my equipment yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie question
The pressure means little in terms of severity. Some folks have mild OSA yet require more pressure than someone with severe OSA. 9 is a good pressure to breathe against, however, so your adjustment may be easier.

As for the AHI, 29 is just inside the "moderate" range.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(AHI)

For comparison, my AHI 8 or so years ago was 68. There's others here whose AHI was over 100.

Other things to help you figure all this out:
acronyms/abbreviations http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
machine choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi oak,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said, be sure to check out the links she posted, you'll find lots of information there.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2013, 01:31 PM)oak Wrote: I just had my sleep study on Monday and I am wondering what an AHI of 21.9 and a pressure of 9 indicate in terms of severity. The tech wasnt very helpful and I dont see my doc for another week. I dont have my equipment yet.

AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) number of apnea event per hour (apnea has to last 10 seconds or more to be scored)
Pressure 9 cmH2o amount of pressure needed to prevent airways obstruction and apnea events from occurring. might not stop all of them but at least most of them. AHI 5 or below considered good CPAP therapy

Do your homework about machine choices, not all machines are equal
Archangle:Machine Choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

ResMed and Phillips Respironcis System One (PRS1) are the two most popular machines
Avoid any ResMed machine with Escape in name such as Escape or Escape Auto
S9 AutoSet and S9 Elite are data capable machines (model name found next to stop/start button)

Avoid any PRS1 machines with Plus and SE in the name and models numbers below 460 (label at the bottom of the machine shows model number)
PRS1 Auto (560) and Pro (460) are data capable machines

Efficacy data is important for your doctor to see how the therapy working and make any adjustment if required
Knowing whats going on is important for you too to keep tracks and monitor your treatment

Beside machine, mask is most important, its not uncommon to go through several masks trials to find the right one works best for you
Everyone is different. Ask about mask return policy so you can return mask if not working for you and try another

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks zonk. I am only worried now that the DME vendor will try to force me into a cheaper machine and their choice of mask. I have heard horror stories. I am ready and armed with information from here and another forum, plus I contacted my insurance company so I know I have a choice of vendor, but being as tired as I am, I sure dont want to fight with them so hope they arent a "bad" DME provider. Another complication is that they have my prescription and my report. My doctor doesnt have them yet and I tried to get from the sleep tech but he wouldnt give them to me! They sent my info to the vendor without even asking me, but wont give to me. So if I dont like the vendor, I am going to have to wait until my referring doc gets the report, get a new script, and then go off to my choice of 5 vendors, all of which will take TIME, and meanwhile I feel like I am dragging myself around like some kind of sloth from lack of sleep.

This sleep clinic is affiliated with an HMO, so I think they just have assumed that I have the HMO for insurance. I dont. My bad and the doctors bad for choosing them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Legally I don't think the sleep technician can give you the script or the report. That needs to come from a doctor. If you don't like your vendor, or the vendor doesn't give you a machine you want, it is better to wait a week or three and get the machine that will serve you the best instead of going with what they force on you. I was ignorant when I went for my machine and mask fitting. Fortunately I ended up with a data compatible machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-05-2013, 07:57 PM)iSnooze Wrote: Legally I don't think the sleep technician can give you the script or the report. That needs to come from a doctor. If you don't like your vendor, or the vendor doesn't give you a machine you want, it is better to wait a week or three and get the machine that will serve you the best instead of going with what they force on you. I was ignorant when I went for my machine and mask fitting. Fortunately I ended up with a data compatible machine.

Thanks. I am crossing my fingers that they dont try to mess with me. Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 263 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 292 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.