Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie questions re sleep test results
newbie questions re sleep test results
Hi all
33 year old female newbie here, always tired and yawning, can find myself shutting eyes at my desk. Did an Epworth Sleepiness Scale test as a participant for my PhD supervisors study recently and got 16! Hard to get doctors to listen if I say im tired as im a PhD student...

I just remembered I had a in-home sleep test 3 years ago that was never really followed up. My father has OSA and uses a cpap and my dentist thought i may have it too as back then Epworth Sleepiness was 13, hence the test. I just looked through the report again and wonder whether I should have had some form of follow up; my dentist didnt really follow it up.

Main points from the report as follows:
Arousal Index 18.2; RDI 13.1 [so both in mild 5-15 range].
[The RDI was exclusively from hypopnea episodes; no OSA or central apneas.]
Sleep efficiency was 91% and lowest SaO2 was 96% [so my oxygen levels seemed ok]
Conclusion:No significant snoring or obstructive sleep apnoea. Infrequent hypopnoea and occasional arousals with bruxism.
Clinical Recommendations
1. Clinical correlation recommended.
2. Optimised sleep hygiene and improved nasal and upper airway patency (incl ENT assessment as indicated) may be of benefit.
3. Sleep physician review if concerning or persistent symptoms.

I already wear a night guard for bruxism and to fix an overbite; and had actually had sinus surgery for chronic sinus inflammation and deviated septum 6 months prior to the sleep test. But maybe im still not breathing properly? Also they seemed to be mostly, but not exclusively, when on my back

I guess I am just wondering whether I should get this followed up given I am still really sleepy. It seems mild, but also does seem as if something is not quite right.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie questions re sleep test results
Welcome to the forum Frances! Sounds like you would benefit from having a sleep study at a sleep lab preferrably. It sounds like you may have SA. Need to talk to your GP to get things started.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Frances,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Show your report to your doctor and hopefully, you can arrange to get another sleep study done.
I wish you good luck, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi! Thanks for the replies!
Why do I need another test? Because it was 3 years ago? Also it there a difference between lab and inhome tests?
Im wondering if its an issue given no apneas, and oxygen saturation seemed ok... But I guess I am still tired!

F
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the lab tests are more conclusive and gather more information. They wire you all up with electrodes or whathaveyou. You are observed and recorded both video and electronically and then the PSG is read by a medical doctor who specializes in sleep disorders.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 154 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 98 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.