Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ASV and Heart Failure
ASV and Heart Failure
I know this is a old report but there has been a lot of talk about it in some threads. I thought I'd post a link for those who haven't read it before.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJ...Background
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ASV and Heart Failure
Thanks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2017, 06:43 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: I know this is a old report but there has been a lot of talk about it in some threads. I thought I'd post a link for those who haven't read it before.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJ...Background

Walla- And then there is this.  Is one to believe a incomplete/possibly faulty test study embraced by the industry or a counter-claim by a couple MD's?? Thinking-about

ASV in CHF Recommendations Too Restrictive

Be nice to know for sure, as a study can be conducted in a manner to skew data for the purpose of proving a desired point, OR in a manner to assess all data to be weighed and provide an accurate conclusion. Sort of a PC way to say, 'follow the money' maybe..
Post Reply Post Reply
One would think that swaying medical advice and professional medical opinions should not be tainted by money or risk violations of HIPPA...But that's what I get for thinking.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
zzzZorro,

I don't support the study. I just posted the link so others could read it. It's up to everyone to draw their own conclusions.
I myself found it to have too many missing facts.

1. Of those that died what was their actual LVEF? We know all were at or below 45. But maybe those that died were well below that.

2. What were the ages of those that died?

3. What were the hours of compliance of those who died?

4. What was the average API of those who died?

What if it turns out the average person who died was 80 who only used his ASV 3 hours a night and had a LVEF of 30%.

The whole 45% LVEF thing was a knee jerk reaction to fear of lawsuits with no factual basis.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
zzz, thanks for posting that link. I have bookmarked it for future reference. I'll return the favor:

http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/42/Suppl_57/P324 don't overlook the recommended links and studies at the bottom of that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All valid questions Walla Walla. Wonder what the answers are.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2017, 10:57 AM)Walla Walla Wrote:  

The whole 45% LVEF thing was a knee jerk reaction to fear of lawsuits with no factual basis.

Exactly.  Off the top of my head this reeks of a "Study" directed to discredit ASV use.  Why?  Well, lets see:  The first thing that pops to mind, Medicare and the Insurance industry harvests untold millions by excluding those in the LVEF<45% "finding" (really now a mandate).  And, if/when the whole truth and facts finally find the "Study" to be incorrect, look at all the sorry Bas***ds they eliminated in the interim as a bonus [$$-savings to them].
Hammer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 50 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 162 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Sleep study heart rate 250 bpm phoebesalva 5 379 01-13-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  waking up every 15 minutes and heart shedu1337 11 875 12-26-2023, 06:38 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 815 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  heart palpitations starting CPAP: temporary? acordeon 4 609 12-14-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: acordeon
  F30 Full Face Mask - total failure?? BobH56 20 3,218 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rhwoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.