Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Which ASV machine to choose dilemna
RE: Which ASV machine to choose dilemna
(10-17-2017, 11:23 PM)Spy Car Wrote: I'd never counted my breaths-per-minute, so I picked a section at random from last night's ASV charts and it was 8 bpm. And I've been feeling the ASV is "pushing" my rate.

I'm still "negotiating" with the new machine over breathing rates. Much of the time we fall into sync (and the feeling is delicious). Sometimes the machine gets aggresive and ahead, and I've had to over breathe it or adapt to it.

Still figuring out this dance myself.

Bill

You can try what I call Blow back. Assuming you have FFM you can do a forceful exhale, and the ASV cuts down on pressures & timing for a bit. If on other masks it may not be as effective at backing off, but having never used other than FFM I don't know for sure.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2017, 10:22 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 11:23 PM)Spy Car Wrote: I'd never counted my breaths-per-minute, so I picked a section at random from last night's ASV charts and it was 8 bpm. And I've been feeling the ASV is "pushing" my rate.

I'm still "negotiating" with the new machine over breathing rates. Much of the time we fall into sync (and the feeling is delicious). Sometimes the machine gets aggresive and ahead, and I've had to over breathe it or adapt to it.

Still figuring out this dance myself.

Bill

You can try what I call Blow back. Assuming you have FFM you can do a forceful exhale, and the ASV cuts down on pressures & timing for a bit. If on other masks it may not be as effective at backing off, but having never used other than FFM I don't know for sure.

I don't have a FFM; however, I have employed "blow back" at times to overpower the machine. I prefer not getting in a test of wills with the machine, but...

Good news last night I had no issues.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Blow back is cheaper than a hammer smash to a stubborn ASV...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,288 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Equipment] Which ResMed to choose? Morseman 2 530 05-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Morseman
  Did I choose the wrong machine? AaronB123 0 515 01-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: AaronB123
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,778 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,300 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question How to choose new DME MagnoliaSolana 4 839 12-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Last Post: MagnoliaSolana
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,099 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.