Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newbie with AHI~50 & a new dream station biPAP
RE: newbie with AHI~50 & a new dream station biPAP
Your numbers look like totally untreated Apnea. You need to get the recommended pressure settings implemented. When will you be seeing your Doctor? It should be not later than tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with you seeing your doctor. The breaths themselves, when you take them look fairly normal. The closeup you showed was classic central apena with a gradual reduction of breathing effort. I think your machine is mis-reporting your apnea and that you actually have complex or central apnea, and unfortunately the breathing pattern you displayed suggests Cheyne-Stokes respiration. I completely agree that you need to see your doctor on this, and should be scheduling this as soon as possible. I think he would be quite concerned if he saw these exact same images. You might want to drop off copies of this at his office to see if that might expedite your next evaluation.

Are you aware of any cardiac or pulmonary conditions that might be in play?
Do you have a copy of your sleep study? Any central events there?

With regard to my previous recommendations for increased pressure, they may be valid for obstructive apnea, however, your most recent post has me thinking you will be learning about an "adaptive servo ventilator" ASV very soon.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may be headed towards a bipap asv, but I don't think your there yet. To switch to asv, >50% of the apneas need to be central. 90% of your issue right now is untreated obstructive apnea. Get that fixed first and if your still having central's and the Cheyne-Stokes then an asv titration should be considered.

Good to hear you used the cervical collar, we can now rule out any positional issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shared data and comments with my sleep doctor.
Here's what he told me to change on my DSX700: IPAP from 17 to 18, and pressure support from 5 to 4.
[Image: pj5pG26.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
You need a new Doctor. ASAP!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
That change will allow for your EPAP to get to 14 cmH2O max. Which is better than the 12 cmH2O max at previous settings. But....I'll bet you'll still need a higher IPAP setting to allow a higher EPAP. good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am more or less thinking out loud here. My observations have been that the apnea are being erroneously flagged as obstructive, but are central in nature, and we also see clear evidence of periodic breathing in the submitted charts. We know in certain individuals, that both of these event-types can be worse with pressure support.

rbookman, it would help us so much if you have copies of any titration study that was used to set your pressure, for you to share that information. If you don't already have a printed copy of your titration and sleep study, you should get that for you personal permanent records. You cannot be certain these important files will be available to you in the future if you do not keep them. They will be used for years to determine your eligibility for equipment and prescriptions. My specific interest is to see how CPAP therapy was rejected, and how pressure support and therapy pressures were determined. Particularly in light of your very high AHI, it is important to review what these studies found, or if the studies were conducted at all.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the report:

"RESPIRATORY (thorax & abdominal respiratory inductive
plethysmography, PAP derived flow):
Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) was applied from 4
cmH2O to 8 cmH2O via a medium Simplus full face mask. Failure of
CPAP prompted a change to bilevel PAP (BPAP) with sekngs from
inspiratory posiRve airway pressure/expiratory posiRve airway
pressure (IPAP/EPAP) of 13/8 cmH2O to 25/20 cmH2O. A chin strap
was added in an effort to reduce the amount of air leak. The mask
was eventually changed from the medium Simplus full face mask to
the medium Nuance nasal pillows per paRent request due to
reported discomfort. Patient had difficulty tolerating the higher
BPAP pressures, and requested for the pressures to be lowered as
well. Respiratory events persisted throughout the titration, with
combinaRon of obstrucRve apneas and hypopneas, in addiRon to
few central and mixed apneas."

And then:

"4. This was an unacceptable titration per American Academy of
Sleep Medicine criteria due to persistent respiratory events and
hypoxemia during this study, most significant during REM sleep. A
combinaRon of obstrucRve and central respiratory events with
significant hypoxemia were noted throughout most of the PAP
titration. A therapeuic pressure could not be determined. Mask
discomfort and BPAP intolerance at higher pressures were also
reported by the paRent. The patient’s head was propped up with
pillows during this study, and supine sleep was not recorded."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 91 Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 201 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 236 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,149 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.