Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: newly diagnosed
Whichever machine you eventually get make absolutely certain it is data-capable and is compatible with a readily available software.

I would also make certain to get an APAP bc its only few dollars more (under $50) and can function in either modes
APAP or CPAP (two machines in one)
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012 07:12 AM by zonk.)
08-25-2012 06:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
orel Offline

Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Finished sleep study with CPAP. Didn't sleep one minute. Not one single minute. Try as I might, I just couldn't let myself drift away while the machine was pushing air in my mouth and with my response. I lay there for 8 hours trying. The technician offered to set me up with an appointment with his boss, a sleep doctor. I'm supposed to get a call in the near future to set that up. But what happens now? If I do get an appointment with a sleep therapist it's probably not going to be anytime soon. Anyways, I'm logging off to get some gasping, choking, PAP-free sleep.
08-26-2012 07:19 AM
dakota Offline

Members

Machine: None
Mask Type: Not using mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: None
CPAP Pressure: None
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I am a registered sleep technologist

Sorry to hear that Orel. I have had that happen to a couple of my patients before. Definitely talk to the sleep doctor and hear what he or she has to say. If you don't hear anything in 10 business days CALL THE DOCTOR and set up the appointment yourself. I have had it where my patient was set up with an Auto PAP instead of the CPAP. Some people adjust better to APAP than CPAP. The doctor may suggest trying to acclimate using it at home by wearing it while watching TV just to get used to the sensation. Don't give up on it though.
08-27-2012 01:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Yes, ask about using an APAP at home for at least two weeks. This way they can use the data from it. The sleep study is ultimately better because they can judge REM sleep, leg movement, obstructive vs central, etc. An APAP can auto adjust the pressure as your body needs it but it really can't tell much more than that. Some can report snoring and some have the 'clear airway' data collecting.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-27-2012 02:10 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

(08-26-2012 07:19 AM)orel Wrote:  Finished sleep study with CPAP. Didn't sleep one minute. Not one single minute. Try as I might, I just couldn't let myself drift away while the machine was pushing air in my mouth and with my response. I lay there for 8 hours trying. The technician offered to set me up with an appointment with his boss, a sleep doctor. I'm supposed to get a call in the near future to set that up. But what happens now? If I do get an appointment with a sleep therapist it's probably not going to be anytime soon. Anyways, I'm logging off to get some gasping, choking, PAP-free sleep.

Any doctor who sends a patient for a sleep test without a sleeping pill in case you can't sleep is incompetent in my opinion. Maybe the results are less useful with a sleeping pill, but they're useless without sleep.

Talk to your doctor and don't let him get away without giving you a prescription for a pill to take the night of the test if you can't sleep.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
08-27-2012 05:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ordered a Auto CPAP / Was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea jakthebomb 15 811 10-18-2016 08:00 AM
Last Post: southerndoc
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,084 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  newly diagnosed-resmed question mummadee 3 339 09-18-2016 06:48 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment SleepySleeps 30 1,246 09-12-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: SleepySleeps
  [Diagnosis] Just Diagnosed, getting my CPAP next week bernerbits 21 973 09-09-2016 07:05 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
  Just diagnosed Skittles3350 7 324 08-29-2016 10:22 PM
Last Post: Skittles3350
  Newly Diagnosed With Question ronsch00 9 787 08-29-2016 06:04 PM
Last Post: ronsch00