Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

newly diagnosed
RE: newly diagnosed
Whichever machine you eventually get make absolutely certain it is data-capable and is compatible with a readily available software.

I would also make certain to get an APAP bc its only few dollars more (under $50) and can function in either modes
APAP or CPAP (two machines in one)

Post Reply Post Reply
Finished sleep study with CPAP. Didn't sleep one minute. Not one single minute. Try as I might, I just couldn't let myself drift away while the machine was pushing air in my mouth and with my response. I lay there for 8 hours trying. The technician offered to set me up with an appointment with his boss, a sleep doctor. I'm supposed to get a call in the near future to set that up. But what happens now? If I do get an appointment with a sleep therapist it's probably not going to be anytime soon. Anyways, I'm logging off to get some gasping, choking, PAP-free sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear that Orel. I have had that happen to a couple of my patients before. Definitely talk to the sleep doctor and hear what he or she has to say. If you don't hear anything in 10 business days CALL THE DOCTOR and set up the appointment yourself. I have had it where my patient was set up with an Auto PAP instead of the CPAP. Some people adjust better to APAP than CPAP. The doctor may suggest trying to acclimate using it at home by wearing it while watching TV just to get used to the sensation. Don't give up on it though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, ask about using an APAP at home for at least two weeks. This way they can use the data from it. The sleep study is ultimately better because they can judge REM sleep, leg movement, obstructive vs central, etc. An APAP can auto adjust the pressure as your body needs it but it really can't tell much more than that. Some can report snoring and some have the 'clear airway' data collecting.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2012, 07:19 AM)orel Wrote: Finished sleep study with CPAP. Didn't sleep one minute. Not one single minute. Try as I might, I just couldn't let myself drift away while the machine was pushing air in my mouth and with my response. I lay there for 8 hours trying. The technician offered to set me up with an appointment with his boss, a sleep doctor. I'm supposed to get a call in the near future to set that up. But what happens now? If I do get an appointment with a sleep therapist it's probably not going to be anytime soon. Anyways, I'm logging off to get some gasping, choking, PAP-free sleep.

Any doctor who sends a patient for a sleep test without a sleeping pill in case you can't sleep is incompetent in my opinion. Maybe the results are less useful with a sleeping pill, but they're useless without sleep.

Talk to your doctor and don't let him get away without giving you a prescription for a pill to take the night of the test if you can't sleep.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 281 5 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 50 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 379 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 289 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,804 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 407 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.