Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nicchamilton - Therapy Thread
nicchamilton - Therapy Thread
Just got CPAP airsense 10 autoset with resmed fit f20 due to the fact i have trouble breathing through my nose some nights. 
I guess i would like to hear tips and tricks for people with UARS. Will be downloading OSCAR software.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Diagnosed with UARS just got CPAP with mask need help setting it up
For UARS, you will benefit from the bilevel pressure of the Airsense 10 Autoset using EPR full-time at setting 3. The minimum pressure of the CPAP is 4.0 cm, so to realize the full benefit of EPR setting 3, the minimum CPAP pressure must be 7.00. Assuming you are setting it up yourself, start with Autoset mode, minimum pressure 7.0, Maximum pressure 12.0 and EPR On, Full-Time, Setting 3 and set the mask type to full.

I think a nasal pillows mask is actually the easiest to use and seal, as long as you don't lose pressure through your mouth. The direct pressure on the nares opens nasal passages and makes nasal breathing easier, even if you are normally congested. In 15 years of using PAP, I have never used a full-face, even during colds and sinus infections.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Say, @nicchamilton, when you get a chance, it really helps if you fill out the details in your account so they appear with your avatar over to the left. This keeps you from having to repeat your details in multiple posts, and it helps readers zoom in on those details quickly wherever you post.
Post Reply Post Reply
my doctor put these settings on the machine - 8-15 cwp, Ramp Start 4/15 min, EPR 3
Post Reply Post Reply
Cant breathe as soon as I start to doze off and wake up gasping for air a bit
First night using CPAP. On APAP mode. 

I watched tv for an hour with the mask on and didnt have too much difficulty breathing although exhaling feels weird. When I try to sleep its comfortable. I start to doze off and as soon I almost fall asleep I cant breathe and wake up. Its almost like im forgetting to breathe. Is this a me thing or CPAP pressure thing?

I have EPR on 3 auto always on. Ramp off.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cant breathe as soon as I start to doze off and wake up gasping for air a bit
(04-26-2024, 12:12 PM)nicchamilton Wrote: I start to doze off and as soon I almost fall asleep I cant breathe and wake up. Its almost like im forgetting to breathe. Is this a me thing or CPAP pressure thing?
 You might need to increase your minimum pressure. 
Post your Oscar result so that the experts can comment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cant breathe as soon as I start to doze off and wake up gasping for air a bit
I  had that issue when I first started using CPAP.  I'd start to fall asleep and then wake up feeling I somehow stopped breathing.  I'd go through several cycles of this before I'd finally fall asleep.  I've seen others report it as well.

The good news is that feeling goes away with time.  If you are starting with a low pressure, you might try starting with a higher pressure to see if that helps.  Or you might reduce your EPR and see if that helps.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of giving your brain time to get better at switching from normal awake breathing to sleep breathing while using CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Im starting with pressure on 8 with epr 3
Post Reply Post Reply
Try EPR 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your Oscar report does not show the whole night of flow rate, and the flow limits are not on the chart.  It would help us help you if you correct that.

Aside from that, your ramp is turned on.  It would be best to turn it off.  Change your low pressure to 9 instead of 8.  Then let us know if you feel any better tomorrow.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Tbrock8905 - Therapy Thread Tbrock8905 30 413 9 hours ago
Last Post: Tbrock8905
  burps216 Therapy Thread burps216 3 68 Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Last Post: hwnboy
Wink hwnboy therapy thread hwnboy 37 864 Yesterday, 08:11 AM
Last Post: hwnboy
  Myofunctional Therapy WisNaeMe 0 51 Yesterday, 04:57 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
Question AT's Therapy Analysis Pawpri 69 2,607 Yesterday, 01:53 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Shadowknight - Therapy Analysis Shadowknight 4 166 05-14-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help with optimising therapy voluhar 6 214 05-14-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: voluhar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.