Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

no chin strap till monday
no chin strap till monday
anything i can create till then
thanks for advice

air apparently not going down throat
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: no chin strap till monday
(04-28-2016, 08:05 AM)jxyzobrien Wrote: anything i can create till then
thanks for advice

air apparently not going down throat

Try White Stretchy Gauze about 3 to 4 inches wide. Place under chin and pull up to top of head and tie off. You will probably have to cut it to size. Don't make too tight.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A short length of Ace bandage.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 08:35 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: A piece of Ace bandage.

Better yet! Would be a little sturdier than gauze. like
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second and third the idea of an Ace bandage - I am getting one today! I HATE my Respironics Premium Chin Strap.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a headband temporarily as a chinstrap before I got a real chinstrap. It stretched out quickly, but I could shrink it back down in the washing machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a soft cervical collar instead. Most large pharmacies (drug stores?) carry them. I found it a big improvement over a chinstrap and they're a lot cheaper as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ran out to Wally World and got a 4 inch Ace Bandage and tried it last night. Cost $1.98.

The Good:

It worked BETTER and easier than the Respironics Premium Chin Strap I have been trying with my P10 Nasal Pillows.

* It is easy to put on, and I could easily try several different ways to wrap it.
* It stayed in place not slipping around and needing fiddling with during my flopping around at night.
* My leak rate was lower over all and I experienced no mouth breathing events for the first time.
* It is comfortable, no bumps, hard spots or scratchiness.
* It is very inexpensive. I can buy ten Ace bandages for the price of the typical Chin Strap. (Or five cheap chin straps)

The Bad:

* It's warm. I am not sure if this will be a problem for me or not yet. It isn't hot, but it was warm enough to notice when I woke this morning. I am using the entire length of the Ace bandage, and I am still considering cutting it in half since it goes around twice - but that also might be why it works so well.
* I lost one of the little clip things the first morning taking it off in the dark.

I can say, if you are struggling with mouth breathing, this worked for me.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 04:55 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I lost one of the little clip things the first morning taking it off in the dark.

I thought the newer ace bandages used velcro instead of the clips. . . Silly Me!

Really, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2016, 07:07 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 04:55 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I lost one of the little clip things the first morning taking it off in the dark.

I thought the newer ace bandages used velcro instead of the clips. . . Silly Me!

Really, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

Seems like I got one with velcro a while back, this was an Ace brand 4 inch bandage from Wally World - maybe Walmart still has a warehouse full of the old ones they are trying to unload Smile
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 597 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,108 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,540 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 111 6,172 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.