Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

non-CPAP device, for in-flight use
non-CPAP device, for in-flight use
I'm a CPAP user, moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Am thinking about getting one of the passive devices that hold the tongue, for long flights. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: non-CPAP device, for in-flight use
(07-29-2019, 12:45 AM)Moe52 Wrote: I'm a CPAP user, moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Am thinking about getting one of the passive devices that hold the tongue, for long flights. Thoughts?

Could work. But I'm wondering if just sleeping in elevated position of an airline seat would also reduce your OA? Unless you pay for the fancy business class seats that lay flat for long flights, you'll be on an incline. (I have to sleep with my head elevated or my sinuses interfere with airflow, so my experience may be quite different than yours.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2019, 12:45 AM)Moe52 Wrote: I'm a CPAP user, moderate obstructive sleep apnea. Am thinking about getting one of the passive devices that hold the tongue, for long flights. Thoughts?

if the 2 versions that are available off-the-shelf don't work for you, youll need a custom made.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a tongue advancement holder thing before cpap. I think it quieted snoring some but for me the problem was nonstop drooling. I haven't tried it sitting up on an airplane; maybe drooling would be less of an issue. plus you're not likely to sleep very deeply on a plane so drooling might be relatively manageable during those dozing nodding 'arousals' that typify (my) 'sleep' while in a plane or car. I was unable to use the tongue holder with a nasal pillow mask due to drooling and lip leaks. still, it's worth trying. maybe wearing one of those neck supporting wraps backwards to hold up your lower jaw and chin will help too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Oh, yeah, I didn't notice this at first, but the ones I've seen aren't designed to hold your tongue. They are designed to hold your lower jaw forward, hence why they are called Mandibular Advancement Devices. They work somewhat for some people who have mild or moderate obstructive apnea, but they also can cause jaw pain and problems with your bite. Some of the custom ones are marketed to dentists as a way to expand their practice and charge ridiculous fees. Some people wind up paying around $4,000 for custom MADs, way more than a CPAP costs. So if you look into a custom MAD, get a quote that includes the full cost up front, including all adjustments and follow up visits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a MAD for much of the 1990s, made by a local orthodontist ahead of his time. he was roundly criticized by the medical establishment for intruding into their bailiwick. MAD was more tolerable than the tongue holder because it didn't cause drooling. during my pre-cpap time with the tongue holder I was using 'sleep as android' on my phone to monitor sleep and record snoring so I have some basis for thinking it quieted my snoring. when I was using the MAD I had no way to monitor effectiveness but subjectively I'd say my results were similar with both. the tongue holder is a lot less expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2019, 01:15 PM)Stom Wrote:

Oh, yeah, I didn't notice this at first, but the ones I've seen aren't designed to hold your tongue. They are designed to hold your lower jaw forward, hence why they are called Mandibular Advancement Devices. They work somewhat for some people who have mild or moderate obstructive apnea, but they also can cause jaw pain and problems with your bite. Some of the custom ones are marketed to dentists as a way to expand their practice and charge ridiculous fees. Some people wind up paying around $4,000 for custom MADs, way more than a CPAP costs. So if you look into a custom MAD, get a quote that includes the full cost up front, including all adjustments and follow up visits.

OP is talking about Tongue retaining devices which are an alternative to a MAD in that the hold they tongue and not the lower jaw.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,041 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 365 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 327 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 355 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice pamphlet 7 896 09-16-2023, 02:10 AM
Last Post: pamphlet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.