Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

noob here, with the usual problems
noob here, with the usual problems
it looks like am struggling with common problems as other threads indicate.  I went in bought my "Apex Medical iCH II Auto machine with PVA and Built-In Heated Humidifier (Second Generation)" from Amazon with the nostrils only mask and I thought in one night I would experience the best sleep ever and wake up a new person....NOT
the nose mask was irritating my nostrils, the thing was blowing air like a hurricane up my nose (set to APAP), I kept taking the mask off, it was a disaster, I barely got any sleep....so disappointed but now I understand thanks to this board that this could take a few months to get used to it....so I am not going in with the same expectations anymore.

any tips for my machine and settings? am a bit dissapointed it appears i bought one thats not very recommended by this forums, but I bought it on my own. I have taken sleep studies before but I can never sleep with all those dang things attached to me all over my body and I end up not sleeping at all and the results come back saying I dont have apnea, LOL, duh.....so I got fedup after a pulse oximeter showed me I was clearly losing o2 badly during apnea episodes and just went out bought my own....

any help appreciated....below is a chart from last night with APEX software
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: noob here, with the usual problems
I don't see a chart so here is a bunch of reading.

New to Apnea - helpful tips to ensure success  Now in a wiki article
Post Reply Post Reply
It takes time to adjust to xPAP therapy. Some adjust quicker than others. If it was "blowing like a hurricane" then you have major leaks. Fix the leaks. The only flow should be the built in leak rate plus your inhale volume. The purpose of a PAP device unless you have a ASV, is to pressurize your airway to make an air splint to hold open the airway. It is not a mechanical respirator. \\Post up your graph, or even better a link through imgur as detailed in bonjour's post above. You have to have a certain number of posts to include either a link or an image so as a work around you can leave a space in the imgur link and we can look at what you have.

Good Breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
the forum wont let me post pics until I have 4 posts, I think this one might do it
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi imrj,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP does take time to get used to, just stick with it, over time, it gets better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
A key suggestion for leaks, use a larger size nasal pillow than you think you need. On an Auto CPAP, start pressure higher (6.0), and cap maximum pressure at 12.0 until you know you need more.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed on the nasal pillow size to a point.
I was fitted with a Medium P10, and it works pretty well, with minor leaks.
I tried a Large and my breathing effort seems to be significantly reduced.
The problem was, if one of the pillows became displaced during the night, it was impossible for my groggy self to get it back into my nostril.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I concur with the tweaks recommended thus far. You'll get the hang of it soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
well finally I have slept the last 2 nights all night long with the nasal mask on the entire time, and abssolutely the larger nasal fixings worked much better and less irritation on the nose, I seem to be feeling better durring the day but not as much as I had expected I guess, wife says I dont snore anymore with the machine on, so at least she is happy!!

here is my chart from last night.....would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

http://imgur.com/7ykLgZ3

[Image: 7ykLgZ3.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was my chart I would have 8 minimum 13 max, for a few days. it would increase the minimum to try and stop a few OA/H before they start
I think you will end up around min 10 as you adjust over a few weeks
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 16 1,871 1 hour ago
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 141 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 212 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 223 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,820 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,528 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 978 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.