Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

noob
noob
i dont know where to start. if only i had a few weeks to review the board so many questions would be answered.

going in for my fourth sleep study this weekend. so far a waste of time-theirs and mine. for 2 years i have used the machine nearly every night [ until the last 3 months] and i am so exhausted i cant function and have been to the ER 4 times. i am getting more sleep without the machine.

do i need a program like sleepyhead to review my stats. does or do the machines have this feature? is this the best starting point? how do you read the info?

obviously i need to get tough with them and get better results but how do you be nice and still get answers. i dont know if it is the supplier or the tech or the doc laying down on the job.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: noob
Your profile says you have an S9. You need an S9 Autoset or Elite (not "Escape") to use sleepyhead. Sleepyhead just installs on your PC, then you take the SD card from your machine, WRITE PROTECT IT!!!!, and insert it into your PC. Sleepyhead then has an "Import" function which will pull your data.

Then you will see the beautiful graphs of the data, and any event flags. Interpreting it is more of a challenge.

Your machine should have the ability to display an AHI (sorry, I have a Respironics so I can't tell you how), which is the main statistic used. It should be <5. If it's more than 5, the therapy is considered "non-effective" clinically.

I'm surprised you've had 4 sleep studies and they still haven't figured things out. It's hard when you're sleep deprived, but if you're in the USA you're entitled to a full copy of your sleep study data under the HIPPA law. You may have to pay a small duplication fee (especially if they saved the video).

You're using a full face mask: Is it comfortable? Did you try a nose mask or nasal pillows? Many people find nasal pillows like the Resmed P10 or Respironics Nuance to be much more comfortable than the older "fighter pilot" masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nodreams,
WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm sorry your track record with sleep studies hasn't been very good for you so far.
I hope the one this weekend goes better for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and better luck to you this time with your sleep study.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

You might be getting more sleep without the machine but is it a restful sleep?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
i have learned more in 48 hr here than in 3years from the peoples supposed to help me. they want to keep everything a secret so they are in control.

translate AHI to beginner. i had no idea i could access this stuff.

no i dont get restful sleep without the resmed. but with it i have got no sleep. cant get to sleep and cant stay asleep.

about 3 years ago i had a nose mask but the air escaped through my mouth. the pressure was set low back then maybe 5 mm. then they raised the pressure to 9 a year later. for the next year i got some sleep and was wearing the full face mask. then something changed with me. after another study they raised the pressure to 13. haven't slept since. [ 6 months ] i can turn it down to about 11 and sleep a little.

usually it is a leaking mask that wakes me when it is set at the pressure they say i need. last night i had the mask so tight i had to take it off. i have 2 different face masks. one resmed quattro [ i think] it is comfortable but i cannot stop the leaks. the other has a support up between my eyes and i think it is too small.

i am considering going back to the nasal mask and duct tape. [for my mouth] i cant seem to keep my tongue in place to stop air from escaping.

machines? is a new one in order? is this one out of date? or do i just need more instruction.

i am very grateful for the help. extremely

Post Reply Post Reply
Deep breath my friend. I have a lot of the same issues. After doing so well I'm fighting leaks like the little dutch boy plugging the dyke. Load up Sleepyhead and take a look at your data. There are many threads on how to interpret the data it's almost mind boggling. But there are lots of people here that know much about it and are patient enough to explain the graphs. As they used to say in NASA decades ago, lets work the problem.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
No dreams, the first thing you need to do is tell us which S9 machine you have. S9 is lik saying Ford, there are many models. The name is usually above and to the left of the start button. If you have the Escape model, there is no useful data stored. The others store data and you can get a glimpse of it on the screen by turning the knob and pushing it at the right time.
The best solution is to download Sleepyhead and install it on your computer. There are plenty of folks here who will help you figure it out.
It may be counter intuitive but when your mask is leaking it may be too tight. Most modern masks inflate the seal like a balloon to mold to your face and prevent leaks. When you make it too tight, you are crushing it so it can't inflate to fit to your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
welcome nodreams.

leaks - On the Quattro F10 FFM and other similar masks, the leaks do not have to be completely eliminated. Enough leakage is disruptive to your sleep and jets of air can dry out your eyes. But, using a soft fabric lining between mask and face results in less (or no) perceived leakage, as the air travelling through the porous fabric only serves to cool the skin slightly. This soothing feeling can actually be a calming effect. Yes, experiment with slight loosening of the mask to see if leakage can be controlled.

sleep - is there any position you favor over others when you successful in nodding off? generally, obstructive apnea tends to be worse if you are lying on your back. a variety of positional options exist, including sleep in a recliner, back sleeping with head of the bed somewhat elevated (3 or 4 inches), sleep on left or right side (one is usually better than the other). I believe you'll get most to tell you that sleeping of their left side is better than on the right side. I think there is a physiological reason for that.

staying asleep - Some of us have trouble staying asleep, like sleep for real, but wake every 1.5 to 3 hours. Don't be incredibly worried about that, just decide to sleep way more often. I usually get 3 chunks of roughly 2 hours per night, with 60 to 90 minutes in between.

staying on therapy - Some do not keep their masks on every time they try to sleep. It really helps if you can convince yourself to always use the mask, even if that means getting 5 hours of sleep attempts instead of 5 hours with mask on plus 3 hours without.

other medical conditions - do you also suffer from one or more of the conditions that relate to apnea, such as high blood pressure, afib, diabetes, COPD, restless leg syndrome, nocturia? You'll notice several of us have these conditions and that sleep with CPAP often makes some of the symptoms reduce.

settings - most of the newer models can adjust the treatment pressure throughout the night. If your model is one that can be set on "auto", you may find better results can be had.

be sure to get your sleep test results, as this may answer some questions, especially if your model of CPAP does not have data or autosetting features.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
They didn't tell you that there are such things as chin straps? Don't use duck/duct tape! Make them give you a chin strap and hopefully you see this before your sleep study so you can have them try you on a nasal mask and chin strap during your sleep study. I have been through 3 lousy sleep studies (I still remember one that when I asked for the tech when I was hooked up, they took 30 minutes to answer me and I swear they were sleeping; this was my first test).

Then, I switched to another location (the 3rd location) for the 4th test. I had the manager offer to meet me at the sleep center and he brought many masks that were brand new and let me look at all of them and choose which one(s) I wanted to try. I tried those and decided on the wisp nasal mask. He also gave me a high quality chin strap. I took them home and used them for 2 weeks prior to my sleep study. The only thing that I think that would have made the sleep study better would have been if I had a fresh, new cushion. Anyway, this was the best sleep study of all and I thought I got a lot more sleep than I actually did. I fell asleep faster than any other time, thought I slept longer, tech said they got good info so I left earlier than I needed to. The only thing I had happen that wasn't the best was that the stuff they used to put the wires in my hair made me bleed when he took the wires off. I don't know why kind of cement they used to put them on lol

That being said, here is hoping that this sleep study is the one. I think you would do a lot better with a different mask, chin strap (I no longer need mine each night) and get back on therapy and let us try and help you. The damage to your body and organs is/can be severe with untreated apnea. Then watch your data in SH or Rescan if your machine is data capable other than compliance.

Did/does anyone know where robysue's post is about how to understand the graphs, etc. in SH?

(06-26-2015, 05:29 PM)nodreams Wrote: i have learned more in 48 hr here than in 3years from the peoples supposed to help me. they want to keep everything a secret so they are in control.

translate AHI to beginner. i had no idea i could access this stuff.

no i dont get restful sleep without the resmed. but with it i have got no sleep. cant get to sleep and cant stay asleep.

about 3 years ago i had a nose mask but the air escaped through my mouth. the pressure was set low back then maybe 5 mm. then they raised the pressure to 9 a year later. for the next year i got some sleep and was wearing the full face mask. then something changed with me. after another study they raised the pressure to 13. haven't slept since. [ 6 months ] i can turn it down to about 11 and sleep a little.

usually it is a leaking mask that wakes me when it is set at the pressure they say i need. last night i had the mask so tight i had to take it off. i have 2 different face masks. one resmed quattro [ i think] it is comfortable but i cannot stop the leaks. the other has a support up between my eyes and i think it is too small.

i am considering going back to the nasal mask and duct tape. [for my mouth] i cant seem to keep my tongue in place to stop air from escaping.

machines? is a new one in order? is this one out of date? or do i just need more instruction.

i am very grateful for the help. extremely

Post Reply Post Reply
Her blog is a good place to start reading: http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogspot.com/

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 234 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 893 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 462 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Bipap Noob Questions supyasieve 14 1,150 10-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: supyasieve
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,470 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Noob - posting first OSCAR screenshot Cool 2 758 02-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Cool
Gross [CPAP] Mask Help for Noob Johnnyde94 11 1,333 09-22-2020, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Johnnyde94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.