Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

nose pillow problem - maybe?
nose pillow problem - maybe?
Hello, I'm new to the board and thus far have just been reading and learning (thank you all I'm earning a lot).

I've been using CPap for 1 month with a FFM (Simplus). I have very sensitive skin and am prone to small broken blood vessels and even with pads I noticed a couple more from the mask. I multiply this times using for the rest of my life (I'm 56) and I panic!! So decided to give nasal pillows a try. Got Swift FX for her from my DME person. I started with small but they felt uncomfortable so went to x small (I do have a small nose). So 2 nights ago I used with a chin strap. I felt I had a pretty successful night for a first time, though I do remember feeling some pain in my nose and removed after 5 hours. Morning after I see a bump about 1 mm in diameter on the top of my nose. It doesn't hurt, isn't really firm, no discoloration, no broken skin. It's actually hard to notice at first. Do you think it is possible for air to have been forced under my skin from inside my nose? I can't be 100% certain it wasn't there before but I don't think it was. But of course now I am panicking that it was and I have skin cancer!!!!! It's only been 2 days and I have not used the pillows again but still wondering if anyone has any insight.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nose pillow problem - maybe?
No. You don't say in your profile what unit you are using (there are multiple versions of the Resmed S-10) but if it is one of the CPAP or Auto CPAP units the MAX pressure is 20 cm/H20. That is not even enough to inflate a balloon.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, mhelen. Welcome to the forum.

I don't think the air pressure is causing your problem and you most likely don't have skin cancer. A sore nose is a common occurrence when first starting with nasal pillows and small bumps and lesions can be caused by the irritation from the nasal pillow.

First, the mask needs to be as loose as possible and still keep a good seal. If you have what folks around here call "piggy nose" your mask is too tight. Getting the right tension takes some experimentation and may take a few nights.

As for the soreness, I use HPA Lanolin around the rim of each nostril and at areas the mask may be rubbing on. It prevents irritation, helps the sore areas heal and also helps the pillows seal better. I use it every night as it makes my pillows more comfortable. A little goes a long way. Some say a pea sized bead for both nostrils, but I find half of that is sufficient for me. The lanolin can be found on the baby supplies aisle in most pharmacies and discount houses.

Best of luck with your CPAP treatment. You will find it takes commitment, perseverance and experimentation to find what works for you, but in the end it is well worth it.

Regards,
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mhelen,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replying. I had gone back to the FFM to see if the bump would go away but so far it has not changed at all. Saw my dermatologist today and she was a little puzzled as to what it is. (It's a pretty subtle bump; to everyone but me that is :-) ) My doctor wants me to go to Plastics to see about getting get a biopsy just in case but also says with my sensitive skin it could just be plugged pores so maybe by the time the referral gets processed it will be gone. Meanwhile the FFM has been driving me crazy so last night I used the nasal pillows again. Swift FX for her, no leaks and I didn't even use a chin strap (been practicing keeping my mouth closed with the FFM). I was even able to keep it on for almost 7 1/2 hours and slept better than I have in a month! So I am done with the FFM and I am going to stick with the nasal pillows, loosened up a little and hope the bump goes away. Thanks again for replying.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,572 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.