Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S9 fan noise when inhaling
Gross 
Resmed S9 fan noise when inhaling
My equipment is about 4 years old and recently started making a weird whine when I inhale. It seems like the fan speeds up on inhaling and normalizes on exhale. The pitch is just high enough to be annoying and is affecting my sleep. Is this normal wear and tear or do I need to have the unit serviced?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 fan noise when inhaling
Welcome

It is normal for these machines to speed up when you inhale: they need to push through more air to maintain the set pressure. When you exhale, less is needed.

The new whine could indicate a few things. If it sounds more like a whistle, it could be a gasket that is worn out, not seated correctly, or pinched. Or that could be a hole in you hose. If the whine sounds more metallic, It could be a bearing in the blower (or whatever they use).

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Hley1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've also noticed my machine is noisier when I use my FFM and has gotten noisier as it gets older. I can switch to the nasal pillows and it not make much noise at all.

Disconnect the humidifier and connect straight to the blower unit. If the noise stops, then the racket is probably the humidifier gasket or water in the tub (I sometimes get a whistle if there is water on top the tub).

If the noise continues, then it could be bearings, an internal gasket, or just plain noise. Try putting a thick towel over the machine or put it in a drawer. Just ensure the filter is clear!! I keep a towel to toss over mine for those nights when, for some reason, every little sound irritates me and I can't sleep.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,280 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 146 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 345 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.