Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

not getting good sleep
not getting good sleep
hi all...

after a bad reaction to CPAP I have been trying other methods of dealing with my apnea.
Have to say I have had some success but still do not feel like I am sleeping well.

Got a new Oximeter, tried it last night...I know one night cannot tell the whole story, but this looks like disturbed sleep to me...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/st...5c6d7d.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/st...68f1eb.jpg

I will do a few more nights and see what I get, then I feel like it is another trip to the sleep doc.

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: not getting good sleep
Hum, I could not really read the numbers or the chart; but the lines do not look really good.

I apologize, storywizard, for not having read what the problem with the CPAP was. Hopefully, you and the medical staff can work through the problems.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
IIRC, storywizard has Central Apnea. None of the things that open up the airway for OSA sufferers is going to help with that since the cause is not obstructions. Vsheline gave him some very good advice in another thread, so I wont try to repeat any of it - I am not afflicted with CA and can't offer experience there Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 04:30 PM)DariaVader Wrote: IIRC, storywizard has Central Apnea. None of the things that open up the airway for OSA sufferers is going to help with that since the cause is not obstructions. Vsheline gave him some very good advice in another thread, so I wont try to repeat any of it - I am not afflicted with CA and can't offer experience there Smile

Yes, CA's appear to be what this is, and I am not looking forward to trying CPAP again, but if it is the only way of dealing with this then I will have to find a way to surrender to the machine...:-)

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 05:27 PM)storywizard Wrote: Yes, CA's appear to be what this is, and I am not looking forward to trying CPAP again, but if it is the only way of dealing with this then I will have to find a way to surrender to the machine...:-)

Storywizard

CPAP is not the fix either. that just splints the airway open, it doesn't do anything to tell your body to breathe. You need to obtain an ASV. You need a sleep study that shows the CAs and a rx for an ASV.

Since CA originates in the brain, and can be affected by drugs and alcohol and by anything else that interrupts the autonomic nervous system, you need medical workup to rule out issues that may contribute to that, such as MS. If you have a condition that is contributing to the CAs, you should treat it to stop or slow its progression.

I hope you are able to get help soon. This has been going on a while for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 05:37 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(02-10-2015, 05:27 PM)storywizard Wrote: Yes, CA's appear to be what this is, and I am not looking forward to trying CPAP again, but if it is the only way of dealing with this then I will have to find a way to surrender to the machine...:-)

Storywizard

CPAP is not the fix either. that just splints the airway open, it doesn't do anything to tell your body to breathe. You need to obtain an ASV. You need a sleep study that shows the CAs and a rx for an ASV.

Since CA originates in the brain, and can be affected by drugs and alcohol and by anything else that interrupts the autonomic nervous system, you need medical workup to rule out issues that may contribute to that, such as MS. If you have a condition that is contributing to the CAs, you should treat it to stop or slow its progression.

I hope you are able to get help soon. This has been going on a while for you.

Thanks for the reply...

Last fall I had an overnight sleep study, all the wires and cameras...I slept terribly, on my back, snored like a trooper...they did not find any CAs...so I don't trust sleep studies as present...the sleep techs and the doctor did not want to see my Sleepyhead data, they both denied any centrals and my symptoms...am trying another sleep clinic this time, an at home test...

I have always had poor sleep, may just be age related stuff too adding to the mix...

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 05:45 PM)storywizard Wrote: Thanks for the reply...

Last fall I had an overnight sleep study, all the wires and cameras...I slept terribly, on my back, snored like a trooper...they did not find any CAs...so I don't trust sleep studies as present...the sleep techs and the doctor did not want to see my Sleepyhead data, they both denied any centrals and my symptoms...am trying another sleep clinic this time, an at home test...

I have always had poor sleep, may just be age related stuff too adding to the mix...

Storywizard

In that case, the CAs may not be true CA. That would be good for you... CA is harder to treat, and has worse implications all around. Do you have a copy of the actual data from the sleep study? Sleeping terrible for the sleep study does mean that the data from it is less reliable IMO. An at home test won't find CA.

If you are sleeping badly, your cpap may falsely detect CA when you hold your breath for other reasons (yawn, sigh, actual breath holding due to frustration, pain)

Snoring is a symptom of OSA and not so much CA.

Was CPAP bad because you were still tired and had bad numbers? or was it bad because it was uncomfy and you couldnt get used to mask, air, venting, etc... ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi storywizard,
Wow, you have had a struggle for quite a while with sleep problems. I hope your next sleep study goes better for and that you can get used to CPAP therapy this next time around.
Goodluck to you and keep us posted on how things go.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
CA's can be caused by everything from brain damage to medications to other afflictions. It is going to take a very good sleep doc to diagnose and deal with centrals; and the collection of much detailed information (keep it in a binder) for the doc to look at.

My doc thought I was having centrals; my pulse oximeter was showing MANY desats and periods of high pulse rate associated with same.

I would certainly not leave this lie. I would pursue it like a pit bull. Infused oxygen may help to keep your SpO2 above 90%.... a racing pulse at 148 bpm is a sign of bad news. No question. It needs to be addressed and it may not be completely apnea related. Have you been checked out by a GOOD cardiologist for (for example) Atrial Fibrillation. This combined with your apnea skyrockets your risk of stroke and that is what worries me. Unfortunately, sleep apnea seems to be associated with the onset and progression of AFIB and this is not a happy situation. Once diagnosed with AFIB (IF diagnosed with AFIB) you want to get with a top notch cardiologist/ELECTROPHYSIOLOGIST to address it and you want to do it early, before your heart has a chance to remodel itself.

You are correct in assuming that you need more data but it does not end there. The desats are common to AFIB, as are the high pulse rates. In a clinical environment they should have the means to measure your Blood Pressure as well, triggered by a high pulse rate or a desat. The trick is to catch all of the data at the right time through the night so that a diagnosis can be made. AFIB is not to be fooled with as it is a major stroke risk. Even apnea on its own, left untreated, is a major stroke risk.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to post on someone else's post but I dont know how to make my own. I have been on cpap for about 8 weeks. Started at pressure of 11. I had it changed to 12 when I couldn't tell a difference. 4 weeks on 12 and still no difference. I read on here last night how to adjust the pressure and moved it to 13. I had an AHI of 1.2 last night but I feel horrible this morning. Like a bad hangover and hit by a truck all at the same time. Does any body know what I should try next. Sorry if this is the wrong way to do this. I have never tried to post to a forum. Thanks

Wallace
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 196 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 175 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 203 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 805 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.