Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

not sure what a Respiratory Therapist means by these...
not sure what a Respiratory Therapist means by these...
Hi Everyone! This is a first post by a new member recently psg'ed, diagnosed with OSA, titrated, and been provided a PR System One series 60 (model 460) which I've had 2 weeks.
DME's RT did the first download of data today and she told me that every time they do a download it erases all the data on the SD card... does the downloading process erase the SD card data each time, or is she erasing it?
DME's RT told me that putting the SD card into my home computer would mess up the card and ruin it, so Don't Do That! Is this true, or is she just keeping me coming back to them to read the data, etc?
DME's RT told me that I must maintain 70% Compliance for the rest of my life! But she didn't tell me why. When I asked her how long to maintain 70% so my insurance (BC/BS) would pay for the equipment, she didn't seem to know what I was asking, so I called my ins and the ins has already paid what they are going to on the machine. If my ins has already paid on the machine, why do I have to worry about compliance?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: not sure what a Respiratory Therapist means by these...
Hi twindad, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! As far as reading your SD card in another card reader, it shouldn't mess it up. and usually, once you start CPAP therapy, it is for the rest of your life.
Hang in there for answers to more of your questions and the best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. That RT does serious drugs.

Even if she erased the card or gave you a brand new one, the data is still on the machine and will be put on the card when it is put back in.

If it is a standard SD memory card, yes, you can put it into your computer and it will survive. Well, as long as you don't do something silly like pour coffee on it. Some folks slide the metal lock cover into the lock position before putting it into their computer. This ensures it is not accidentally mucked with by whatever. Just remember to slide the cover back before putting back into your machine.

Most ins. companies require that the new user be 70% compliant for a certain amount of time, usually 2-3 mos which usually comes to 4 hrs or more each night. After that, they don't care. If BC/BS says it is yours and paid for, call them back, ask for a statement that says this and ask again to confirm the machine is yours (not a rental, but paid in full). Then, ask about the compliance information even if they say the machine is yours. Write down the date, time, and who you spoke to.

No matter what answers you get from the insurance company, tell them you are switching to another DME for the follow up supplies. Feel free to tell them why but you may just confuse whoever you are talking to. Then RUN, do not walk, but RUN to another DME and forever ignore the first one.

That DME is treating you like an idiot who is too stupid to take care of himself. She has told you two outright lies and is really really stretching the truth about a third and probably lying about the "I don't know what you mean." crap.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2012, 09:58 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Then RUN, do not walk, but RUN to another DME and forever ignore the first one.

Thank you for answering my questions - I'm already searching for a new DME, which I'll be using when my ins. allows purchase of another mask (3 mos.). I asked the Rt to change the clinician's settings to make the AHI visible to me and she refused stating "the machine is set like the Dr. ordered it and it is not legal to change anything in it". She also would not allow me to try on any masks other than the Comfortgel Blue Med. that I was issued and said I they did not have a small cushion for me to try on my M/S mask frame. So their one mask swap in the 1st 30 days policy is useless. I am pretty unhappy with that DME and RT, but at least I got a decent machine (they wouldn't even talk about an APAP). I can safely say that they are not on this group's supplier list.
This forum has been a wealth of information - I'd like to thank a couple of you in this group for info from a provider's manual and the tip to move the tongue back a bit in the mouth to deal with mouth-breathing - it works great for me. Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2012, 09:36 PM)twindad Wrote: Hi Everyone! This is a first post by a new member recently psg'ed, diagnosed with OSA, titrated, and been provided a PR System One series 60 (model 460) which I've had 2 weeks.
DME's RT did the first download of data today and she told me that every time they do a download it erases all the data on the SD card... does the downloading process erase the SD card data each time, or is she erasing it?
DME's RT told me that putting the SD card into my home computer would mess up the card and ruin it, so Don't Do That! Is this true, or is she just keeping me coming back to them to read the data, etc?
DME's RT told me that I must maintain 70% Compliance for the rest of my life! But she didn't tell me why. When I asked her how long to maintain 70% so my insurance (BC/BS) would pay for the equipment, she didn't seem to know what I was asking, so I called my ins and the ins has already paid what they are going to on the machine. If my ins has already paid on the machine, why do I have to worry about compliance?

Hi twindad
I am quite new to all this & the this great group.
I think I have the exact same machine as you & have learned so much from the people here.
It didn't take long to get the picture of how the DME's work, they all probably started out in car sales.
I have been in twice to my DME & found every one there to be very pleasant (but some are better at making you feel good but may be a masquerade)

The DME's are trying to hide everything from us.
On the 2nd visit I asked about software & he told me that another patient had asked him too but he told me he had never heard of any.

I could tell he was trying to get ready for me & I went in a little early & he was just opening the boxes of my CPAP supplies & he hadn't had time to pull out the clinical manuals & he told me they were just the french manuals but I didn't have any exeriance with DME's & how they work but after fiding this forum I was starting to see how they work.
I can understand that they don't want us to change settings but be honost with us & we should be able to see our data using software.

Each time the DME's download your data from the SD card they have the choice to delete or not to delete & to return the SD card back to the patient.

I would rather they be honest & have them say you can purchase software to see your data but say "if you mess with the settings prescribed you could do your self harm"
I was a DME & told such lies then found that my patients had found the truth I would feel like and idiot & a liar.

If I can help you in any way on your System one let me know.

Good luck I hope you find a good DME
You could let them know what you know but am willing to work with them just don't want to be BS-ed to.
Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Get thee to another DME. Wink

In regards to your question about how long your insurance will pay for the XPAP, most DMEs use Medicare guidelines.

The following quote comes from Your Guide to Medicare's Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies

The following snippet comes from page 21.

Quote:Under current Medicare rules, you own these types of equipment after renting for 13 months. When you switch to a Medicare contract supplier instead of using a “grandfathered” supplier or other non-contract supplier, your 13-month rental period will start over, so you won’t own the equipment until after the new rental period ends. This will extend your rental period and result in additional months of coinsurance. However, the amount you pay will be lower, because the amount you will pay will be based on the new payment rates under the new program.
• Once you own the equipment, you must get replacement supplies and accessories for the equipment from a contract supplier in order for Medicare to help you pay for these items. You may obtain repairs for the equipment you own from any Medicare-approved supplier (even a non-contract supplier), including replacement parts needed for the repair. See page 22.
• If you already own your equipment, you will need to use a Medicare contract supplier for your replacement supplies and accessories (like masks used with the CPAP device). Therefore, you will need to change suppliers after January 1, 2011, if you’re currently receiving these items from a supplier that doesn’t become a contract supplier under the new program.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In regards to your question about how long your insurance will pay for the XPAP, most DMEs use Medicare guidelines.

Is there possibly a newer guide? After using an auto CPAP for 6 years, it failed and my family doctor set me up for a new sleep study. I'm now on a ResMed S9 Autoset with a humidifier and the Swift LT Nasal pillows mask, but I don't think the supplier or Medicare realizes that this equipment is actually a replacement. So, I'm apparently in the compliance test period again. I've used the unit for almost 2 months, and no one has checked my SD card or my equipment for compliance information. I hope that won't mess me up with medicare.

I was born and raised in Memphis. What part of Tennessee are you in?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 172 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 296 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 385 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Can respiratory effort be inferred from OSCAR data? alienfrontier 1 248 02-02-2024, 09:22 PM
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 742 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Symptoms] Need help with low respiratory rate issue Lfmichel 4 627 10-30-2023, 09:21 AM
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,300 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.