Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

not using water in humidifer
not using water in humidifer
Hi, quick question for you all....
can I run my CPAP machine without using water in the humidifer while still using the heater for the hose, while away from home?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: not using water in humidifer
Maybe... but I would not do that for a couple of reasons:

1. With out knowing how the heating element in the humidifier would react to running dry all night I would be concerned that it might overheat.

2. I think that heating cold dry air without adding moisture will have the effect of drying your nose/mouth etc more.

If I knew for sure that no damage would result I'd give it a go though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2013, 01:34 AM)Mazz212 Wrote: Hi, quick question for you all....
can I run my CPAP machine without using water in the humidifer while still using the heater for the hose, while away from home?
No but you can set humidity level "off" (no heat) or disconnect the humidifier and plug the hose (slimline or standard) directly in the S9
[when humidity level set "off" ... the warming up symbol at the bottom does not show-up]

You don,t want to heat the humidifier with no water in the tank
At times people forget to fill the tank and end up with overheating and breathing not very nice fumes
If distilled water not available, you can use tap water and dump water in the morning and wash the tank
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mazz212,
I wouldn't do that for the simple reason that when you run your humidifier dry, you will very likely get funes from it up into your hose. Sometimes mine runs out of water and I get those fumes, YUCK, it doesn't smell too nice, smells like overheated plastic.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Humm. The S9 Autoset is supposed to have a thermal shutdown that kicks in at 167 degrees F. just for such cases when one "runs dry" inadvertantly.

In fact I ran dry last night but I started noticing the "dry mouth" issue. No fumes though.
If you get plastic fumes you have a problem.
Might want to get the humidifier section checked on... Bleah.
Not good, no.

I am currently putting together an *extended capacity* humidifier for the S9 (or any XPAP) Stay tuned!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. You can do that without any problem.

Just set Climate Control to "Manual". You can do that in the clinical settings menu, or set to "patient" and then set Climate Control to "Manual" in the regular setting menu. This will separate the humidity control (water drop) and hose temp (thermometer) settings on the main screen. Now go to the humidity settings (water drop) and set it to "Off" then go to the hose temp settings (thermometer) and set it to whatever temp you want.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2013, 01:34 AM)Mazz212 Wrote: Hi, quick question for you all....

No please don't do that! I have had mine run dry through the night and the smell is not nice!!!!
Thumbs-down-1
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I'm confused.

I thought the OP was asking if the heated hose can be used (and heated) even when not using the heated humidifier (i.e. humidifier turned off and with no water in it). If that is the case, then yes (by doing what I suggested in my earlier post).

If the question was: "Can you run the heated humidifier (turned on, settings 1 - 6, or on "auto" climate control with the heated hose temp set) without putting water in it?" Then I agree that it shouldn't be done.

Maybe the OP can post back to clarify what was being asked.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can probably do this. But why? You would end up with hot dry air and end with a big case of cotton mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
With my Escape and the Autoset, if the tank went dry, the smell was awful. And then my nose would burn all day and I'd sneeze my head off. To say it was annoying would be putting it mildly.

Even if it is possible, I would not recommend it. IF all you want is the warm air, it will be warm dry air and will dry you out. If all you want is to not run the humidifier at all, then just turn it off or take it off and put the hose directly to the blower unit.

If your concern is the water away from home, use bottled water or water from the tap. The "problem" is the minerals in the water leave deposits in the tub. But if the water is low in minerals or if going to be used for just a few days, it is not a "problem".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 152 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 195 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,928 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,512 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 239 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.