Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

observation and questions about CA and anything related
observation and questions about CA and anything related
learned  a lot 
still learning

how does pressure cause CA ?

when i observe CA it is because i am breathing slowly and shallowly
and do not exhale far enough for my chest to move and trigger an inhale 

i am guessing that PS might make it harder to exhale and cause more CA that way

but is that what happens when i am asleep and cant observe my breathing
supposedly it is some mismatch in O and CO2 sensors from some papers 

anybody with better insight on CA 
what it is 
how hit happens 
and why a RAD would cause more of them

bonus answer
and why is ASV better at fixing them while xpap seems to cause more

thanks for all insights !!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: observation and questions about CA and anything related
Post some results, and we can make it worth your while.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2017, 01:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Post some results, and we can make it worth your while.

thanks

the only result i have is that i kept getting hit by a brick wall and the air had been sucked out of the mask
3 times suffering that i gave up using the thing
i have slept far better without that machine than with it

some comments here indicated that that was central apneas being caused
i have had central for decades and it never did anything like that 
so i am skeptical of their beliefs but they may be right 

seeing dr monday to see about adjusting it or better yet getting the proper device which is an ASV
Post Reply Post Reply
No one can say anything with any certainty to help you until you post your results from Sleepyhead... But this is deja vu all over again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2017, 12:14 PM)Marillion Wrote: No once can say anything with any certainty to help you until you post your results from Sleepyhead...  But this is deja vu all over again.

i cant post data until i have data

would the 15 minutes of data be worth posting
as i fell asleep it kept waking me up

if so i will open up the box and retrieve the machine and data card and try to run that program on it

packed up the machine and trying to return it

either doctor monday comes up with an ASV or something i can believe 
not ever using this bipap again as it was a total fail
Post Reply Post Reply
Using a PAP device usually requires some time to adapt to using. It won't fix all of your issues immediately, and if all you've used it for is 15 minutes while partially awake, I would imagine you have not used it enough to say it's not working and would suggest you attempt to get a week or two of solid sleep data. This board is amazing, but we can't help without data.

When you are in the process of falling asleep (or waking) people tend to hold their breath when they roll around and that can register as CA events. People tend to call this semi-sleep state "sleep wake junk" or "SWJ" here.

And in my opinion, the machine you have is as comfortable if not more comfortable than the Aircurve 10 ASV. Sometimes The pressure support can wake me up when it jumps way up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2017, 04:17 PM)C0mbe Wrote: Using a PAP device usually requires some time to adapt to using.  It won't fix all of your issues immediately, and if all you've used it for is 15 minutes while partially awake, I would imagine you have not used it enough to say it's not working and would suggest you attempt to get a week or two of solid sleep data.  This board is amazing, but we can't help without data.  

When you are in the process of falling asleep (or waking) people tend to hold their breath when they roll around and that can register as CA events.  People tend to call this semi-sleep state "sleep wake junk" or "SWJ" here.

And in my opinion, the machine you have is as comfortable if not more comfortable than the Aircurve 10 ASV.  Sometimes The pressure support can wake me up when it jumps way up.

i cant get any sleep data as the machine keeps me from sleeping

if i fall asleep it jolts me awake slamming my face into a brick wall and sucking the air out of the mask so i have to wake up and realise what is happening and switch to mouth breathing until i repeat and eventually just give up and take the mask off so i can sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2017, 04:00 PM)xxyzx Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 12:14 PM)Marillion Wrote: No once can say anything with any certainty to help you until you post your results from Sleepyhead...  But this is deja vu all over again.

i cant post data until i have data

would the 15 minutes of data be worth posting
as i fell asleep it kept waking me up

if so i will open up the box and retrieve the machine and data card and try to run that program on it

packed up the machine and trying to return it

either doctor monday comes up with an ASV or something i can believe 
not ever using this bipap again as it was a total fail
 you sound like the worthless help lady from the DME

NO!!!!!   I do not adapt to the machine.  The machine has to adapt to me. 

My breathing rate is slower than the machine wants to force me to breathe.
I will hyperventilate if I try to keep up with the machine.

The machine wants me to take deeper breathes than I want to take.
I will hyperventilate if I keep doing that.

The machine needs to slow down the rate and the duration of breathing.

And all this is separate from teh PRESSURE that is used which is the only variable that lady from the DME could talk about.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 15 minutes actually would show the settings, and what happened immediately prior to your face slamming into a brick wall Closeups of the respiratory flow rate would offer additional insights. With regard to timing, I mentioned some time ago that your machine has an adjustment for that called Ti That is the duration of inhale before the machine drops pressure for EPAP. It is adjustable to 3-seconds, but it comes set to a default of 1.2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IF and when we see your data from sleepyhead we could verify what you are seeing, or refute it, and likely suggest a change in your timing settings. But without seeing what is happening there is really nothing we can do but guess.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 153 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 558 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.