Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

observation and questions about CA and anything related
RE: observation and questions about CA and anything related
(04-14-2017, 11:25 AM)xxyzx Wrote: i cant get any sleep data as the machine keeps me from sleeping

if i fall asleep it jolts me awake slamming my face into a brick wall and sucking the air out of the mask so i have to wake up and realise what is happening and switch to mouth breathing until i repeat and eventually just give up and take the mask off so i can sleep

The machine does not suck the air out of the mask. YOU are the only part of the system that creates negative pressure.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2017, 11:47 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 11:25 AM)xxyzx Wrote: i cant get any sleep data as the machine keeps me from sleeping

if i fall asleep it jolts me awake slamming my face into a brick wall and sucking the air out of the mask so i have to wake up and realise what is happening and switch to mouth breathing until i repeat and eventually just give up and take the mask off so i can sleep

The machine does not suck the air out of the mask. YOU are the only part of the system that creates negative pressure.

there was no air in the mask and i could not breathe

i said as if something vacuumed the air out

i could not inhale and had to switch to mouth breathing

never had that happen ever before the machine
Post Reply Post Reply
Xxyzx, if you have a diagnosis for central apnea, and if the events recorded on your machine in the brief time before you quit are centrals, then you may need ASV. The information we have repeated asked for was primarily to confirm this (or not) and help you with the next step. We have suggested that we could help by resetting the fixed mode of your machine to Auto, and start at lower pressures and lower pressure support settings.

The bilevel machine is not often prescribed in lieu of CPAP unless there is an underlying problem such as central apnea. I am sure you have seen other threads on this forum where members have failed to adjust to CPAP or bilevel, regardless of effort, and gone on to pursue ASV. The main difference is that those members communicated, as best they could what was going on, with data from the machine's on-screen sleep report, or Sleepyhead charts. If central or complex apnea is a problem for you, a bilevel without backup rate will not work, and the bilevel pressure support will likely be worse than CPAP pressure. There are ways to make a machine better, even if it's not perfect. Sharing your data can help us to help you either optimize what you have, or to construct an argument for your doctor that a different solution is needed.

I hope you get your ASV and get good treatment. Clearly there is not much we can do to help you in that effort since you have refused to share any details about what is going on other than the brick wall an air sucked out of mask analogy. No discussion of settings, sleep reports, event types etc. I wish you well. Be sure to check back if you do manage to get changed to a more appropriate therapy . Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2017, 12:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Xxyzx, if you have a diagnosis for central apnea, and if the events recorded on your machine in the brief time before you quit are centrals, then you may need ASV.  The information we have repeated asked for was primarily to confirm this (or not) and help you with the next step. We have suggested that we could help by resetting the fixed mode of your machine to Auto, and start at lower pressures and lower pressure support settings.

The bilevel machine is not often prescribed in lieu of CPAP unless there is an underlying problem such as central apnea. I am sure you have seen other threads on this forum where members have failed to adjust to CPAP or bilevel, regardless of effort, and gone on to pursue ASV.  The main difference is that those members communicated, as best they could what was going on, with data from the machine's on-screen sleep report, or Sleepyhead charts.  If central or complex apnea is a problem for you, a bilevel without backup rate will not work, and the bilevel pressure support will likely be worse than CPAP pressure.  There are ways to make a machine better, even if it's not perfect.  Sharing your data can help us to help you either optimize what you have, or to construct an argument for your doctor that a different solution is needed.  

I hope you get your ASV and get good treatment.  Clearly there is not much we can do to help you in that effort since you have refused to share any details about what is going on other than the brick wall an air sucked out of mask analogy.  No discussion of settings, sleep reports, event types etc.  I wish you well.  Be sure to check back if you do manage to get changed to a more appropriate therapy .  Good luck.

i am seeing the doctor today

i have no idea what caused the feeling of getting slammed into a brick wall and discovering the air was sucked out of the mask

i have had centrals for decades
never any problem like this machine caused

i slept better before the bipap
so i quit being tortured with that brick wall slam by packing the machine up

either we try asv or we dont
either way never using a bibap again
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP, BiPAP and ASV machines are actually not designed to suck air out at all....they have a blower, but it only spins in one direction, providing positive pressure. I would suspect the "air sucked out" feeling is your pressure being too low, meaning you're trying to pull more air through increased resistance (like the anti-asphyxiation valves or through the machine) and it feels like you're not getting enough air / getting the air vacuumed out of the mask.

If you were able to provide some data, it would help us to see what's going on and help us provide some suggestions. It could be a base pressure setting, a timing setting or any number of other things.

As for your original question about centrals and non-ASV machines. Your body often has an initial adjustment period to the extra pressure used to keep your airway open. It can trick your body into stopping breathing with the airway open (a central apnea event). It's why there is often a short-term increase in central apnea events when starting CPAP therapy and as your body adjusts they often go away.

If you have complex apnea, where you have centrals already, a regular machine can make that worse and it's why ASVs are around. The ASV has a timer in it to ensure a certain number of breaths per minute. If you stop breathing with your airway open, it significantly increases the pressure and forces air in to trigger your body to take a breath.

Which one is right for you is something your doctor will need to assist with, but with the correct machine and a little data, there are a lot of folks here who are willing to help you get the best treatment for you.

Keep us posted.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone recognize this line of discussion from the past? QAL. I'll now pop out, no help for this lad.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 159 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 560 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Sleep Apnea and Cushing's disease related? NorthernGuy 4 406 12-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.