Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

odd, occasional mask leak
odd, occasional mask leak
I'm now using a Resmed Airfit F30 mask. For the most part leaks are minimal. Every so often I'll have a night where I wake up often and discover my mouth is outside of the mask. the bottom lip. this happened repeatedly last night and my leak rate was 90 or so.

This mask doesn'[t come in a large. I use the Medium and it's a tight fit. Nevertheless it's my best mask so far and again, mostly I have minimal or even NO leaks.

any ideas? Why the obsessive poking my mouth outside of the mask when asleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: odd, occasional mask leak
I'm using the same mask, and I get some leaks during the night. I just readjust as needed. Mine tends to slip up my chin and I then have to pull it back down. But......that's about the extent of it. 

I might be wrong, but I'd be flabbergasted if ANY mask was 100% air tight all night long. Especially, if you are a side sleeper.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the same  AirFit F30 for well over a year with very minimal leaks .  I am a side sleeper and the majority of the time my leaks are zero .However , I do tend to wear my mask tighter than most people would . I have never experienced my mask shifting but that is probably because I wear it tighter than normal .
Post Reply Post Reply
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I tend to drool a little for a couple of hours. Then, for whatever reason, I stop for the duration of the night. 

Surprising how a little drool can act like some Mobil 1 10w/30 motor oil.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F30 also and prefer it a little tighter than usual. My leaks are almost non existent but I do have an occasional night with frequent leaks. I am a side sleeper so I am probably just getting into an odd position and shifting the mask for a while.
I don't recall ever having it shift off my mouth though.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies.Yes, I frequently have nights with no leaks, more with minimal leaks, and then the odd night with my lower mouth constantly coming outside of the mask repetitively while sleeping--and then my leaks are ginormous. It's not motor oil drool--its some odd psychological thing I think. Oh well! last night I had a near perfect score again.

I do wish they'd make a size large for this mask. that said, it's darn near perfect as it is. I also wear mine pretty tight. It's not at all uncomfortable tho.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem with the F20. I've determined it's because my jaw drops a little and my mouth opens to the point where my lower lip 1s below the bottom seal of my mask. I wear a soft cervical collar to prevent chin tucking and the leak only happens when I forget the collar or have it too loose.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting Melman. I wear a soft cervical collar too--it really seems to help with leaks! I wonder if I merely forgot to put it on and as a result did the ol' chin tuck, and that brought my lower lip out of the mask exactly as you describe. And I was too sleepy to realize what was going on.

Or maybe it was too loose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to keep the straps adjusted on my AirFit F30 pretty snug. That seems to help quite a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is considered minimal leaks?  anything under 20 lpm ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 342 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 418 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 200 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,476 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 210 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 799 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.