Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

% of time in SpO2 Drop ?
% of time in SpO2 Drop ?
What does % of time in SpO2 Drop actually mean?
I am using SleepyHead and confused by that number - 
It says that there were 450 events - 

Average SpO2 % 96.08
Min SpO2 % 61.00
SpO2 Drop Index 46.78
% of time in SpO2 Drop 48.84%

According to the software that came with the oximeter it showed only 12 events <88% and only 2.8 minutes <88%
I am trying to figure out if we should be using oxygen with his machine at night or not??? 

Also, I'm going to put his "card" in and read it later for the first time, any tips on how to get the most of the information?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: % of time in SpO2 Drop ?
Probably Sleepyhead and the software that came with it are set to different reporting points. You can go to Sleepyhead's files under preferences, than oximetry. You can adjust the O2 % used to report a drop and match it to the software your using. normally 4% is what is considered a drop in O2 levels. Regardless of the drop if it's above 90% you should be OK.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks .. I'll check the preferences <3
Post Reply Post Reply
Min SpO2 % 61.00  is bad
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2018, 02:48 AM)crowtor Wrote: Min SpO2 % 61.00  is bad

Yes, unfortunately it happens a lot - BUT it doesn't stay down for long. He does O2 supplementation during the day because of that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2018, 04:06 PM)kasiahbug Wrote: <snip>
According to the software that came with the oximeter it showed only 12 events <88% and only 2.8 minutes <88%
I am trying to figure out if we should be using oxygen with his machine at night or not??? 
<snip>

(07-01-2018, 10:48 AM)kasiahbug Wrote:

Yes, unfortunately it happens a lot - BUT it doesn't stay down for long. He does O2 supplementation during the day because of that as well.

Two minutes isn't terrible.  However, our bodies recover slowly from low oxygen saturation and so many drops lasting only seconds could be more damaging than only a few of longer duration.  (Does this make sense?)

Since your "he" is already on oxygen during the day, if he's using an oxygen concentrator, it makes sense to feed it into the PAP at night.  OTOH, if you're using bottled O₂, you should investigate to determine if it's necessary.  (Hope that helps!)

PS: I'm the opposite: O₂ sat is find days but fluctuates (badly) while sleeping (over 100 minutes below 70%); Bi-Level PAP didn't overcome it and I had to go on supplementary O₂.  It's curious that your "he" needs O₂ days but seems to skate while asleep.   Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2018, 08:28 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 04:06 PM)kasiahbug Wrote: <snip>
<snip>

(07-01-2018, 10:48 AM)kasiahbug Wrote:

Two minutes isn't terrible.  However, our bodies recover slowly from low oxygen saturation and so many drops lasting only seconds could be more damaging than only a few of longer duration.  (Does this make sense?)

Since your "he" is already on oxygen during the day, if he's using an oxygen concentrator, it makes sense to feed it into the PAP at night.  OTOH, if you're using bottled O₂, you should investigate to determine if it's necessary.  (Hope that helps!)

PS: I'm the opposite: O₂ sat is find days but fluctuates (badly) while sleeping (over 100 minutes below 70%); Bi-Level PAP didn't overcome it and I had to go on supplementary O₂.  It's curious that your "he" needs O₂ days but seems to skate while asleep.   Thinking-about

"he" is my 10 year old son :Smile
His oxygen drops a lot and at night a lot - but also some nights and some days never. The longest it's dropped is 10 minutes but usually it's just a couple minutes at most or seconds. His heart rate and blood pressure also flex so much, too. He has autonomic dysfunction. Completely random and for no reason. He was having amnesia, so we believed it due to O2 drops?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2018, 11:01 PM)kasiahbug Wrote: [quote pid='264655' dateline='1530494889']
<snip>
  It's curious that your "he" needs O₂ days but seems to skate while asleep.   Thinking-about

"he" is my 10 year old son :Smile
His oxygen drops a lot and at night a lot - but also some nights and some days never. The longest it's dropped is 10 minutes but usually it's just a couple minutes at most or seconds. His heart rate and blood pressure also flex so much, too. He has autonomic dysfunction. Completely random and for no reason. He was having amnesia, so we believed it due to O2 drops?
[/quote]

Oh, that makes me sad.  It must be even more difficult that it is so irregular.  As you know, O₂ deprivation does cause numerous mental problems; cognitive and memory problems, attention, and even emotional problems.  Fortunately our bodies do recover, though recovery is slower than the effect – and I'm sure there is a possibility of permanent damage if the condition is long or deep.  It is great that you have determined the treatment he needs and can address it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 619 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 173 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 393 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 808 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.