Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

oral appliances
RE: oral appliances
I have a Sonomed and have experienced mouth sores. Of course, I was never advised to use distilled water, NOT tap water.( These need to be soaked in water at all times when not using.) I am not sure if that's why I woke up with a bunch of mouth sores after one week. Problem: Every time I see the guy who fitted me for the appliance, he charges me. I've given up for now. Any one else have any recommendations?
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used night guards for several decades to help with teeth grinding. I can't imagine them being more efficacious than CPAP for sleep apnea.

Plus, you will spend a boatload of money and are likely to have several catastrophes, for example:

-I chewed through one within 2 weeks. It may well have been gummi bears, that's how ineffective it was.

-My front teeth put permanent grooves in another one within 2 months. This one was so hard, you probably could have hammered it to no effect.

-The last mouth guard I had? In the first month, it broke my front teeth. I heard a crunching sound. Yes, I got a substantial rectangular notch on my two front teeth that exactly corresponded to the shape of the mouth guard. The dentist was quite impressed at the symmetry of the whole look and had never seen anything like it. Two fillings..... No more mouthguards.

Consider also that every time there's an adjustment to your bite (e.g. a new filling or crown), you have to get a new mouth guard 'cos the old one won't fit.

$$$$$$$!

Moral? Way easier and more effective to work hard at mastering an APAP. And a lot cheaper.
Post Reply Post Reply
Halfasleep,
Thanks so much for your reply. I too have been feeling like these oral devices are a failed attempt at treating sleep apnea. I will be calling my physician on Monday to get on board with , hopefully an APAP machine.My sore jaw and mouth sores are grateful for your response! 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2017, 02:20 PM)CB91710 Wrote:
(08-13-2017, 01:17 PM)Dawnstar Wrote: Have no experience with any of these, I went to an Endodontist (dentist who makes custom oral appliances), to have something made for me.

Long story short, it didn't work, my AHI was too high, and long term it was obvious it would have eventually caused my teeth to shift out of alignment.

I suspect unless your AHI is pretty low it probably won't help (mine was 33 at the time).

My sleep study showed I was around 14 or 15...  marginal for writing a 'scrip for a machine.
I had previously tried an oral appliance and it was not effective.  It also created a serious TMJ condition...  I could not properly chew food for a couple of hours after getting up.

Oh, boy, can I relate to that!  I also tried a device...can't remember the name right now, but I couldn't close my mouth for quite awhile after waking up.  The pain in my jaw was excruciating!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 04:53 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I have used night guards for several decades to help with teeth grinding. I can't imagine them being more efficacious than CPAP for sleep apnea.

Plus, you will spend a boatload of money and are likely to have several catastrophes, for example:

-I chewed through one within 2 weeks. It may well have been gummi bears, that's how ineffective it was.

-My front teeth put permanent grooves in another one within 2 months. This one was so hard, you probably could have hammered it to no effect.

-The last mouth guard I had? In the first month, it broke my front teeth. I heard a crunching sound. Yes, I got a substantial rectangular notch on my two front teeth that exactly corresponded to the shape of the mouth guard. The dentist was quite impressed at the symmetry of the whole look and had never seen anything like it. Two fillings..... No more mouthguards.

Consider also that every time there's an adjustment to your bite (e.g. a new filling or crown), you have to get a new mouth guard 'cos the old one won't fit.

$$$$$$$!

Moral? Way easier and more effective to work hard at mastering an APAP. And a lot cheaper.

I found a different mouth guard for those of us who grind their teeth.  Moderators, delete this if not allowed:  The Sisu mouthguard.  It's not like those mouthguards that are already somewhat molded, but molds directly to your tooth shape and is very thin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 11:35 AM)skylark Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 04:53 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I have used night guards for several decades to help with teeth grinding. I can't imagine them being more efficacious than CPAP for sleep apnea.

$$$$$$$!

I found a different mouth guard for those of us who grind their teeth.  Moderators, delete this if not allowed:  The Sisu mouthguard.  It's not like those mouthguards that are already somewhat molded, but molds directly to your tooth shape and is very thin.

The manufacturer recommends their "Sova Mouthguard" for bruxism.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still have my somnomed dental device. I used it 2 years exclusively, but last January I talked my sleep doctor into prescribing me a new machine because I wasn't sure what would happen to Medicare, and since he was retiring, he said he would, and so he did. I had asked for one before, but he declined because my sleep study didn't justify it apparently.

Now I use my bipap mostly every night. On occasions I use both of them. (why I don't know). And then there are the nights where for some unexplained reason, I can't tolerate the mask (I use a Wisp nasal mask), and so I use the oral device. For me its a backup mostly, and I'd say I've used it about 15 time since the first of the year. I'd probably use it if for reason the power was off for a day or two. So for me, I'd say its a device that gives me more confidence that I can handle whatever come my way - so it's a morale booster of sorts.
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,742 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Oral Dental Appliance RandomPilar 47 11,754 06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: ZacMirror
  [Equipment] oral appliance instead of CPAP? singergal67 9 1,034 06-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health Liteheart1 10 1,778 09-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Liteheart1
  [Equipment] Fisher & Paykel Oracle 452 Oral CPAP Mask for BPAP kakadyi 3 748 09-16-2022, 05:23 AM
Last Post: kakadyi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.