Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

oximeter results....question
oximeter results....question
Hi all. New here.......

I just did a take-home apnea test from the hospital. The canulla thingy only got 5 minutes of data, so they said I either should re-do the test, or do a full sleep study.

It did, however, measure desaturations over a 5 hour period:

baseline: 98%
avg. saturation: 94%
lowest: 80%
total desat's: 56 (12 per hour)
sat. < or = to 90%: 13 minutes
sat. < or = 89%: 8 minutes
sat. < or = 88%: 4 minutes

lowest pulse: 40 highest: 74 (getting up to pee)

If anyone could comment, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
-michael
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: oximeter results....question
Hi Michael,

looks like you have apnoea because this was my problem before went Doc to check go to pee 8 times a night, better to stay 2 nights in sleep Lab to get settings done instead of using any auto mode CPAP , pee orgy will stop ! and oxygen level will stay at 96%. Redo he test it will safe your life !

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-06-2014, 08:42 PM)allchokedup Wrote: Hi all. New here.......

I just did a take-home apnea test from the hospital. The canulla thingy only got 5 minutes of data, so they said I either should re-do the test, or do a full sleep study.

It did, however, measure desaturations over a 5 hour period:

baseline: 98%
avg. saturation: 94%
lowest: 80%
total desat's: 56 (12 per hour)
sat. < or = to 90%: 13 minutes
sat. < or = 89%: 8 minutes
sat. < or = 88%: 4 minutes

lowest pulse: 40 highest: 74 (getting up to pee)

If anyone could comment, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
-michael

Hello, Michael, and welcome!

I'm not a doctor, so please don't consider this a medical opinion.

As I understand it, O2 normally drops when we sleep. An average for adults is in the low 90s. So a 94% average sat for sleeping hours is very good, and above average. A lowest pulse rate of 40 indicates your cardiopulmonary health is outstanding, unless the low pulse is being caused by a disease process. I'm guessing you are in good shape.

With cpap therapy, we really want to limit the amount of time spent with O2 sat below 88%. You had four minutes out of five hours, which is better than many people have even using cpap therapy.

I would recommend you follow the hospital's recommendation to redo the take home test to obtain a complete data set. The take home test is very good and if you have sleep apnea the test results will be very clear.

You don't say why you sought out this testing, but bear in mind that if the test does not show sleep apnea you may have other medical problems which need to be addressed.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
You do need a better set of results for the apnea side. The o2 tells part of the story, but not enough. You can as Michael suggests, surmise that you do have apnea based on other symptoms. Getting up lots of times in the night, daytime drowsiness - perhaps even a tendency to fall asleep behind the wheel, snoring (that's a biggy).

But you need some ahi numbers to quantify just what is going on. Then, you need to begin working on what pressures and what machine will be required to provide you with a new life.

........and all that is coming your way! Good job taking control of your destiny.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who replied...

Mike: you were really peeing 8 times a night? And cpap stopped it? I pee twice like clockwork, both times with a very full bladder. Volume-wise, I make as much pee overnight as during the day.

Rhymer: I was told once that I held my breath for a long time during sleep. I mentioned this to a urologist and he said I should check the apnea angle for my nocturia. Before this, I was thinking my peeing had something to do with low aldosterone associated with adrenal fatigue. An endo says no adrenal fatigue (but others say my tests suggest I do...). I was also just diagnosed with a heart murmur, MVP and a leaky mitral valve that will require surgery (lucky me!). And I see that this could be the cause of the apnea (if I have it!).

Retired Guy: YEs, I guess the results I have are not enough to make a diagnosis, so I'll get the full test, since my insurance covers it completely, I'm told.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 131 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.