Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

oximeter while waiting for sleep study
oximeter while waiting for sleep study
Thought I would try the oximeter again while waiting for the sleep study.
I have noticed that I am very tired/spacy in the morning, gradually feeling better as the day goes on. Apparently I am very quiet at night, just a gentle snore the night before last...

Anyway, anyone have an opinion of this screen shot from SleepHead??

[Image: Oxi_1_zpsb5ee8f6c.jpg]

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: oximeter while waiting for sleep study
88% is the *magic* number. Depending on the brand/model Oximeter you have, that big dip may just be *noise*.

Using the software that comes with the Oximeter, there is a numeric value for "minutes under 88%" - I am considered 'not great' and I average 2-5 minutes per night under 88%. If you are consistently under 90% time to see a Doc. Lower numbers at night *are* normal. My nightly average bounces between 89-91% (I have lung scarring due to multiple PEs) so I am worse than average.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Ill add my 2¢ to the already good advice you see from Peter_c. I suspect the big dip is when the device was dislodged briefly since it's not likely your blood/O2 saturation could dive that rapidly.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is without a CPAP? Not bad then! Several dips below 90% but not that many and not for that long. But keep in mind that a some of us don't have SpO2 drops with each event.

Yes, the big huge sudden dip in the SpO2 at about 23:00 is probably due to a dislodging or otherwise not quite right fit. The pulse section for that same time period is broken up and doesn't have a corresponding spike that would go with a legitimate dip in blood O2.

Compare that one to the dip in SpO2 at about 0:00 and you'll see what I mean. Big dip in O2 with rise in pulse at the same time. That was an event, not a malfunction.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been thinking about getting an oximeter. I sleep with wrist braces for carpal tunnel, and sometimes even with the braces get numbness. Would this affect the oximeter readings?
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think so since the reading are derived from the color of the blood beneath the surface of your fingernails. My understanding of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is that it's a pinched nerve and not circulatory related.

Be sure to get a recording one. They're normally around $100 but let me know if you find one much cheaper. I've always thought I'd like to have one but I like my $100 even better and besides, Mrs. SD says that it'd just be something else to increase my anxiety level. Pooh...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 03:59 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: This is without a CPAP? Not bad then! Several dips below 90% but not that many and not for that long. But keep in mind that a some of us don't have SpO2 drops with each event.

Yes, the big huge sudden dip in the SpO2 at about 23:00 is probably due to a dislodging or otherwise not quite right fit. The pulse section for that same time period is broken up and doesn't have a corresponding spike that would go with a legitimate dip in blood O2.

Compare that one to the dip in SpO2 at about 0:00 and you'll see what I mean. Big dip in O2 with rise in pulse at the same time. That was an event, not a malfunction.

Thanks for the reply...Have to say I am feeling pretty good...
I vaguely remember something happening at about 11:00...so I guess
I will live, lol...

Thanks again...

Storywizard

Post Reply Post Reply
SD, I have my very own CMS50i pulse Oximeter and I have never been anxious a day in my life, not even as a kid the day before a Disneyland trip.

You have no good reason to be anxious either. Can you enumerate for me the number of days you did not wake up? See. That is truely the only thing to be anxious about and statistically there is no reason to be anxious.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 244 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 534 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.