Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

oxygen desaturation and heart rate
RE: oxygen desaturation and heart rate
(08-26-2014, 01:15 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: I can speak to this from over 15 yrs of experience dealing with uncontrolled BP, Afib, a botched ablation surgery, 3 Bp meds day min, soaring heart rates, and slow heart rates. Left Ventrical thickening etc etc etc. All before being diagnosed with Apena 2 weeks ago. Though the wife has been yelling I had it for 20 yrs.

Normally if you stop breathing on purpose or not your heart rate will slow. And speed up with you breathe. Totally normal.
There is a point though during an obstructive Apena where you are struggling to breathe as if fighting someone choking you to death your body dumps adrenaline which will speed up your heat rate dramatically.

Apena does put a heavy strain on your heart though. My O2 was dropping to 64 as I have mild COPD also so just a few OA would cause it to plummet. It has over the years kept my BP uncontrolled, LV wall to thicken though not enough to affect it ability to pump thank goodness. Though the chamber is smaller due to the thickening.

I was also losing my memory and had got to the point I couldnt concentrate on anything much at all.

Good news is that after only four days on a PR system one 560 auto, my AHi is down to 2.4, my heart rate is regular, running about 50 when I get up then coming into the 60s withing a little bit of moving around. BP is lowered and stabilized at the borderline of hypertension while being on only one med instead of three. My 02 stays at normal levels at night on the machine.

My memory is returning, It doesnt take me 2 hours to make it out of bed after I wake up now either. I just wake up and get up like a normal person.

My only concern for a bit was the lowered pulse rate into the 40s on first waking but it comes up to a normal rate in 15 to 20 min so I guess my ticker is getting the rest it needs at night instead of hammering away all night.

Stick with it. If four nights worth of therapy can level out all this mess ive dealt with for 20 yrs to the extent it has and make a night and day difference in the way I feel its worth it.

Good doctors are not legions. I have been earing so many horror stories about erronous dignosis. I'm happy you finnaly got your problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 233 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.