Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

p30i making more noise than it used to
RE: p30i making more noise than it used to
(11-18-2020, 09:32 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I don't believe the "Mask Fit" option records any data.  You might be able to use this function to dry your hose.  The only downside to using your CPAP to dry the hose is the accumulative time added to the blower unit.   These are rated in usage hours.  As an alternative, using the blower action of your home vacuum cleaner.  Most units today have a HEPA filter.   This allows for blowing filtered air that will warm as it passes through the vacuum.

Hi Crimson Nape

What's the Mask Fit option?
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that you can access this option from the normal User menu. The Mask Fit option will use the highest set pressure to allow a patient to adjust a mask for fit and leak adjustment prior to a sleep session. Scroll through your menus and see if it isn't there.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2020, 09:14 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: The connectors on the end of the Climate Line hose that connects to the machine.

Not sure if you use that hose.

I remove the SD card so that the drying run time is not recorded on the card.

This will prevent the detail data from being written to the car, but will still write the summary data the next time the SD Card is inserted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2020, 02:55 AM)SevereApnea Wrote: Hello Benzi:

You are correct: you can remove the oval venting piece from the front of the P30i to clean things thoroughly inside the pillows.

There are two systems for the venting in the P30i mask, these are interchangeable.

1. holes only: these vent more air which can reflect off the bedding onto your face, and makes very little noise.

2. holes with Quiet Air Mesh: this vents even more quietly which is "partner friendly"....but the mesh has caused some folk problems. The mesh can get moist quite quickly, trapped moisture somehow results in the black dots you mentioned. On occasions I too heard a wheezing bubbling sound from the mesh: Two solutions (a) swapped back to the holes only variety, (b) just remove the mesh carefully, wash in low (1 - 10%) percentage vinegar rinse and dry thoroughly, then replace. Fine tweezers help.

Also: the parts of the nasal pillow that fits over the nostrils has an inner lining: I found that vigorous cleaning would sometimes result in the inside piece turning inside out (or outside in, if that makes sense) and needs to be positioned properly. Sometimes water gets caught between the inner and the outer pieces and can add to funny noises!

I used to wash mine first thing in the morning, dried the inside with tissue paper, put out to dry during the day.
Reassembled at night, good to go.

Hope this helps!

Hi SevereApnea,

I'm wondering how to get the "holes only" venting for the P30i? I recently started using the P30i and the pillows I received are the quiet air mesh. I'd like to try the holes only.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a toothbrush to thoroughly clean my P30i. I'd pop the vent out and soak the mask and vent in hot soapy water. Then I'd use the toothbrush inside the mask and on both sides of the vent.

To remove the vent just pull gently on the soft part at one end of the vent and it will come out quite easily.

There is a little trick to putting the vent back after cleaning. On the side where it says AirFit there is a a lip that extends slightly over the vent. You can see and feel this when the vent is out. The vent itself has an indentation on one end. This is where the lip from the soft part must match up with the vent. You just slide the indentation under the lip, then pull gently on the other end and the vent will slip easily into place. If done this way no harm will come to the mask at all. I never had one tear or become damaged in any way.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Before using the p30i I used the n30i. It has the "holes only" system (uses the same frame as p30i.). I didn't even know that there is a "holes only" option for the p30i. 
Last week I ordered 2 spares from Amazon. Each is coming from a different vendor. I hope they're the mesh type; otherwise the noise is liable to bother my wife again....
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2020, 02:47 PM)Benzi Wrote: Before using the p30i I used the n30i. It has the "holes only" system (uses the same frame as p30i.). I didn't even know that there is a "holes only" option for the p30i. 
Last week I ordered 2 spares from Amazon. Each is coming from a different vendor. I hope they're the mesh type; otherwise the noise is liable to bother my wife again....

So just to clarify, the "only holes" option applies only to the N30i nasal cushions? It sounds like the P30i nasal pillows do not come with the "only holes" option?  If I'm wrong and the P30i nasal pillows do come with "only holes" and no mesh please let me know how to find them.  I would like to try them out.

Thanks,

Rick
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2020, 07:11 PM)Sleepwreck Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 02:47 PM)Benzi Wrote: Before using the p30i I used the n30i. It has the "holes only" system (uses the same frame as p30i.). I didn't even know that there is a "holes only" option for the p30i. 

So just to clarify, the "only holes" option applies only to the N30i nasal cushions? It sounds like the P30i nasal pillows do not come with the "only holes" option?  If I'm wrong and the P30i nasal pillows do come with "only holes" and no mesh please let me know how to find them.  I would like to try them out.

Thanks,

Rick
Hi Rick

I can only find one type of p30i cushion mentioned on the Resmed site, which says it has "Integrated QuietAir vent diffuses air gently to limit drafts and noise". I think that must refer to the "mesh". As I wrote above, the n30i and p30i nasal pillows use the same frame, so you can mix and match. Maybe the n30i would work better for you. In my case, I had to tighten the headgear more in order to get a good seal. And the noise from the holes woke up my wife when I faced into the pillow - that problem went away with the p30i.
On the other hand, last night (or early this morning), when lying on my side, apparently the pillow (my bed pillow - not the nasal pillow) pushed the nasal pillow away from my nose, causing a whoosh of air to leak out. I sort of woke up to find my wife pushing the pillow down to stop the noise. Bigwink  I suppose I hadn't tightened the headgear enough. Not always easy to get it right: Not tight enough and you get leaks, too tight and the discomfort disturbs your sleep.
Can't win them all... 
Post Reply Post Reply
The N30i I have has only the holes.

The P30i has an oval hole in the front that accepts either
  • the oval fixture with the mesh, or
  • the oval fixture with the holes.

These are interchangeable, therefore this is a great design.

Image of my HolesAndMesh << click here.

I simply asked my supplier here in Australia (US equivalent of DME) to get me the vent with the holes. 
I don't want the mesh. It's no good. I don't like it. I don't want it. Get me the holes please. They know me by now!

Easy to swap them out.

Alternatively, if and when I can longer source these, I could simply remove the mesh, and not replace it.
Anyway it's a hassle to clean and dry thoroughly (hair dryer) and then replace. Bad design therefore. Thumbs down Resmed.

@ Deborah K: that's exactly what I do! Baby toothbrush (soft, preferably the one with the Winnie the Pooh sticker) fits in there beautifully and so easy to clean the inside!

(I also am trialling the F30 again, and this week specifically asked for and bought the F20/F30 elbow connector *without* the quiet air vent, but that is another story.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2020, 08:03 PM)SevereApnea Wrote: The N30i I have has only the holes.

The P30i has an oval hole in the front that accepts either
  • the oval fixture with the mesh, or
  • the oval fixture with the holes.

These are interchangeable, therefore this is a great design.

Image of my HolesAndMesh << click here.

I simply asked my supplier here in Australia (US equivalent of DME) to get me the vent with the holes. 
I don't want the mesh. It's no good. I don't like it. I don't want it. Get me the holes please. They know me by now!

Easy to swap them out.

Alternatively, if and when I can longer source these, I could simply remove the mesh, and not replace it.
Anyway it's a hassle to clean and dry thoroughly (hair dryer) and then replace. Bad design therefore. Thumbs down Resmed.

@ Deborah K: that's exactly what I do! Baby toothbrush (soft, preferably the one with the Winnie the Pooh sticker) fits in there beautifully and so easy to clean the inside!

(I also am trialling the F30 again, and this week specifically asked for and bought the F20/F30 elbow connector *without* the quiet air vent, but that is another story.)

SevereApnea

Thanks for the explanation! I will ask my supplier too to see if they can get me the holes only.

One more question. You said that you could remove the mesh and not replace it. I'm looking at mine, but I don't see a way to do this. It looks like the mesh is molded inside in one piece. Is this the case? If not how do you remove it?

Thanks,

Sleepwreck
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,273 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 588 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.