Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: System one
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreViewer

Other Comments: quattro fx full face

Sex: Male

RE: pad a cheek?
(04-26-2012 06:34 PM)b360155 Wrote:  Hey G.U.B., I was just reading your OP again and notice you make reference to "Total Leak". I'm not sure how Respironics machines measure leaks as far as what is acceptable or not. I have a ResMed S9 Autoset and they score you as far as "unintentional leaks" with anything under 24.0 l/min deemed to be acceptable as the machine can compensate for it. I looked up the flow rate chart for the Resmed Ultra Mirage which I'm attaching here:

[Image: UltraMirageMaskVentRate-1.jpg]

The way I believe you read this chart (maybe somebody else can confirm or refute this) is that for your pressure range of 8 to 12, the intentional or acceptable leak rate is 32 to 41 l/min. Adding 24 l/min unintentional but still acceptable leak rate to these numbers would result in 56 to 65 l/min Total Leak, as being an acceptable level. So if you have 95% Total Leaks of 64 to 70, maybe your leaks aren't really too bad after all??? I may be way off base with this post, but just asking if this is a possibility?

thanks for that. my system one doesn't give leak data like the resmed but i do also use encore viewer which is a pr product. it identifies what it considers as large leaks. i told you the sleepyhead numbers for last night. encore for the same data tells me 67 minutes total in large leak and 21% of the night in large leak with the average leak being 44.

for comparison,

here is the graph from sleepyhead:

[attachment=142]

here is the graph from encore viewer:

[attachment=143]
04-26-2012 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
moondoggy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed The Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 13 - 17
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Well, I'm going to give you a different opinion. I have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask which I selected because it caused the least problems with red marks on my nose. The problem with the softgel is that it's heavy and larger than most masks so when you turn to sleep on your side, you usually end up with a lot of leaks. Before I got a PadACheek liner my AHI was about 7.0 whereas my AHI now is about 3.5 and I feel that my leak rate is down because I'm no longer awaken by face farts.
04-26-2012 10:57 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

(04-26-2012 10:57 PM)moondoggy Wrote:  Before I got a PadACheek liner my AHI was about 7.0 whereas my AHI now is about 3.5 and I feel that my leak rate is down because I'm no longer awaken by face farts.

You owe me a new keyboard. Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
04-26-2012 11:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Intentional leak rates for masks and exhalation ports
Philips Respironics sleep therapy devices report and/or display total leak rates.
Total leak = intentional leak plus unintentional leak
This chart provides the intentional leak rates of our mask exhalation ports at various pressure settings.
Unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak (from mouth, mask, etc.)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf
04-27-2012 03:14 AM
b360155 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX & Quattro Air
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11.4

Other Comments: CMS50-D Plus Pulse Oximeter!

G.U.B. Thanks for posting your graphs. Now I better understand how the different companies measure leak rates. I always wondered how people could sleep at all when they were getting leak rates in the 60's or 70's. The way Resmed measures leaks (unintentional leaks), anything in the 60's or 70's would sound like a hurricane! Anyway, good luck on finding a method to get your leaks under better control.

(04-26-2012 10:57 PM)moondoggy Wrote:  Well, I'm going to give you a different opinion. I have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask which I selected because it caused the least problems with red marks on my nose. The problem with the softgel is that it's heavy and larger than most masks so when you turn to sleep on your side, you usually end up with a lot of leaks. Before I got a PadACheek liner my AHI was about 7.0 whereas my AHI now is about 3.5 and I feel that my leak rate is down because I'm no longer awaken by face farts.

Moondoggy: Like I said, some people have said they experience lower leaks with the Padacheek. That just hasn't been my experience. However, I do think it's a great product and although leaks are a little higher for me with the Padacheek, it still is within the acceptable range and makes mask wearing more comfortable, so I use them. Here's a comparison of 2 typical leak rate graphs for me with my Quattro FX:

1. Without Padacheek
[Image: SleepyheadLeak.jpg]

2. With Padacheek
[Image: SleepyheadLeak2.jpg]

(04-27-2012 03:14 AM)zonk Wrote:  Intentional leak rates for masks and exhalation ports
Philips Respironics sleep therapy devices report and/or display total leak rates.
Total leak = intentional leak plus unintentional leak
This chart provides the intentional leak rates of our mask exhalation ports at various pressure settings.
Unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak (from mouth, mask, etc.)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf

Zonk: Thanks! So what shows up on the graphs as 0.0 l/min on ResScan will show up as something much higher on Respironics and others which only provide total leaks. Makes sense now.

We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2012 08:33 AM by b360155.)
04-27-2012 06:19 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
oldteddybear Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed Elite S9
Mask Make & Model: Pilairo (for now)
Humidifier: S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14

Other Comments: Hosehead since Jan 2012

I had a very hard time finding a mask that did not leak, going through nearly all of the DME's stock of samples. The last one that they tried was the Respironics EasyLife nasal mask which has worked for me 98% of the time(a couple of times I had a problem getting it to do the initial seal when I went to bed and had to shut the machine off to start again because of facial hair). It has a separate seal and support system which helps if you toss and turn at night.
04-27-2012 07:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  P10 cheek lines Rick_V 16 1,215 04-17-2016 10:00 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  cheek puffing causing me to open mouth mzdawn74 19 3,072 08-11-2015 01:48 PM
Last Post: MsFigg
  Pad A Cheek - questions EmilySleeps 2 1,343 12-20-2014 08:22 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Pad-a-cheek on Airfit F10? eviltim 3 1,942 12-02-2014 09:25 PM
Last Post: eviltim