Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pad a cheek?
pad a cheek?
i currently have old fisher and paykel 432 and resmed ultra mirage full face masks which i re-cushioned. both masks have large leaks because i am a rough sleeper. i've read and tried all that float on your face stuff over and over and it don't work. i've tried clamping down and that is worse. nasal doesn't work at all, pillow,mask or hybrid. maybe these 2 styles of mask are not good for me. i'm still a month out from being able to get a new mask thru the dme, but i really don't want to get another if i can't get these to work better than they are, if they can.

so my question is about pad a cheek. i know anything and everything works for some of you guys. i'm really talking to the hard core leakers. has anybody had a real hard time with leaks and got the pad a cheek to work?

with 30 day average total leak at 35 and 95% average total leak at 64, last night was 43 and 70 will a pad a cheek likely help or would it be a waste of $16? if i'm a rough side sleeper would one of the quattro's really help in a magical way?

thanks.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pad a cheek?
I was going to offer one of my masks, as I bought a couple of them when they were on sale. But I guess that's not what you want! Thinking-about
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 10:09 AM)bobg1946 Wrote: I was going to offer one of my masks, as I bought a couple of them when they were on sale. But I guess that's not what you want! Thinking-about

tell me more. i'm open to suggestions if you think it might help.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
GUB:

I'm not in the hard core leaker category but I am a Padacheek customer so I'll share some of my experiences. I use a Quattro FX mask and without the Padacheek, I am able to get zero leaks a good portion of the night, with a few blips here and there but normally 95% and maximum leaks in the single digits. When I add the Padacheek liner with the Quattro FX, my minimum leaks actually increase slightly as I'll rarely get down to the zero leak line, however my minimum, 95% and maximum leak rates normally still are staying in the single digit range. I find the Padacheek liner makes it more comfortable to wear my mask as you have a soft microfiber fabric against your skin instead of the sticky silicone. Some users have reported lower leaks using a Padacheek, but my experience is slightly higher leaks, although still well within the acceptable range.

With the high leak numbers you're getting and based upon my own experiences, I am doubtful that the Padacheek would be a cure all solution for you. I really think you'd be better off trying to find a mask that fits you better.

Have you tried the mask trial program that Supplier #25 offers? I used it twice and it's a very good way to try out some masks before buying one. You just pay $14 for shipping and handling and can demo a mask for one week in the comfort of your own home. With a 30-day window before your time for a new mask, now might be a good time to try it out.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 02:13 PM)b360155 Wrote: GUB:

I'm not in the hard core leaker category but I am a Padacheek customer so I'll share some of my experiences. I use a Quattro FX mask and without the Padacheek, I am able to get zero leaks a good portion of the night, with a few blips here and there but normally 95% and maximum leaks in the single digits. When I add the Padacheek liner with the Quattro FX, my minimum leaks actually increase slightly as I'll rarely get down to the zero leak line, however my minimum, 95% and maximum leak rates normally still are staying in the single digit range. I find the Padacheek liner makes it more comfortable to wear my mask as you have a soft microfiber fabric against your skin instead of the sticky silicone. Some users have reported lower leaks using a Padacheek, but my experience is slightly higher leaks, although still well within the acceptable range.

With the high leak numbers you're getting and based upon my own experiences, I am doubtful that the Padacheek would be a cure all solution for you. I really think you'd be better off trying to find a mask that fits you better.

Have you tried the mask trial program that Supplier #25 offers? I used it twice and it's a very good way to try out some masks before buying one. You just pay $14 for shipping and handling and can demo a mask for one week in the comfort of your own home. With a 30-day window before your time for a new mask, now might be a good time to try it out.

i've thought about the mask trial thing alot but haven't taken the plunge. i'm starting to realize that no matter what i do these 2 masks will always leak on me. i just have a hard time thinking another mask would be any different. i guess it's worth a try. my wife bought a small quattro fx and even though i'm a large in these masks i can almost get her small to work. actually it barely works when i sit there awake but as i sleep i know it won't. i'm thinking medium as her little sizing gauge told me. then i'm thinking maybe it's the size. maybe i should be in a medium mask. i guess i'll have to get a medium and try. the thing with the dme is they only carry a few of the cheap masks and don't carry things like quattro. i can get one thru their far away warehouse so exchange would be a pain in the butt by design if at all. the other thing is due to postal thefts, i have to use a po box 5 miles away for important mail and packages. when supplier 25 ships i'll have to check it every day. another hassle. none of this is easy. grrrrrrrrrrr..... thanks. i'm gonna go put my name on the list.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 02:54 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: i'm starting to realize that no matter what i do these 2 masks will always leak on me.
Me too full face masks didn't work for me, Go nasal. Some members in the old forum did suggest Mirage liberty and F&P full face masks as the bottom part goes under the chin for better support.
you can always get the 30 days insurance return so you can try both masks or any other mask.
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients
http://www.youtube.com/user/fphealthcare

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 04:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 02:54 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: i'm starting to realize that no matter what i do these 2 masks will always leak on me.
Me too full face masks didn't work for me, Go nasal. Some members in the old forum did suggest Mirage liberty and F&P full face masks as the bottom part goes under the chin for better support.
you can always get the 30 days insurance return so you can try both masks or any other mask.
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage...c=patients
http://www.youtube.com/user/fphealthcare

thanks. i've said many times and in this post that nasal does not work and mirage liberty (hybrid) does not work. i have in my collection several nasal masks and pillows and a mirage liberty that did not work. 1 of the 2 masks that i mentioned i am using is the fisher & paykel 432 which has a part that goes under the chin. it leaks more than the ultra mirage.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Apology-2 wasn't paying attention must be AHD or something Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 05:35 PM)zonk Wrote: Apology-2 wasn't paying attention must be AHD or something Dielaughing

no problem. i know you want to help.

every time i see jay leno and that big long face, i wonder what he would use for a full face mask. LOL..........

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey G.U.B., I was just reading your OP again and notice you make reference to "Total Leak". I'm not sure how Respironics machines measure leaks as far as what is acceptable or not. I have a ResMed S9 Autoset and they score you as far as "unintentional leaks" with anything under 24.0 l/min deemed to be acceptable as the machine can compensate for it. I looked up the flow rate chart for the Resmed Ultra Mirage which I'm attaching here:

[Image: UltraMirageMaskVentRate-1.jpg]

The way I believe you read this chart (maybe somebody else can confirm or refute this) is that for your pressure range of 8 to 12, the intentional or acceptable leak rate is 32 to 41 l/min. Adding 24 l/min unintentional but still acceptable leak rate to these numbers would result in 56 to 65 l/min Total Leak, as being an acceptable level. So if you have 95% Total Leaks of 64 to 70, maybe your leaks aren't really too bad after all??? I may be way off base with this post, but just asking if this is a possibility?
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 604 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only) StaphAttack 2 995 07-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Chronic Crease Marks on Your Cheek? A $3 DIY Solution Sheepish 16 10,768 05-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Strap marks in your cheek stanleydean 4 1,422 04-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Need Help with SH Results and cheek puffing littlefatcat 14 2,074 02-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Last Post: littlefatcat
  Pad-A-Cheek Fitting Issues upsman 5 1,456 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Last Post: upsman
  Pad-A-Cheek shinkdavid 3 1,508 10-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.