Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pain inside nose
pain inside nose
I am still struggling with keeping my mask on for more than a few hours each night. Its usually an on -off -on -off routine, 3 to 4 times a night.

I have a Resmed N10 Nasal mask and I find I wake up after 2 or 3 hours of sleep with pain inside my right nostril that feels like its coming from the septum but I cannot quite describe it. 

My mask is usually strapped loosely, but I am not sure if it could be sliding up and pressing against my nostrils. When I readjust the mask, the pain is usually gone in seconds. Most times I just take it off and go back to sleep.

My right nostril/passage is usually 70 to 90% blocked, even though I take anti allergy medications and use Avamys. 

Is it possible that the CPAP pressure against a clogged passageway could be causing the pain?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pain inside nose
You might try a different mask. Sometimes it takes a few different one before getting the right one. You did mention readjusting it helps. Each of our faces are different thats why what would work for me might not work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Airfit N10.
I have never used this mask, I did look at it just lately, however, I thought it was pointless going for that one when I had the choice of Nasal Pillows.
I was used to Nasal Pillows anyway and didn't want to go back to masks.
I went for the FX Nasal Pillows that are soft and to be honest I hardly notice I am wearing them, however, what suits one person may not suit another.
I think you have got it sussed, it is the mask pushing against you nose causing the pain, try loosening it off slightly, just enough to stop leaks.  The biggest problem for someone that is new to CPAP/APAP is they tighten the mask far to tight, I was no exception, I tightened it so hard that I drew blood, but I was only trying to stop leaks.  It was the wrong shape for my face and I just couldn't seal it at the eyes.  After a lot of masks later I got Nasal Pillows and that was like a god send to me.  Why they didn't tell me about those earlier I have no idea.
The only problem with them is that they did cause a bit of irritation just inside the nostrils for a while or my nose got used to them, but after that I never looked back.
Try loosening the mask slightly, adjusting it so it does not ride up (though I had a mask that did this and there was no stopping it) and if that fails try another mask.  You might consider Nasal Pillows as you are almost there anyway.
Piain inside the nose after a couple of hours can be a lack of humidity, but I don't think that is the case with you.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a deviated septum? It might also be dryness & or congestion. I usually use Saline nasal spray. Arm & Hammer makes the best kind. It's just saline mixed with baking soda. It really helps with dryness & clearing blocked nasal passages.

NOTE: I am not a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its been over a year and i changed masks to the Brevida. Made all the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a full face mask with memory foam cushioning.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just read your first post again and you said the pain is gone in seconds, it does sound as if the mask is pressing against you nostrils and when you move it it disappears, so sounds as if it is pressing against you nostril.  If you haven't tried Nasal Pillows try them, but start with the biggest size first, if they are to big (they should sit on your nostrils and only the tip go inside) then only if they are to big and will not seal go to a smaller size.  Or you might choose to go for another type of mask.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your replies. Yes I switched over a year ago to nasal pillows and they made a huge. difference. Pain is gone, sleep is good and have settled in nicely into using the CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
As noted in the previous post by the OP, his issue was resolved a year ago.

Before replying to any post, please check the date both of the post you are replying to, and of the original post. Necro-posting is usually a waste of time.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the ongoing success.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.