Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

periodic breathing
Question 
periodic breathing
    DIY home sleep study - I set my machine to Cpap mode (lowest pressure 4) to get some baseline data. I thought it would be interesting to see what the results would be..... I found that no obstructives were registered(weight loss and sleeping on my side must be working..like) but this pattern of breathing showed up throughout the night... it looks like cheyne-stokes to me - how can you tell?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: periodic breathing
I think they are repeated episodes of obstructive apneas and hypopneas. Each episode is terminated by a large recovery breath which is the "gasp" you feel after an obstructive apnea. With Cheyne Stokes you'll see a gradual diminution in flow, followed by a gradual increase. You're seeing the gradual diminution but it's followed by an abrupt resumption of breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2016, 09:04 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I think they are repeated episodes of obstructive apneas and hypopneas. Each episode is terminated by a large recovery breath which is the "gasp" you feel after an obstructive apnea. With Cheyne Stokes you'll see a gradual diminution in flow, followed by a gradual increase. You're seeing the gradual diminution but it's followed by an abrupt resumption of breathing.

Right. Not CSR.

The UA shown are obstructive apneas and the hypopneas shown are obstructive hypopneas.

Need higher EPAP pressure to avoid the obstructive events.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
yep it is periodic, but it is not "periodic breathing" or CS breathing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.....
Post Reply Post Reply
vsheline helped me with my breathing that looked pretty much like yours, but mine would last for hours at a time. my low pressure was 1.2cm too low and right on the edge of being good enough. I would start to obstruct and then recover over and over, ala periodic like yours. when I raised the pressure a little at a time over many days my sleep leveled off and so far I am now sleeping through the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeh, I had not seen that pattern before - I would say partial obstructives (Flow limitation up).

I did this 'experiment' to see if/ how much the ASV has helped so I switched it to CPAP (pressure 4) - lowest setting. Sort of a DIY sleep-study....The AHI was 12 and a lot of 'interesting' breathing patterns and apneas for most of the 7:30hrs... And I felt bl....y awful the next day!!! (rotten headache etc).

Last night, I switched it back to ASVAuto (epap 6-9, ps 3-15) - AHI 1.1 with 7:30 hrs of nice waveforms and I feel energised... WOW

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,143 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 386 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 489 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.