Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

periodic leg movement
RE: periodic leg movement
Has anyone tried the product Relaxis that's used for RLS? Perhaps it may have an indication for PLMD?
Post Reply Post Reply
no, but was interested after looking at their website, only to read that they stopped filling prescriptions for it in June 2019. no indication of cost if as when it was or becomes available, other than a statement that few users can afford it out of pocket. I see another search hit that says it cost between $850 & $1100 in 2015. maybe there are other similar devices but they say theirs is the only one to have "fda clearance".
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried Tylenol, ibuprofen, or the combination of both which is supposed to provide very effective pain relief. I have seen that opioids can be used for treatment and it got me thinking that I would try the ibuprofen/acetaminophen combo. I have read some reports that pain could be involved with the condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
interesting you should ask.

recently I've noticed an association between my waking rls and discomfort in the small of my back / base of spine and a band across the lower back from hip to hip. also some discomfort vertically from the same lower back area down through the butt to the back of the legs. not real pain really, but sore like how a pulled muscle feels. when I start feeling rls coming on, it feels like it starts in those places before nearly instantaneously manifesting in the legs, initially leading to a jerking involuntary movement before the desire to voluntarily move sets in. tensing these back muscles goes a long way toward briefly relieving the restless leg discomfort.

I've also noticed that when falling asleep with rls and apparently dozing off, my flow rate pattern looks just like my sleeping plm pattern, which is interesting and confusing because up til now I've perceived my rls movements as voluntary and random - as opposed to the involuntary and consistently uniform sleeping plm flow rate pattern - further persuading me there's a very close connection between rls and plm.

at any rate (finally!), twice this past week I tried ibuprofen in an attempt to calm the rls, thinking if the back / hip discomfort eased, so might the rls/plm. two nights with just 200mg ibuprofen is insufficient to render a verdict but my initial sense is that it helped. I think I'll try the max dose a couple hours before bed for a couple weeks to see what happens.

on a side note I've been trying 100mg cbd for almost 2 months. for a while I thought it reduced the rls/plm but then I just had these 2 really severe rls episodes, so it's tough to conclude the cbd is helping. one of the recent bad nights I had fallen off the wagon and had an xmas cookie fest so naturally I suspected sugar to be a trigger, but I've had bad rls/plm when I haven't had much sugar, so that's also indeterminate.

have you tried pain relievers for rls/plm?
Post Reply Post Reply
I did try a low dose of the combination.  I do think my legs felt better, but I am going to continue experimenting. If you don't have a problem taking tylenol, try a combination.  Even at lower doses of each, the pain control is supposed to be much better.  An ibuprofen 200 mg and a tylenol 500 mg together would likely work better than higher doses of either alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Several years ago I came across an article about research on administrating a combination of NSAIDs and Acetaminophen for pain management.  Ultimately, it was found that a combination of both, using an equal strength dosage, was more effective than each drug independently.   The NSAIDs act as an anti-inflammatory and the Acetaminophen acts as a pain receptor blocker.

Of course, I am unable to locate the article for your review. . . It figures!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for that scoop, CN.

kevrx, I see you're using an asv. assuming you have plm and it shows up as a repetitive pattern in your flow rate, do you see ps rising and falling in concert with the plm pattern (example attached)?  if so, do you think it affects the quality of your sleep? 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
PLM can be a sign of low electrolytes. Magnesium being the one most people are deficient in. Also could be low calcium, best one to use is calcium lactate. Sodium is also a big one. The bell curve for sodium shows it's more dangerous to have too little than too much. It's worth it to try a supplement that incorporates all the electrolytes to see if that might be your issue. I recommend Re-Lye by Redmonds. They make Real Salt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sheepless, this is the closest thing I have seen on my profile.  I'm not sure what to make of it.  It kind of looks like I may have been awake here. I have not found any patterns that correspond with my quality of sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm jealous. 9+ uninterrupted hours, no leaks.

I think we might see a flow rate pattern similar to my plm pattern if you reset your flow rate graph scale to -80 and 80. it may or may not be necessary to drag the bottom of the box down a hair to stretch it vertically. I expect you know how to do this but just in case, right click on the words flow rate, then hover the cursor over y-axis, then set scaling mode to override and change the values to -80 and 80.

looks to me like ps is behaving the same as what I described and pictured in post #107.

I don't see anything to suggest you were awake but you would know better.

not for my purposes but for clarity, consider reducing the scale upper limit on tv and mv as well. on the 12/26 screenshot, your max tv is 1260 and max mv is 12.85.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,582 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Movement during sleep ovmeadows 2 243 02-05-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ovmeadows
Question Can movement be seen as AHI's? Gooserider 2 416 12-04-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Periodic breathing while semi-sleeping jaredihnen 7 630 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Is this APNEA, UARS or movement issues? lexit957 0 376 10-26-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: lexit957
  Does Airsense 10 require periodic calibration checks? CorruptAlligator 4 1,297 10-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Central Apneas and Periodic Breathing PatTheEngineer 1 487 10-14-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.