Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

periodic leg movement
RE: periodic leg movement
"So I need to try to upload my data again to Oscar to get a "base line" to track my "flow rate".... Is flow rate the same as Apneas? I read the WIKI but I am still not knoweldgable about the Oscar Data info."

Shulamet:

ask in your thread for assistance with how to post oscar screenshots. meanwhile, at the top of oscar click on view/reset graphs/standard, then you can either press f12 on the keyboard or click on screenshot just above reset graphs in the same menu. that'll give us a view of the entire night.

using the view size slider at the bottom of the events tab, you can zoom in and scroll through the graphs for a closer look. pay attention to the flow rate graph first, until you become more familiar with the data.

you can bookmark views and take f12 screenshots when you see something interesting or that you have questions about. to start, post the full night and others will likely ask for certain closer views. a 10 minute view scale is best to see plm breathing; 2 - 3 minute scale to see what's going on with events and flow limitations.

flow rate is a graph of your breathing with the machine, breath by breath. characteristics of the waveform are essential to understanding how therapy may be improved. apnea is flagged in the event flags graph box and can be seen in the zoomed flow rate as you scroll through.

plm and other kinds of abnormal breathing can often be identified this way as well.

"Can a Neurologist do other tests for PLM? Will he roll his eyes when I ask about Ropinirole without having RLS?"

I don't know of any tests other than a polysomnogram sleep study which you already have. just take the report with the plm statistics with you. they may do blood tests to see if something like low iron, magnesium etc is a potential cause. they may test for underlying diseases that are associated with rls/plm, although my docs never did. (the guy that prescribed ropinirole for me accepted my claim of plm without documentation.)

as far as I know, the same drugs are used to treat rls and plm. ropinirole is one of several typically prescribed; seems to be according to doctor preference but is still a matter of trial and error. if s/he rolls their eyes, be insistent or find a new doc! I suppose they might do the eye roll over information gotten off the internet and they might suggest something other than ropinirole, but that's okay.
Post Reply Post Reply
@sheepless

Background....about 35 years ago we had a Golden Retriever with cancer. We met a holistic Veterinarian named Sharon Kopinak. Our Golden Retrievers remained in her care.  Winston. Bentley. Quin. Charlot. and now Morgan.  Sharon passed away about a year ago. She was a real vet; she was incredible. She used holistic remedies.

So I use holistic remedies.  

My Sleep Doc has only referred to RLSyndrome. He's never treated me for it.

What do I use? (Know that I can't see myself sleeping at night...do they work?)

Bach Flower Remedies....Rescue Remedy.  Drops. Spray. Cream.  I find that I require a heavier dose to get benefit.

Same.  White Chestnut. Helps with sleep.

Same.  Mimilus.  Fear of known things.

St Francis Herb Farm.  Passion Flower Tincture; bottle with an eyedropper top.  Doctor Oz recommended this tincture for stress relief.  

If anyone wants to talk about dowsing, please PM me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Shulamet
You asked....DaveL how do you like the Resmed Auto sense for Her? Did it reduce your AHI? Do you feel more refreshed upon waking?

Then you said that you have the Phillips Dream Station and want to switch but not sure if I need a BiPap... no one is looking at my study and advising...its all cookie cutter."

Your comment really resonated with me.  Cookie cutter.

That's the story of my OSA/Restless Leg Syndrome treatment. Except I've done this stuff for over 30 years.

I could rant about my experiences; but what's the point?

I've been on other forums; even newsgroups.
I believe I must be my own advocate.  

I KNOW that my experience changed when I asked for advice here. And I finally listened.  I put away all the conversations I had with my sleep docs.  

I took control, followed advice here and got a ResMed "For Her" or whatever it's called.

I asked for help setting it up; it was setup as a cpap. (long story).  I set it up.

I used OSCAR to post results. First results were terrible. Heartbreaking after having good numbers for many years even though I had poor treatment.

Please let me know if this helps. I believe you will learn if you need the "For Her" machine.  And you will really prosper.

Why don't sleep docs talk about Sleep Quality?  It's no darn wonder that a lot of people quit!

Dave

I care.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
@sheepless

Background....about 35 years ago we had a Golden Retriever with cancer. We met a holistic Veterinarian named Sharon Kopinak. Our Golden Retrievers remained in her care.  Winston. Bentley. Quin. Charlot. and now Morgan.  Sharon passed away about a year ago. She was a real vet; she was incredible. She used holistic remedies.

So I use holistic remedies.  

My Sleep Doc has only referred to RLSyndrome. He's never treated me for it.

What do I use? (Know that I can't see myself sleeping at night...do they work?)

Bach Flower Remedies....Rescue Remedy.  Drops. Spray. Cream.  I find that I require a heavier dose to get benefit.

Same.  White Chestnut. Helps with sleep.

Same.  Mimilus.  Fear of known things.

St Francis Herb Farm.  Passion Flower Tincture; bottle with an eyedropper top.  Doctor Oz recommended this tincture for stress relief.  

If anyone wants to talk about dowsing, please PM me.

Edit: Getting on....74 and counting. Still working as an engineer. I've gone the conventional way for most of my life. I was raised to believe in doctors and to behave. Don't make the doctor's mad!
I started getting migraines when I was about 18....still get them. I had to find out how to treat them myself. Doctors just gave me bigger and better pills.
I believed my sleep doc and followed instructions. Except they didn't work.

Participating here works. I have a lot to learn. I'm very grateful for all the people that have helped me.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, thanks for the scoop on wholistic remedies. can you say a bit more about how well they're helping? I wouldn't ask you to do it but it would be interesting to try a month off the remedies to see if you notice a resurgence of rls.

I'm fascinated by dowsing. Magic. it's been on my long long wish list of things to learn about.
Post Reply Post Reply
sheepless I've found buried pipe, cable, even coax or plastic conduit underground. I've done it for over 40 years. 3M Canada 1973 or so....big site; poor records.

Recently I've started using dowsing rods for more!

And a pendulum too.

RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME Zinkum Metallicum

I'll get some and try it out. I've never taken anything for restless leg syndrome though it was diagnosed about 35 years ago in my first sleep study.

ps dowsing fascinates me too. I have always been successful. Thousands and thousands of trials.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I have ordered some Zinkum Metallicum to see....Restless Leg Syndrome.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I started a thread OSCAR DATA?/SWITCH FROM APAP TO RESMED BIPAP OR ASV. 
I am trying to find out if I have Centrals and if they are treatment  emergent. 
I struggle with some of the computer Oscar things...taking me time to figure it out. I  want to get the right one this time.
Thank you for reaching out...learning you are geting some restorative sleep is wonderful and gives me hope that a different algorythym will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
2Shulamet---excellent.

My story doesn't matter here. Except maybe a short story will set your mind at ease.

I've used Sleepyhead and now Oscar. I regretted not being able to interpret or understand Oscar. I was assured it would come with time and shown to a guide that's being written.

So if you wish, put your OSCAR traces up. People will stand up and help you. And with help you'll understand!

The advantage here is that it's not cookie cutter.... Smile

Dave
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2021, 09:36 AM)DaveL Wrote: I have ordered some Zinkum Metallicum to see....Restless Leg Syndrome.

Just got it!  Now I'll start taking it...let you know if it has any effect.

My sleep docs have all ignored restless leg syndrome. I was diagnosed during my first sleep study. 30 years later==my last sleep study confirmed I have RLS.

The only REAL PROOF I have is my dog won't sleep on the bed with me.  Wink

Sleep-well

edit:  Yesterday I got a supply of Zinkum Metallicum.  Dose--5 pellets  3 times a day. I took the first just before bedtime.  This is hardly an experiment....I woke up completely refreshed and happy!  I can count how many times this has happened in my 30+ years of treatment on the fingers of both hands.  (8 )  So the trial goes on.  Please know that I have no way to show that I have restless leg syndrome.  Therefore I have no way to determine whether it's effective.  
Later I'll spend some time searching here for "restless leg syndrome"  to learn as much as I can.

Yes--restless leg syndrome has been confirmed in two sleep studies, 30 years apart.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,584 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Movement during sleep ovmeadows 2 243 02-05-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: ovmeadows
Question Can movement be seen as AHI's? Gooserider 2 416 12-04-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Periodic breathing while semi-sleeping jaredihnen 7 630 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Is this APNEA, UARS or movement issues? lexit957 0 376 10-26-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: lexit957
  Does Airsense 10 require periodic calibration checks? CorruptAlligator 4 1,297 10-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Central Apneas and Periodic Breathing PatTheEngineer 1 487 10-14-2023, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.