Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pink residue in humidifier tank
pink residue in humidifier tank
I noticed this pink "something" a month or more ago. It's difficult to get out with a paper towel. I assume it was some kind of growth. I empty and dry my tank every day, and I never had this with my old cpap machine. I was using a So Clean daily with that and assumed this pink "something" was the result of that machine having broke.

I now have a Respify ozone cleaner--and yet the pink residue remains. I'm now wondering if it's not a mineral deposit from my faucet water. i do have a robust filter on my faucet. But maybe not robust enough?

I'm drying the tank and leaving it in sunlight recently as well.

The pink color is in the corners of my  new Airsense 10 tank, which is harder to dry out than my former tank.

I suppose cleaning with vinegar or some such thing is in order. Mostly I'm curious if the pinks stuff if organic--mold--or mineral.

Any insights?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pink residue in humidifier tank
It is likely pink mould it is not harmful but regular cleaning with dawn or similar will remove it. Cleaning in the corners of the tank with a QTip or Similar (Think that’s what its called I am in the UK) may help
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a very common, non-pathogenic, airborne bacteria (Serratia marcescens) that forms a protective slime and is very resistant to most conventional cleaning. This is commonly found in baths, showers, dog bowls, pools and any space that remains wet. You can easily clean it out with hydrogen peroxide and a Q-tip, or other cleaners like vinegar, or bleach, but the peroxide breaks down the organic protective slime and kills the organism. Scrubbing is required.

It is harmless but looks bad, and can best be prevented by daily spilling the water and letting the container completely dry. Because it is airborne it will colonize any wet surface again, so drying and regular water changes are needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much! I just used a q tip and hydrogen peroxide; the stuff is incredibly tenacious. the Airsense humidifier has far more nooks and crannies than my old tub. It's harder to dry out with a paper towel. Maybe this is the source of the problem. I either never noticed this with my old tub or it never had the issue.

glad that it's non toxic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hegel, I was going to suggest peroxide myself.  Truthfully, I didn't think I was getting any flora in my reservoir about five months into my therapy.  But, one day as I drained the dregs, I thought I noticed a very slight translucent lensing that I had not noticed before.  It was also very faintly pinkish.  I knew what it was, natch, and wondered what to remove it with.  I tried peroxide, and it worked surprisingly well just letting it sit for a minute and then swishing.  It has been 18 months with no recurrence, oddly, so I have forgotten exactly what else I did, but I'm pretty sure I would also have used a bleach bathroom tile cleaner as well, two sprays, swish, wait two-three, then rinse thoroughly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some white vinegar every now & then works wonders. And, no scrubbing required. Just let it soak for 15 min. or so. Dump it and then rinse with water. 

I never get anything other than some minor mineral build-up in my reservoir.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
It's called a 'biofilm' and is, has other have said, a bacteria. These should always be removed or avoided though, because even if the film is initially created by a 'harmless' bacteria, biofilm encourages other, less benign, bacteria to take hold.

This is why many countries put chlorine in the reticulated water supply - to discourage biofilm growth. You will nevertheless find biofilm on pretty much every surface that is frequently wetted, especially those that are warm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Almost 6 years, and I've never experienced any thing like that, no pink stuff, no bio-film, no mold...
But I do wash the humidifier tub with Dawn soap at least twice a week. Also let soak with white vinegar once a week. Only use distilled water.

Cleaning takes less than two minutes of my time and well worth not having any of that to deal with.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use distilled water, but moved to the filtered water out of my tap. we have very good water here. Still, I never had this issue until recently. Hmmm...

I need to buy some vinegar. i'm lazy so soaking appeals to me. And I'm a little nervous about using bleach, which kills everything.

My tub is in the sun as we speak.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bacteria is airborne. Distilled water is not a preventive, although it sounds anecdotally good. Daily drying and good hygiene is the way to prevent colonization.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 700 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,132 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 313 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 763 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 505 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.