Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

please advise re:leaks
please advise re:leaks

I have tried every suggestion found on this board to reduce leaks and now I am at the crossroads of considering full face mask. AHI is acceptable but likely not accurate due to the leaks. See data attached. Do you agree that they are bad enough to go to FFM? DME says "if you feel better, you're doing fine"...and "your AHI is good so you're doing fine". I trust judgement of you fine folks more than the DME. What say you?

Thanks!
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: please advise re:leaks
Inspired... no attachment.

Lacking that, I'll just say I prefer a FFM. Whether it's better for another person depends on so many factors.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am trying out a P10 Nasal pillow after having used a F10 FFM for 2 weeks. My first impression is that I would prefer the P10 if it worked. But so far no joy, it seems I am a mouth breather... sigh. I have ordered a chin strap that will be here Monday to see if that solves that. If not, then the F10 is my poison of choice. Actually I like the F10 FFM a lot, but the P10 feels like it would be less restrictive, if I can get it to work.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: please advise leaks
(04-21-2016, 04:39 PM)justMongo Wrote: Inspired... no attachment.

Lacking that, I'll just say I prefer a FFM. Whether it's better for another person depends on so many factors.

Mongo,
Look above my message. I did revise it so maybe you looked while I was in the process.
Thanks for your input.
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Inspired,

My offhand suspicion is that you are mouth leaking/breathing. If so, you need to try a chin strap or soft neck brace. If that does not work, it may be time for the dreaded full face mask. Personally, I like mine.

One other thing, I think that your DME is full of you know what.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Inspired,

I don't know all the suggestions anyone ever offered that you already followed, but I hope this one helps.

I am a mouth breather and started with a FFM because the sleep tech said I was not a good candidate for a nasal mask or pillows.

Even with a FFM I still couldn't make the leaks go away.

Moved from F10 to Simplus (less leaks, more comfortable, YMMV) but still couldn't reliably eliminate all the major leaks. Finally added a chin strap and leaks went away virtually overnight.

Not long after that, I started wondering if I might be able to use a P10 with a chin strap. One night on the P10 and I was assimilated.

So my suggestion is first try a chin strap. I use the Ruby, it cost about $16 on amazon. A lot cheaper than buying a FFM to see if it controls the leaks, and the FFM might not (as in my case).

If the chin strap solves the leak issue then you can continue with the nasal mask you already have.

Or ... with mouth leaks eliminated, you could perhaps even try nasal pillows. If pillows can work for you they are much lighter weight, more comfortable, and use lower pressures than other masks (remember if you do switch that you have to set the CPAP machine to pillows vs mask).

If chin strap does not solve the leak with a nasal mask, then maybe you move up to a FFM. Of course FFM covers the mouth and the fact that it didn't solve leaks for me was a personal issue not a FFM issue. It was the seal around the face that still leaked a bit (side sleeper, moved around in my sleep, who knows).

If you do go the FFM route, it's not terrible... you won't mind at all if you get great sleep with it. But I sure do prefer the light weight and comfort of the P10 if you have otherwise addressed mouth leaks with a chin strap.

So, again I would first try the chin strap (cheap quick experiment) before throwing down dollars for a FFM that will cover more of your face.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 10:24 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Inspired,

My offhand suspicion is that you are mouth leaking/breathing. If so, you need to try a chin strap or soft neck brace. If that does not work, it may be time for the dreaded full face mask. Personally, I like mine.

One other thing, I think that your DME is full of you know what.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Tried chin strap and soft neck brace plus mouth tape. Ordered FFM today. Oh-jeez

Thanks Payton

(04-22-2016, 01:44 PM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: Hi Inspired,

I don't know all the suggestions anyone ever offered that you already followed, but I hope this one helps.

I am a mouth breather and started with a FFM because the sleep tech said I was not a good candidate for a nasal mask or pillows.

Even with a FFM I still couldn't make the leaks go away.

Moved from F10 to Simplus (less leaks, more comfortable, YMMV) but still couldn't reliably eliminate all the major leaks. Finally added a chin strap and leaks went away virtually overnight.

Not long after that, I started wondering if I might be able to use a P10 with a chin strap. One night on the P10 and I was assimilated.

So my suggestion is first try a chin strap. I use the Ruby, it cost about $16 on amazon. A lot cheaper than buying a FFM to see if it controls the leaks, and the FFM might not (as in my case).

If the chin strap solves the leak issue then you can continue with the nasal mask you already have.

Or ... with mouth leaks eliminated, you could perhaps even try nasal pillows. If pillows can work for you they are much lighter weight, more comfortable, and use lower pressures than other masks (remember if you do switch that you have to set the CPAP machine to pillows vs mask).

If chin strap does not solve the leak with a nasal mask, then maybe you move up to a FFM. Of course FFM covers the mouth and the fact that it didn't solve leaks for me was a personal issue not a FFM issue. It was the seal around the face that still leaked a bit (side sleeper, moved around in my sleep, who knows).

If you do go the FFM route, it's not terrible... you won't mind at all if you get great sleep with it. But I sure do prefer the light weight and comfort of the P10 if you have otherwise addressed mouth leaks with a chin strap.

So, again I would first try the chin strap (cheap quick experiment) before throwing down dollars for a FFM that will cover more of your face.

Saldus Miegas

Alas, Chin strap and nasal pillows did not work for me. Ordered FFM today. Thanks for the advice.

Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F10 FFM. I use a chin strap with it because I found that, although less confortable, it keeps the mask in place better when I switch from left side to back to right side of vice versa. During the first month before chin strap, the F10 would ride up and the bottom of the mask would be in my mouth. Result was very dry mouth. I have tried several chin straps. You may find with the FFM that you do not need a chin strap.

Best wishes
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 02:20 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: I use the F10 FFM. I use a chin strap with it because I found that, although less confortable, it keeps the mask in place better when I switch from left side to back to right side of vice versa. During the first month before chin strap, the F10 would ride up and the bottom of the mask would be in my mouth. Result was very dry mouth. I have tried several chin straps. You may find with the FFM that you do not need a chin strap.

Best wishes

Started using FFM (F P Simplus) last night. Dry mouth AND the most horrible night I've had ever but am not daunted. I'll adjust in time. Even sleepyhead report called it "horrible".Dielaughing
Chin strap did not work for me in the past but soft cervical collar did so I might add that back into my regimen if things do not improve. Am hoping for the most simple set up possible so I don't feel like a creature from outer space.
Thanks
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 05:07 PM)Inspired Wrote: Started using FFM (F P Simplus) last night. Dry mouth AND the most horrible night I've had ever but am not daunted. I'll adjust in time. Even sleepyhead report called it "horrible".Dielaughing
Chin strap did not work for me in the past but soft cervical collar did so I might add that back into my regimen if things do not improve. Am hoping for the most simple set up possible so I don't feel like a creature from outer space.
Thanks

Biotene gel at bedtime helped me a lot with dry mouth when I was using a FFM.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 37 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  First Night Looking for advise wjg1 4 144 03-12-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 87 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 194 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.