Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

please help wiht c-pap struggle
please help wiht c-pap struggle
please help I have a pressure of 14 and dont see the dr until july.I have been at this c-pap for at least 2 months.
I have gained 25lbs in one month,all in my belly -I am already obese.
I fear it is swalloed air?(i am having tests as well to see what it is)
I use a quattro mask and have trouble keeping it on -my mouth breathing is horrific.
I am at my wits end.I need the pressure at 14 because my neck is huge.and the lower pressure of 10 made me feel like i was suffocating.
I have a chin strap and a nose type mask but it is not working so i use the full mask.
also my body is so tired.
I dont know what to do.
why am i gaining weight?
and I dont feel better...a couple of nights I did but thats it.
i have resp therapist who looks at downlaod,my sleep habits all over the map.andi take benzos for yrs...cant just quit
I have so many problems with this c-pap I just dont know what to do.
can anyone help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: please help wiht c-pap struggle
Well, for one, I sincerely doubt you are gaining weight due to air being in your stomach. I don't think you could have air in there for that long and it not pass one way or the other. And it would not add weight since it is air.

Weight at the belt line is one indicator of diabetes. I'm sure your doctor's are aware of that, though.

You say you have doctor appts to find out what is going on. Good. I hope they can help you.

But, ultimately, it all comes down to you. You are the one that must do what it takes to be healthy. You've said in your other thread that you want to come off of "benzos". I believe in that thread you got a lot of good advice. We can give you advice until our fingers fall off but until you do something about it yourself, it is all for nothing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2012, 10:20 PM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I have so many problems with this c-pap I just dont know what to do.
can anyone help?
As Paula said its comes down to you and really no body going to knock on your front door and sort it for you. You've tackle the problems one by one and the first place to start is the mask bc its the key to success with the therapy. Where about are you, if you,re in US than work with your DME for mask sizing/fitting and you can use their 30 days mask return policy til you get the right mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Linda, first of all I would say calm down and dont panic. takes things one at a time and try not to become too overwhelmed by it all as we all know it can be a become daunting when you first start out. As others have said check in with your doc and take it from there on your weight issues and for your cpap, speak to your dme.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2012, 10:47 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Well, for one, I sincerely doubt you are gaining weight due to air being in your stomach. I don't think you could have air in there for that long and it not pass one way or the other. And it would not add weight since it is air.

Weight at the belt line is one indicator of diabetes. I'm sure your doctor's are aware of that, though.

You say you have doctor appts to find out what is going on. Good. I hope they can help you.

But, ultimately, it all comes down to you. You are the one that must do what it takes to be healthy. You've said in your other thread that you want to come off of "benzos". I believe in that thread you got a lot of good advice. We can give you advice until our fingers fall off but until you do something about it yourself, it is all for nothing.

I have been checked for diabetes and just about everyhting else there are many others who gain weight using c-pap-I have heard of lots.
and I certainly dont expect any of you to sort anything for me.
I just wanted some help and support that's all.
and just because i am hooked on benzos doesnt mean I WANT to take them,Their withdrawl syndrome is horrific.I have tried.
I wouldnt ask for help here if I could find it in my medical community.
There is no one who is willing to give you masks to try out here I dont live in the US.
But thanks anyway,I will muddle through it myself.
(05-25-2012, 11:55 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-25-2012, 10:20 PM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I have so many problems with this c-pap I just dont know what to do.
can anyone help?
As Paula said its comes down to you and really no body going to knock on your front door and sort it for you. You've tackle the problems one by one and the first place to start is the mask bc its the key to success with the therapy. Where about are you, if you,re in US than work with your DME for mask sizing/fitting and you can use their 30 days mask return policy til you get the right mask.
There is no 30 day policy on anything here -wish there was

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2012, 12:46 AM)Dreamcatcher Wrote: Hi Linda, first of all I would say calm down and dont panic. takes things one at a time and try not to become too overwhelmed by it all as we all know it can be a become daunting when you first start out. As others have said check in with your doc and take it from there on your weight issues and for your cpap, speak to your dme.

Welcome
I am fairly calm except when I wake up gasping for breath.
as for doctors ,I hear they are very good in the US but here they just dont give a rip.Really they dont -it comes with so called -free hcare that I dont give a rip attitude.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2012, 12:45 PM)lindaadams1954 Wrote: I am fairly calm except when I wake up gasping for breath.
as for doctors ,I hear they are very good in the US but here they just dont give a rip.Really they dont -it comes with so called -free hcare that I dont give a rip attitude.

In what country is "here"?

Sounds like your settings may be too low. Have you checked the settings on your machine? Go to this site to learn how to check your settings: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I have been checked for diabetes and just about everyhting else there are many others who gain weight using c-pap-I have heard of lots.

That's not what I said at all. I said the weight gain is not from the air in your stomach. I did not imply the weight gain was not the fault of the CPAP. However, it is assumed that adequate sleep would lead to more energy which in turn would lead to a stronger desire to move about. While you may know of people who have gained weight after using CPAP, I have heard of no one. At least right off the top of my head. But I do know two people personally who have lost weight after starting CPAP therapy. It is a grey area. Someone will eventually do a very expensive study about it and reach the same conclusion.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've gained a bit of weight after starting CPAP therapy, and have heard of others who've had the same experience. We burn fewer calories because we're not gasping for air all night.

But on the other hand, in the long run CPAP therapy does cause weight loss. It's not a magic bullet, though. It takes discipline. The CPAP therapy helps because when we are less fatigued it lowers our cravings for food.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 47 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  [Treatment] Struggle to breath in with CPAP davroman 4 540 05-29-2023, 06:39 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question Struggle with Full Face Masks... laurent123 1 518 04-19-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [Symptoms] Struggle with focus and concentration in the mornings, a little tired and fatigued. aliceafx 3 550 03-26-2023, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  [Treatment] mask & settings struggle walk R.Ky 5 615 12-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: R.Ky
  [CPAP] Solved my struggle with CPAP faysalals 1 568 12-23-2021, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Has anyone been doing well with their CPAP treatment, and suddenly began to struggle? Irate Frogger 2 713 08-20-2020, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Canuck 2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.