Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pls define unclassified apneas
pls define unclassified apneas
I have a new resmed s9, and the first 4 nights it shows no central aps, no obs, and leaks around 0-15, but a large number of unknowns, whatever they are.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pls define unclassified apneas
Others here understand the Resmed algorithm better than me. But the unknowns could by a hypopnea, a disturbance from you coughing or sneezing, etc. Don't worry about them for now. Keep on the therapy and getting used to the treatment. In a month or two, then take another look at them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2015, 07:18 PM)nativedancer Wrote: I have a new resmed s9, and the first 4 nights it shows no central aps, no obs, and leaks around 0-15, but a large number of unknowns, whatever they are.
Unknown Apnea http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...er_eng.pdf
An apnea during which a leak higher than 30 L/min occurs, precluding accurate determination of whether the apnea is obstructive or central.

You'll need to look into ResScan leak graph, to see the leak rate at the time "unknown apnea" scored
Might be for a minute or so, while lifting the mask, adjusting mask fit, or just large leak briefly

Whats maximum leak reported?

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, so I have an S9 Adapt, the lesser of the models. Because it is an ASV, it does not differentiate between CAs and OAs...it assumes I am using ASV so CAs are taken care of. I am not sure that other non ASV models would have that limitation, they "should" show CAs and OAs, I would guess. In the Adapt's case the machine is merely showing Apneas, they could be anything...it does show Hypopneas.

Unclassified can mean that leaks are high, that is above the red line which makes it hard for the machine to tell the difference, it may also mean that your particular machine
just does not know the difference...

Sorry if this does not help, it was hard to find any real info out there, but it interested me too as I have been getting ready for a CPAP titration on Monday and wanted to know how the Apneas were doing...will have to wait...

all the best,

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Storywizard. I probably fret too much; Dr is not concerned at all w/the apneas --he was mainly interested in the overnight oximeter report, and once he realized it was a fat 98, he said, hey, see you in December.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever mine scores a UA it usually is during a large leak. Not sure on your machine but on the A10 when it detects an apnea it starts a small oscillation of pressure "1cm H2O peak-to-peak at 4hz" to determine if your airway is blocked or open. Because of the leak it can't get a good reading so it flags it as UA. Not all UA happen during leaks its just the most common I have found.

(shaded area is a leak)
[Image: ua.PNG]
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 556 44 minutes ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 855 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,283 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 453 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.