Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

possible DME problem ??
I have to say, as someone who pays copay and deductible, the 2 pillows per month is a bit obscene. I got a new mask 6 months ago, and traded for a second pillow in my size, and have been using them since. 2/month. Wow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 05:50 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: All of my orders up to this time have been for every 3 months. And No, they did not send me a mask, just the 5 pillows. I don't look forward to trying to prove to them over the phone that there are just the 5 pillows.

GrammaBear,
I know what you mean. Last month, I ordered two nasal pillows and two fine white filters. Well the nasal pillows came, but no filters. So after calling my DME and inquiring about the missing filters, I received the third degree. According to them, the packing slip states that they were in the box. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 06:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have to say, as someone who pays copay and deductible, the 2 pillows per month is a bit obscene. I got a new mask 6 months ago, and traded for a second pillow in my size, and have been using them since. 2/month. Wow.

Don't blame you for being amazed. I can only speak for myself and no one else, but absolutely nothing about Medicare and my secondary insurance makes any sense at all.

I wash the pillows each morning with baby shampoo per instructions from some kind person on this forum, so don't really need new ones as often as they send them either. They did ask me if I wanted filters since I was "eligible" and I told them 'No - don't like your generic filters as they don't quite fit my machine the best as do the ResMed filters.' Lady on the other end of the line says "they are all the same." Ok.........didn't feel like arguing with her.

Post Reply Post Reply

(07-18-2015, 06:31 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 05:50 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: All of my orders up to this time have been for every 3 months. And No, they did not send me a mask, just the 5 pillows. I don't look forward to trying to prove to them over the phone that there are just the 5 pillows.

GrammaBear,
I know what you mean. Last month, I ordered two nasal pillows and two fine white filters. Well the nasal pillows came, but no filters. So after calling my DME and inquiring about the missing filters, I received the third degree. According to them, the packing slip states that they were in the box. Oh-jeez

I understand what you're saying. I am almost to the point where I would prefer to pay cash to an online merchant and buy my stuff when I actually need it and then use the cost of these items as a deduction on my income tax. Life seemed so much simpler when I paid cash for stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 06:41 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I understand what you're saying. I am almost to the point where I would prefer to pay cash to an online merchant and buy my stuff when I actually need it and then use the cost of these items as a deduction on my income tax. Life seemed so much simpler when I paid cash for stuff.

Doesn't work out well. First you have to jump the 7.5% of AGI before it is a deduction. Then jump the standard deduction of $7750 for over 65 years old. If you have a large income, it's difficult to jump A. If a low income, you cannot jump B.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 06:59 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 06:41 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I understand what you're saying. I am almost to the point where I would prefer to pay cash to an online merchant and buy my stuff when I actually need it and then use the cost of these items as a deduction on my income tax. Life seemed so much simpler when I paid cash for stuff.

Doesn't work out well. First you have to jump the 7.5% of AGI before it is a deduction. Then jump the standard deduction of $7750 for over 65 years old. If you have a large income, it's difficult to jump A. If a low income, you cannot jump B.

Definitely don't have a large income, but will say we've met the standard deduction of $7750 easily the past four years. Walgreen's likes to see me coming Smile

Post Reply Post Reply

(07-18-2015, 06:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have to say, as someone who pays copay and deductible, the 2 pillows per month is a bit obscene. I got a new mask 6 months ago, and traded for a second pillow in my size, and have been using them since. 2/month. Wow.

I'm with you there. After 3 months (following the DME guidelines of ordering replacement 'stuff'), I too was surprised when I ordered a replacement cushion and pillow for the mask instead of the entire mask/headgear and she said "Okay that's 2 sets of cushions and 2 pillows. Good for one month". I stuttered. I don't stutter. But I stuttered - and because I stuttered I just managed to come out with "ok". So I received two sets of cushions and pillows. I guess I'm set for the next 6 months? Oh-jeez

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply

Well, there's your answer then. Call them and tell them that they owe you a pillow. You shouldn't have to prove anything. It's not your fault that the warehouse messed up your order. It happens. If it was a pattern, that would be a different story.

I just got called Friday for my first re-supply - just pillows and filters. It will be interesting to see what I actually get. I didn't think to request Resmed specific - I'll have to remember that next time. Generic fine filters never come up to scratch compared to the ones provided by a machine manufacturer. They do make a difference unless you already use an air cleaner.

I didn't know that Medicare would pay for pillows AND cushions! That's good. My next mask will be a full mask (to use when nose is sore) and then I can get replacement parts for both. Do you know if you are required to buy the mask from the Medicare DME or can you buy your own mask somewhere else and just have the Medicare DME provide replacement cushions?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2015, 07:22 PM)AlanE Wrote: I too was surprised when I ordered a replacement cushion and pillow and she said "Okay that's 2 sets of cushions and 2 pillows. Good for one month". I stuttered. I don't stutter. So I received two sets of cushions and pillows.

what DME do you use? I never heard of a DME giving 2 for each mask type you have per month.
Post Reply Post Reply

Aerocare. I just have the one mask.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply