Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

post-surgery cpap pressure
post-surgery cpap pressure
Hello Wise Ones,

I had septo/turb surgery in March. After being in denial (thinking I could go without after surgery), started using my cpap again. Much easier now that my nose is working! I notice that my apneas are gone, but I wake up in a complete fog and am lethargic all day.

Is my pressure too low now? Going to see my sleep doc next week, but not sure I can wait that long - may need to reset!

Advice? Tips? Anything?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: post-surgery cpap pressure
Without professional feedback, I think your immediate test would be to NOT use the CPAP for a night and see if the "fog...lethargy" go away also. This would tend to suggest the CPAP therapy is causing the "fog". Then put the mask on for a night and see what happens. My guess is that either; 1) you aren't reaching Rem (deep sleep), or, 2) you aren't getting sufficient oxigen while you sleep. Perhaps you could run these by your doctor over the phone before having to wait for the appointment.
--==<< old, experienced, but still curious >>==--
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Yes, the fog is gone without CPAP...instead, the awful nervous feeling of having been awakened by many apnea episodes. This is why I think I need my CPAP back but at a different (higher) setting. I'm thinking it needs to be higher. Want to set it myself - very tempted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2012, 03:05 PM)SheShawn Wrote: Thank you. Yes, the fog is gone without CPAP...instead, the awful nervous feeling of having been awakened by many apnea episodes. This is why I think I need my CPAP back but at a different (higher) setting. I'm thinking it needs to be higher. Want to set it myself - very tempted.
I had the same surgery in April and the first couple weeks after surgery couldn't use my nasal mask and couldn't tolerate full face mask either. My advice to anyone who is thinking about this surgery and uses a nasal mask is try use a full face mask well ahead of the surgery.
Now 8 weeks after the surgery things are back as before no change in AHI, pressure or hours sleeping.
Which S9 are using Autoset or Escape Auto?

Post Reply Post Reply
Autoset. I know how to reset. Wondering if I should move the maximum up to 11 - I know, really minor. It feels risky but I don't like being in a fog. Yuk. 4 shots of espresso barely make a difference!
Post Reply Post Reply
What does the data say? How is the AHI number?

The risk of raising it is the increase in central events. However, with an Autoset, you won't use the higher pressure unless you need it.

How long have you been back on CPAP? If only a short while (less than 2 weeks) don't make any adjustments. Just let your body readjust to it. And see your sleep doc ASAP.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2012, 03:18 PM)SheShawn Wrote: Autoset. I know how to reset. Wondering if I should move the maximum up to 11 - I know, really minor. It feels risky but I don't like being in a fog. Yuk. 4 shots of espresso barely make a difference!
Even if you change the pressure the machine wouldn't go there if not needed providing leaks kept under control preferably below 24 L/min.
Take a look at the machine sleep report, it shows AHI, 95% percentile pressure/leak and hours. Its not rocket science if the 95% percentile pressure is close or at the maximum set pressure 10 then ought to be higher. You can download ResScan software from this board, it will show the data in more details including the median- 95% and maximum pressure ok going to have my coffee now its past 6.30 Monday morning Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 118 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,869 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 169 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 236 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.