Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

postprandial nap (my doctors disagree apparently)
postprandial nap (my doctors disagree apparently)
I have always felt like taking a nap after lunch. Pretty much all my life. Small lunches may make the need to take that quick nap less pressing, but it's still there.
To me, the postprandial nap (even if just a power nap) has always felt like when Windows 95 called for a reboot, like in nothing freaking works until you restart your PC.

My doctor says that there is no problem with the nap, if that's what makes me feel better, while my sleep doctor says that now that I have my CPAP and that I have the situation under control, those naps are absolutely NOT OK. If I wake up to early in the morning, I should take a pill of Remfresh and go back to bed, but get out of the postprandial nap habit.

Who is right? Because of Covid, I've been WFH for 18 months and the nap was easy, but now that I'm going back to the office, it's a problem, as taking a nap is not easily done.

What's your take? Should I train my body (and brain) to deal without the afternoon nap? I feel that my brain works a lot better after sleeping (and coffee), but maybe it's just a question of getting used to the new regimen. What does science say about this?

Thanks

Fillmore
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: postprandial nap (my doctors disagree apparently)
I can't imagine what taking a melatonin pill at 5 am would do the the rest of the day... especially a slow release version

OTOH, it doesn't do anything for me in the evening either...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Melatonin "sort-of" works for me, but I would not suggest taking it in the early morning. That would probably make me fall asleep at work (thankfully I'm retired).
But if you want to experiment try it on a weekend and see how it goes.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband has recently had sleep changes. Instead of 12 hours a night (Parkinism) he self shifted into a 7 hour night and a 2-3 hour afternoon nap. He’s retired, so not an issue. Brought it up to primary doctor who told us to research “biphasic” sleep. Apparently that was the way of the earth until artificial lighting became a thing a few hundred years ago. Worth a search and something to mention to your doctor to back up your experiences? YMMV
Post Reply Post Reply
You can google this topic and find medical advice pointing in both directions, just as your two doctors do.

Would it be impossible for you to nap at work? If so, then you'll need to adjust, whatever the medical consensus of the moment. A couple of ideas: take a walk after lunch. And maximize your chances of getting an adequate amount of sleep at night. (You should aim for between 7 and 8 hours minimum.) Here are guidelines that can really help:

• Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
• Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
• Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
• If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
• Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
• Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
• Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
• Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
• Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
• Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
• Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
• Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
• Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
• Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great advice of others, including Dormeo. Those things may help to adjust your sleep schedule to meet social norms, or expectations. Most of my adult life, I have been biphasic. I am not the least bit upset about it.

Hope you get the result you are after.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 697 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Sleep Doctors Eatapeach 2 440 08-28-2023, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleep doctors giving conflicting advice Morgannon 8 827 02-10-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question New CPAP user. Apparently I take off my mask at night, no memory of this. liquilife 1 635 07-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: hh9797
  Well DAYIM -- Apparently when you sleep with covid you hold your breath a lot! cathyf 0 532 05-24-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  Online Sleep Doctors--Easy Rx (renewal/upgrade)? Scam? Thoughts? PurchanceToDream 2 719 04-30-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: PurchanceToDream
  [CPAP] Really new, left in dark by doctors ConorRyan2612 18 1,699 11-26-2021, 10:01 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.