Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: prescription setting
(02-17-2014 02:29 AM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:  your prescription may not actually be programmed into the machine. in my case my prescription is 15, but my machine was programmed for a min'm of 5 and max'm of 20 using a VPAP option with no ramp. I have since changed the settings to lower the max'm 17.4 to reduce the leaks I was getting when the system would peak out occcasionally and not come down of its own accord. The only absolute guaranteed way to know your prescription level is to see the doctors prescription. Keep a copy of it if possible for your own benefit.

Just curious if your script is for 15, did your RT set the pressure settings wide open like that?
02-17-2014 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Sex: Male

So to be clear -- the 'prescription' starts as what the doctor wrote on the chart or prescription form.

Here we are discussing the location of the effective prescribed settings for delivering treatment.

Those are in the machine -- they can be WRONG, but what is in the machine (non-volatile memory) is what the machine delivers.

The SDCard or the Clinical menu can both be used to change these settings.

Usually I make changes with Rescan and load them through the SDCard.

Last night, I decided on a last minute change and did it in the clinical menus.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
02-17-2014 10:11 AM
Steven C Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage SoftGel
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(02-17-2014 10:11 AM)herbm Wrote:  Usually I make changes with Rescan and load them through the SDCard.

Last night, I decided on a last minute change and did it in the clinical menus.

When you remove & replace the SD card in your machine, the settings will revert to the previous settings you changed to using ResScan.

That is 1 reason for not making the changes using ResScan.
Changes made using ResScan remain on the SD card & every time you put the SD card back into the machine, it will revert to those settings.

The only way to get rid of the settings changed using ResScan is to "format" the SD card. Then, the machine will retain the settings you changed on the machine.

OR, just make the settings changes you did last night on the machine in ResScan.

"I" just personally find it much easier to make ALL of the changes to "settings" ON the machine itself.
02-17-2014 04:40 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
ThatOtherGuy Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 Autoset on APAP mode
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Amara + chinstrap
Humidifier: RESMED S9
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 17
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(02-17-2014 08:11 AM)me50 Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 02:29 AM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote:  your prescription may not actually be programmed into the machine. in my case my prescription is 15, but my machine was programmed for a min'm of 5 and max'm of 20 using a VPAP option with no ramp. I have since changed the settings to lower the max'm 17.4 to reduce the leaks I was getting when the system would peak out occcasionally and not come down of its own accord. The only absolute guaranteed way to know your prescription level is to see the doctors prescription. Keep a copy of it if possible for your own benefit.

Just curious if your script is for 15, did your RT set the pressure settings wide open like that?
Basically setting the low mark low obviates the need for using the ramp setting and allows the machine to sense when your body may not actually need the full assistance so allows the system to compensate. The high mark similarly when your body may need additional assistance over the prescribed amount, it will get it as the machine senses needs. The prescription amount is an ideal setting as an average of all needs. That's how it was explained to me.

I found however that I was getting major leakage that actually disturbed my sleep so worked on a process of lowering the max'm, then gradually raising it over time until leakage became a real issue. Hence 17.4 is about the sweet spot for maximum benefit and minimal leakage for me. YMMV.:grin:
02-17-2014 05:08 PM
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

That is not my experience with my S9 Autoset.

I regularly move the card back and forth, but I change the settings on the machine and those settings are written to the card.

Rescan in no way has been further modifying my settings.

It works just like one would hope (last writer wins) but if you don't make changes then don't expect changes.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
02-17-2014 06:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 300 11-28-2016 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 180 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 303 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help with mask setting please trader37 3 288 11-03-2016 02:34 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Any setting changes when adding O2 to CPAP Ham Radio 2 190 10-28-2016 11:54 PM
Last Post: Ham Radio
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 6 392 10-27-2016 04:25 AM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  setting for starting choce Bill Hall 2 223 10-26-2016 08:20 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred