Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pressure clipping
RE: pressure clipping
DanGagner - You are correct, our breathing patterns while awake are very disordered and normalize when we fall asleep. BTW: Another trick used is to cycle the CPAP on and off when you wake up as to bookmark it in your sleep data.

Pupcamper - Thanks for the correction, I thought only the P-R Bil-evels and ASV's required the Pro version. . . (What do you expect from a Resmed man)
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i think the information reported by Sleepyhead is accurate here, and that there is a problem with the machine. I would set the machine to APAP mode and start using some alternative minimum maximum pressures. For starters, turn off Ramp so the 4.0 pressure is out of the equation. Set the minimum pressure to 7.0 which is much closer to what it needs to be, and the maximum pressure to 12.0. Let's observe if the pressure continues to clip at the minimum pressure. If it does, the machine is defective and should be returned for repair or replacement.

The key feature is there are clearly events that should cause pressure to rise based on the Philips Respironics auto algorithm. If the machine fails to perform as designed, this is beyond the consumer to repair. You need higher pressure. Let's start with that, and at least start to get the therapy you need. This is not a computer problem, it is a CPAP problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 10:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: i think the information reported by Sleepyhead is accurate here, and that there is a problem with the machine.  I would set the machine to APAP mode and start using some alternative minimum maximum pressures.   For starters, turn off Ramp so the 4.0 pressure is out of the equation.  Set the minimum pressure to 7.0 which is much closer to what it needs to be, and the maximum pressure to 12.0.  Let's observe if the pressure continues to clip at the minimum pressure.  If it does, the machine is defective and should be returned for repair or replacement.

The key feature is there are clearly events that should cause pressure to rise based on the Philips Respironics auto algorithm.  If the machine fails to perform as designed, this is beyond the consumer to repair.  You need higher pressure.  Let's start with that, and at least start to get the therapy you need.  This is not a computer problem, it is a CPAP problem.

Thanks. I'll try that tonight. I found respironics sort of argumentative. I hope they'd make good on the machine if there is a problem. So far the rep I talked with said that clipping at 6 in apap is normal. I'll post my results in the morning.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is NOT normal behavior. Philips Respironics (which is just a mile away from me) will not talk to end-users in an meaningful way. Who is your DME or supplier?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 03:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That is NOT normal behavior.  Philips Respironics (which is just a mile away from me) will not talk to end-users in an meaningful way. Who is your DME or supplier?

I called them directly at their 800 number that was in the respironics manual. The company I purchased it from was "Fitness Lifestyle Company" out of Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to contact them about improper function of your CPAP. As I understand it, they can negotiate a return/replacement. Depending on how long it has been since you purchased the unit, it may be returnable through the Amazon return policy. Let's see if the behavior continues. If it does, your first course of action is to contact the seller. Your second course of action may be to initiate a return through Amazon. If you need help comparing reports in Encore, we can communicate via PM and I can take your SD card information on a Dropbox address and check it out and send you a report (PDF). I have no doubt the problem is the Dreamstation and that it is under warranty. This may be a good test of how well Fitness Lifestyle responds to a claim.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 04:03 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You may need to contact them about improper function of your CPAP.  As I understand it, they can negotiate a return/replacement. Depending on how long it has been since you purchased the unit, it may be returnable through the Amazon return policy.  Let's see if the behavior continues.  If it does, your first course of action is to contact the seller.  Your second course of action may be to initiate a return through Amazon.   If you need help comparing reports in Encore, we can communicate via PM and I can take your SD card information on a Dropbox address and check it out and send you a report (PDF).  I have no doubt the problem is the Dreamstation and that it is under warranty.  This may be a good test of how well Fitness Lifestyle responds to a claim.

Thanks. It's only a week old.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 10:14 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: i think the information reported by Sleepyhead is accurate here, and that there is a problem with the machine.  I would set the machine to APAP mode and start using some alternative minimum maximum pressures.   For starters, turn off Ramp so the 4.0 pressure is out of the equation.  Set the minimum pressure to 7.0 which is much closer to what it needs to be, and the maximum pressure to 12.0.  Let's observe if the pressure continues to clip at the minimum pressure.  If it does, the machine is defective and should be returned for repair or replacement.

The key feature is there are clearly events that should cause pressure to rise based on the Philips Respironics auto algorithm.  If the machine fails to perform as designed, this is beyond the consumer to repair.  You need higher pressure.  Let's start with that, and at least start to get the therapy you need.  This is not a computer problem, it is a CPAP problem.

Well, that was the suggestion of the day! My setting changes made a huge difference and the pressure readings rose to the occasion. Only 6 obstructive events. The raised pressures of 7-12 was fine. I'm not one of those people who is bothered by the mask on my face or the weird pressure stuff going on. The dreamwear mask is very comfortable. Changing the pressure was noticeable but no problem. 

The high pressure still has some flat tops, but at least they're higher than 7.
Any other suggestions?   Thanks

[attachment=3799]
Post Reply Post Reply
This looks like normal machine behavior..minimum pressure needs to be 8.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3799]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2017, 06:38 AM)DanGagner Wrote:

Well, that was the suggestion of the day! My setting changes made a huge difference and the pressure readings rose to the occasion. Only 6 obstructive events. The raised pressures of 7-12 was fine. I'm not one of those people who is bothered by the mask on my face or the weird pressure stuff going on. The dreamwear mask is very comfortable. Changing the pressure was noticeable but no problem. 

The high pressure still has some flat tops, but at least they're higher than 7.
Any other suggestions?   Thanks

Tonight.... 8 it is. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does Oscar Display Pressure, EPAP IPAP on Dreamstation Bipap pressure Graph microvax 5 838 02-27-2023, 04:47 AM
Last Post: microvax
  Set CPAP to fixed pressure but OSCAR shows pressure decreasing all night... cpapnewbie18 2 748 01-12-2023, 04:58 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Sleepyhead Pressure vs Mask Pressure? JVWEIL 2 1,395 02-24-2019, 10:51 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Sleepyhead - Pressure vs Mask Pressure Graphs sonicboom 11 4,823 11-25-2017, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Reznik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.