Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pressure plateau
RE: pressure plateau
Here's how I understand EPAP PS and IPAP when using an ASV:

EPAP either as static or Min/Max range on Auto Mode will be your air splint keeping the throat open. This addresses OA based events. The E in EPAP signifies expiration pressure. In Auto Mode, it gets to be variable pressure to adjust based on need.

PS is added to EPAP to get an IPAP or inspiration pressure. Max IPAP pressures via the variable PS can kick start a breath if an event otherwise would leave you holding a breath.

As I recall, the ASV works by changing pressures breath by breath, and it does so in a way that reduces and/or avoids many instances that other machines make CA worse.

If you're within a medical necessity group for ASV, I feel your oxygen level may be less stable than others. That's not specific to you, but generically. Anyone that has an apnea event has a dip in oxygen, because breathing has been interrupted. Those with CA events, there's more potential for some apnea event to diminish oxygen.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2020, 12:56 PM)milboltnut Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 12:53 PM)slowriter Wrote: Attempt at a simple explanation: the ASV constantly adapts the pressure to intervene before an event happens.

In that case why be concerned about blood/oxygen concentration..... if CA's will be prevented?

I've not followed this thread, but in general, an ASV will minimize, or entirely prevent, any events that can impact spo2, including centrals.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2020, 01:31 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Here's how I understand EPAP PS and IPAP when using an ASV:

EPAP either as static or Min/Max range on Auto Mode will be your air splint keeping the throat open. This addresses OA based events. The E in EPAP signifies expiration pressure. In Auto Mode, it gets to be variable pressure to adjust based on need.

GOT SPLINTING THROAT OPEN....GOT THAT.

PS is added to EPAP to get an IPAP or inspiration pressure. Max IPAP pressures via the variable PS can kick start a breath if an event otherwise would leave you holding a breath.

[PS?] (TO EPAP) PRESSURE KICK START FOR IPAP... GOT IT.

As I recall, the ASV works by changing pressures breath by breath, and it does so in a way that reduces and/or avoids many instances that other machines make CA worse.

If you're within a medical necessity group for ASV, I feel your oxygen level may be less stable than others. That's not specific to you, but generically. Anyone that has an apnea event has a dip in oxygen, because breathing has been interrupted. Those with CA events, there's more potential for some apnea event to diminish oxygen.

WELL, IT WAS SUGGESTED TO TEST WITH AN ASV AUTO... AND IF IT DOESN'T DO HELP THEN WHAT? 
Post Reply Post Reply
The O2 is important when doing a titration test as that shows effective treatment if the o2 remains over 90%. Any drop in o2 even on ASV will warrant further investigation
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2020, 02:09 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: The O2 is important when doing a titration test as that shows effective treatment if the o2 remains over 90%. Any drop in o2 even on ASV will warrant further investigation

I was afraid you were gonna say that..... after the BS my Insurance company put me through already.... that's nice to know ! Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t worry, be happy.
With ASV it’s all cool. Adaptive pressure support means events never happened so why worry about SpO2?

I have to remember not to post while listening to Reggae poolside. Oh well it works.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2020, 04:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Don’t worry, be happy.
With ASV it’s all cool. Adaptive pressure support means events never happened so why worry about SpO2?

I have to remember not to post while listening to Reggae poolside. Oh well it works.

sounds like your confidant it will take are of centrals. I like that confidence... I tend to trust people more.  Smile

I forgot to ask for my sleep study results..... maybe monday. I aske the sleep study center for them too. Fred asked for it...hopefully I can get it still. Still like to see it?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had lots of CA before the ASV. The CA were afraid to show up because of the ASV.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2020, 04:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I had lots of CA before the ASV. The CA were afraid to show up because of the ASV.

I told my Dr. I wanted a Res Med ASV... he shook his head yes as he jotted it down... He didn't hesitate....hmmmmmmm.

One thing he said, which I never realized, but I know now, especially after learning about the ASV... and Dr. telling me this.. is when you have a central your brain wakes you up. And I've been wondering why I couldn't sleep right... and been trying so hard to.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPPP operation..... and the uvula.

Uvula

Function. During swallowing, the soft palate and the uvula move together to close off the nasopharynx, and prevent food from entering the nasal cavity. It has also been proposed that the abundant amount of thin saliva produced by the uvula serves to keep the throat well lubricated. It has a function in speech as well.

Is this operation worth it?

The Pros and Cons of Sleep Apnea Surgery
When used frequently and correctly, CPAP is virtually 100% effective at eliminating the symptoms of sleep apnea. By contrast, a UPPP, the most common sleep apnea surgery, has about a 50% success rate.

I'm just thinking of when your old and using a PAP machine might be cumbersome. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,350 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.