Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Washing? How often?
Question 
Washing? How often?
The manual says to wash the mask and H5i humidifier every day, so I take the mask completely apart, same for humidifier and soak in lukewarm soapy water, clean with paper towel, leave to dry then reassemble.

My partner said this is overkill but I think it's healthy. Not sure about mask plastic bits standing up to being taken apart daily though.

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Washing? How often?
(08-18-2013, 07:20 AM)Sleeper999 Wrote: The manual says to wash the mask and H5i humidifier every day, so I take the mask completely apart, same for humidifier and soak in lukewarm soapy water, clean with paper towel, leave to dry then reassemble.

My partner said this is overkill but I think it's healthy. Not sure about mask plastic bits standing up to being taken apart daily though.

Any thoughts?

I was told to wash my pillow every day, wash and refill the water chamber every 2-3 days and to wash the head gear, and hose once a week. I also use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo to clean everything. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeper999,
I usually wash my hose, mask and the humidifier once a week in warm, mild, soapy water. However, if you feel more comfortable cleaning every day, that's okay too; it's an individual thing.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that it is a necessity to wash my mask seal everyday. I have the resmed Mirage Quatro and the material is kind of sticky. If you have oily skin in the least bit the seal will not be effective because it slips on your skin. Hopefully that all makes sense.

As for the rest of them I shoot for once a week. To clean everything everyday seems like overkill to me.

Thanks for sharing the Baby shampoo idea. I have been using Method brand hand soap since it is a very mild soap.
Post Reply Post Reply
It partly depends on what you use for a water source in your humidifier - real distilled water and daily forced air drying by the CPAP should keep bacteria and germs at bay for a long time - weeks in one swab testing I tried (lucky I have access to such things, eh?). Store bought water will have a higher bac count, and so a real washing becomes necessary more often. Pillows and mask seals I would clean more often, since that is the stuff that comes into close contact with your face and picks up oils and schmutz, but so long as the tank and hose are kept good and dry between sessions (simply turn off the humidifier and auto off and turn on the machine until the tank is bone dry - don't forget to empty the tank first) and you can go up to a few weeks between thorough cleanings.

If you feel more comfortable doing a daily cleaning, then go for it - it may be overkill, but it also depends on the water you use, the environment you live in and so many other factors that in your region it may well be the right thing to do. Medically speaking, it is the best for you, but then, IMHO, you can never be too clean.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Doc said.
I also wipe the sealing surface and my face down with "wet ones" anti-bacterial towlettes just before putting
the mask on. (does not harm silicone plastics)

I get almost zero leaks that way.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 12:00 PM)jettman96 Wrote: I have found that it is a necessity to wash my mask seal everyday. I have the resmed Mirage Quatro and the material is kind of sticky. If you have oily skin in the least bit the seal will not be effective because it slips on your skin. Hopefully that all makes sense.

As for the rest of them I shoot for once a week. To clean everything everyday seems like overkill to me.

Thanks for sharing the Baby shampoo idea. I have been using Method brand hand soap since it is a very mild soap.

I've been doing this too with my Mirage Quattro, but I'm a bit concerned that the seal clip and/or the mask itself may not stand up well long term to being disassembled and put back every day.

Are you disassembling yours to wash it every day?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Are you disassembling yours to wash it every day?

I am, yes. Thanks for great info. above.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 12:00 PM)jettman96 Wrote: I have found that it is a necessity to wash my mask seal everyday. I have the resmed Mirage Quatro and the material is kind of sticky. If you have oily skin in the least bit the seal will not be effective because it slips on your skin. Hopefully that all makes sense.

I break down my mask ever day and wash it with dishwashing soap. Plus I use Ivory on my face. I've had good luck with that routine.

The tank and tubing is cleaned whenever I think about it. I have never used anything but distilled water and I live in a clean environment so I feel comfortable with that.

Cheers, VegasPier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Washing gear in bleach? bbbl67 10 853 02-12-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bbbl67
  How to quickly dry hose and tank after washing in bucket? pkersey 12 1,654 09-05-2022, 09:02 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  How do I prevent rainout for 48 hours after washing Cpap tube Ihaveapnea 36 5,641 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post: dosco
Exclaimation [Equipment] bad Anew Odor - AFTER washing!! Help! Illisidi 10 3,855 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Last Post: truetopath
  Washing head straps Timotheus 15 6,166 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Washing Filters ResMed Skypilot 22 12,300 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Last Post: justMongo
Arrow washing cpap -- really? sir_sleeps_alot 41 17,112 11-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.