Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pulled the cpap off the dresser and onto my head
RE: pulled the cpap off the dresser and onto my head
I use a night stand with two drawers. The machine lives in the lower drawer and the hose and power goes through a 1.5" hole I bored in the back of the cabinet. At night, the drawer is closed and keeps things very quiet. I can open the drawer and remove the water container for refilling.

I have lined the drawer with felt, so it is even quieter. No risk of spills. If I ever had water in the heated hose, it would drain back to the machine, not into my nose. I want to emphasize to people that keep their machine in a drawer, you should route the hose through the back so it does not get pinched or damaged by closing the drawer. A simple hole saw can be used to make this modification. The hose comes out of the rear of the cabinet near the bed headboard, and is not prone to damage.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 07:00 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I emptied the hose, swung it around my head a couple times and dried off the end, put it back together and went back to sleep!

For future reference, as a safety precaution, please remove machine prior to swinging hose around your head.

(02-10-2015, 07:14 PM)justMongo Wrote: Retired_Guy uses Duct tape.

Nope........ Retired_Guy uses DUCK tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 09:54 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Nope........ Retired_Guy uses DUCK tape.

Of course: Oregon = Ducks

They play USC tomorrow.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
One trick is to route the hose through or around something or even to tie it to something such that you can't pull the machine over. You can also put the machine in a drawer or a cage of some kind.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some good ideas here! Currently my bed is about waist height, and my night stand is an actual "tall-boy" dresser. It's a piece of junk, so it would be great to modify it or replace it - but I am not all that handy with carpentry, and my better half is, but likes to half finish stuff Tongue

I saw the Perdue nightstand and it is intriguing, but with the doors opening out, seems like it might not open well, if too close to the bed (and it would be) and its smallish for the things i would like to keep in it. A slightly bigger roll top with the hose openings would be super! Perhaps I should have a cabinet maker do a custom jobber for me Big Grin

I need a large wall cabinet for all the medical apparatus the 2 of us are accumulating Tongue
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 09:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I use a night stand with two drawers. The machine lives in the lower drawer and the hose and power goes through a 1.5" hole I bored in the back of the cabinet. At night, the drawer is closed and keeps things very quiet. I can open the drawer and remove the water container for refilling.

I have lined the drawer with felt, so it is even quieter. No risk of spills. If I ever had water in the heated hose, it would drain back to the machine, not into my nose. I want to emphasize to people that keep their machine in a drawer, you should route the hose through the back so it does not get pinched or damaged by closing the drawer. A simple hole saw can be used to make this modification. The hose comes out of the rear of the cabinet near the bed headboard, and is not prone to damage.

Hi Sleeprider,
Interesting about keeping CPAP in a drawer, but I thought I read somewhere that the machine should not be enclosed, that there should be ample air circulating all around it for the air filter to breath.
Thinking-about
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 12:20 AM)DariaVader Wrote: Some good ideas here! Currently my bed is about waist height, and my night stand is an actual "tall-boy" dresser. It's a piece of junk, so it would be great to modify it or replace it - but I am not all that handy with carpentry, and my better half is, but likes to half finish stuff Tongue

I saw the Perdue nightstand and it is intriguing, but with the doors opening out, seems like it might not open well, if too close to the bed (and it would be) and its smallish for the things i would like to keep in it. A slightly bigger roll top with the hose openings would be super! Perhaps I should have a cabinet maker do a custom jobber for me Big Grin

I need a large wall cabinet for all the medical apparatus the 2 of us are accumulating Tongue

DariaVader,
I can relate, I've come close to pulling my machine off the night stand several times. It is only 18" wide. I am also looking into another option, but don't have much room beside my bed to work with. The Perdue does look nice, but I see myself tripping over open doors.
Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 08:17 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(02-10-2015, 09:48 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I use a night stand with two drawers. The machine lives in the lower drawer and the hose and power goes through a 1.5" hole I bored in the back of the cabinet. At night, the drawer is closed and keeps things very quiet. I can open the drawer and remove the water container for refilling.

Hi Sleeprider,
Interesting about keeping CPAP in a drawer, but I thought I read somewhere that the machine should not be enclosed, that there should be ample air circulating all around it for the air filter to breath.
Thinking-about

A drawer is not an enclosed space. Drawer units are often built with no enclosure around the bottom, and there is a great deal of space around and behind the drawers. For the volume of air moving through the CPAP, there is plenty of air infiltration to the cabinet, and obviously no expired air is exhausted into there. I've survived it many years.

I'm kind of an engineering geek, and I can imagine how much air volume it would take to pull a vacuum in a drawer. Thinking-about

Anyway, it's convenient, quiet and it actually works not having hoses hanging out the front.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine sits next to the bed on my nightstand which is roughly the same height as the bed. I do use a hose buddy and have enough slack in the hose so I can move around without any problems. Also, the way I have it routed, the mask will come off before it pulls the unit of the night stand. I also changed my hose to a 10 foot hose and it works fine. Any of the suppliers stock them and they are fairly inexpensive.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't experienced this problem but then I don't have a nightstand or a drawer.... I have a tv tray. Yeah someday I'll get fancy, but for now the tv tray works fine. I keep the machine on it facing away from the bed. That way the hose goes in a straight line from the machine to my head. True, I can't easily read all the stuff on the machine, but I don't do that anyway. If I want to know what's going on I'll look at Sleepyhead. Besides, I have a phobia about that goofy smiley face and his less than nice friend.

But if I did have a nightstand I think I would put the machine on it inside out. The front facing the wall. Then I'd use a cargo strap to gently -- no stretchy -- go around the machine and attach to the back of the nightstand. Depending on stuff, I might have to put something fancy like a nail in the back of the nightstand for the cargo strap to grab a hold of.

In the meantime, until I get such a thing, maybe I'll look for a fancier tv tray.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,055 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 778 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  P30i pulsating/hammering on my head koy23 0 521 12-19-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.