Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pulled the cpap off the dresser and onto my head
RE: pulled the cpap off the dresser and onto my head
(02-11-2015, 12:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I haven't experienced this problem but then I don't have a nightstand or a drawer.... I have a tv tray. Yeah someday I'll get fancy, but for now the tv tray works fine. I keep the machine on it facing away from the bed. That way the hose goes in a straight line from the machine to my head. True, I can't easily read all the stuff on the machine, but I don't do that anyway. If I want to know what's going on I'll look at Sleepyhead. Besides, I have a phobia about that goofy smiley face and his less than nice friend.

But if I did have a nightstand I think I would put the machine on it inside out. The front facing the wall. Then I'd use a cargo strap to gently -- no stretchy -- go around the machine and attach to the back of the nightstand. Depending on stuff, I might have to put something fancy like a nail in the back of the nightstand for the cargo strap to grab a hold of.

In the meantime, until I get such a thing, maybe I'll look for a fancier tv tray.

what, no duck tape?

I keep mine with the back facing me also - makes more sense. I never look at the display on the unit unless I am changing something Big Grin Need glasses for that, and I aint wearing em in bed.

The drawer option is sounding better as I think about it... might even help to filter out a bit of the occasional dog fart I have been forced to put up with!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 08:17 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Sleeprider,
Interesting about keeping CPAP in a drawer, but I thought I read somewhere that the machine should not be enclosed, that there should be ample air circulating all around it for the air filter to breath.
Thinking-about

I would either replace the back of the drawer with peg board or drill several large holes with a hole saw bit. Or just pull out the drawer at night while the machine is in use and close it when it is not. That was the plan when I was considering doing it. But the plan got put aside for something else and I never went back.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting about keeping CPAP in a drawer, but I thought I read somewhere that the machine should not be enclosed, that there should be ample air circulating all around it for the air filter to breath.

The hose is going to be blowing 20 liters or more of air out of the dresser every minute. That's more than enough to keep it cool. Be sure it's not sitting on clothes or covered with clothes.

In theory, you could have a problem with it being able to draw in enough air, but it really doesn't take much of an air hole. It can push the air through 6 foot of hose that's less than 1 square inch in area. No dresser is going to be anywhere near that airtight. If you just open the drawer a little to run the hose in, you'll have several square inches of "breathing space." If you drill a hole for the hose to go through, you'll need a hole big enough for the fitting on the end of the hose to go through, so you'll probably have a big enough air gap around the hose.

Also make sure there's not something dusty or too smelly around the dresser. A good cleaning might be in order.

Be sure you can't pull the draw out to get to the machine and have the entire drawer fall out on the floor.

Also, don't jerk the drawer open or slam it and slosh water into the wrong spot.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daria, Glad you or the machine were not injured.

Am I missing something here, do I need to have my machine duck taped to it's surface or something?

I have it sitting on what stands in for my night stand. It's probably a plant stand, got it for about 30-40.00 at Ross. It's surface is a woven bamboo like texture. It is about 4 inches lower than our bed. The bed is at it's highest setting, and I had considered lowering it to let wee doggie get in and out easier, but nope, not.gonna.do.it.now!

My machine just sits there, screen facing me. Eyeglasses next to it so I can read it at night if need be. Hose goes up and over headboard and sets in area where metal goes down and hose doesn't pull out from there.

I would hate for my beloved "baby" (Machine needs a name, not named yet, but you can be sure it's precious) to hit the floor.

Do most folk have theirs strapped to surface, or duct taped or what have you?

The Manse Hen

Post Reply Post Reply
my PRS1 is so heavy it would take a lot of force to dislodge it. it just sits there, a cool solid mass.

I actually suspect that it has within it a black hole, because my world now revolves around it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2015, 12:39 AM)archangle Wrote:

The hose is going to be blowing 20 liters or more of air out of the dresser every minute. That's more than enough to keep it cool. Be sure it's not sitting on clothes or covered with clothes.

In theory, you could have a problem with it being able to draw in enough air, but it really doesn't take much of an air hole. It can push the air through 6 foot of hose that's less than 1 square inch in area. No dresser is going to be anywhere near that airtight. If you just open the drawer a little to run the hose in, you'll have several square inches of "breathing space." If you drill a hole for the hose to go through, you'll need a hole big enough for the fitting on the end of the hose to go through, so you'll probably have a big enough air gap around the hose.

Also make sure there's not something dusty or too smelly around the dresser. A good cleaning might be in order.

Be sure you can't pull the draw out to get to the machine and have the entire drawer fall out on the floor.

Also, don't jerk the drawer open or slam it and slosh water into the wrong spot.

I don't know what the actual ventilation capacity is, but the pressure of most CPAPs is 20 cmH2O and my BiPAP is 25 cm. My minute vent rate is less than 9 lpm, and I guess you can add the intentional and accidental leak rate to that. The hole in the back alone is nearly times the hose diameter to accommodate the large heated hose fitting. A 15 mm hose has a diameter of 0.6 inches, and hole size is 1-1/2".

As I said, the cabinet, like most, is not close to air-tight, and I doubt it would even cause a pressure drop if measured. Water sloshing is not a problem as long as the reservoir is not overfilled. The PRS1 units are all built with a dry box in the humidifier. This prevents any possibility of sloshed water from backing up into the fan. You might find a way for water to run back into the fan, but you'd have to be grossly over-filled, not just tipped.

Engineering geek stuff: The cross sectional area of pipe or round hole is
A = pi (d / 2)2

So a 15 mm hose (0.6" I.D.) with an outside diameter less than 3/4" occupies an area of only 0.44 inches of a hole with a total area of 1.76 square inches. That gives me more than 3-times the air intake area as the tube. No problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2015, 04:01 AM)TheManseHen Wrote: Daria, Glad you or the machine were not injured.

Am I missing something here, do I need to have my machine duck taped to it's surface or something?

I have it sitting on what stands in for my night stand. It's probably a plant stand, got it for about 30-40.00 at Ross. It's surface is a woven bamboo like texture. It is about 4 inches lower than our bed. The bed is at it's highest setting, and I had considered lowering it to let wee doggie get in and out easier, but nope, not.gonna.do.it.now!

My machine just sits there, screen facing me. Eyeglasses next to it so I can read it at night if need be. Hose goes up and over headboard and sets in area where metal goes down and hose doesn't pull out from there.

I would hate for my beloved "baby" (Machine needs a name, not named yet, but you can be sure it's precious) to hit the floor.

Do most folk have theirs strapped to surface, or duct taped or what have you?

The Manse Hen

Thanks, Henny Bigwink

Seems like the critical pieces I am missing here is
  1. Hose management - an arm system or at least up over a headboard - My bed has no headboard (6'7" hubby hates head/foot boards, feets hang over edge of our cal king...)
  2. Nightstand that is even with or lower than the top of the mattress

You should be ok

Post Reply Post Reply
Daria,

That is called "getting your head into the game". Huhsign Sorry I could not resist that. Hope it did not hurt you too much.

You may need to quit fighting with people in your sleep. Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2015, 01:10 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Daria,

That is called "getting your head into the game". Huhsign Sorry I could not resist that. Hope it did not hurt you too much.

You may need to quit fighting with people in your sleep. Big Grin

Dielaughing

naw, didn't hurt, (Ima hard headed woman...) just a big sleep disruption! and now a mental disruption as I find I am designing cabinets in my head and scheming to make hubby allow a proper bedframe! (need to find one his feet can stick out thru. roflmao)

Post Reply Post Reply
You know, while you are at it, you could design a headboard that you could put the machine and and then during the day have everything out of the way. With just a headboard, hubby may be happy and allow his feet to go off the end. We could never get rid of our footboard as the cats like to sit on it and stare at us. Smile

BTW, if you ever share your house with siamese cats, you will never do anything alone again. And I mean EVERYTHING. Big Grin

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 677 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,052 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 774 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter
  P30i pulsating/hammering on my head koy23 0 519 12-19-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.