Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

qt9998 Therapy Thread
RE: Machine wakes me up after 3 hours
F30i or P30i? Which would you recommend?

Besides my difficulty in adapting to the N30 mask, I toss and turn a lot and use different positions (back/side/stomach).
That would indicate the face mask but the nasal pillows masks are so popular. I'd also like to stop using mouth tape.

Appt. with "doctor" on Dec. 7 who must approve whatever I choose. I'll bring my SD card. I'll also ask for my home test results,
and ask for another sleep study on their premises this time and with a titration test.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine wakes me up after 3 hours
Honestly, it just depends on which mask you find more comfortable.

These are two different types of masks. The P30i is a pillow type mask with prongs that sit just outside your nostrils. This may be more stable, but I found it takes some getting used to. The hose connection at the top might help some too.

The F30i is a hybrid full face mask that covers your mouth but has a cradle that sits just under your nose. My wife uses this mask and finds it works well for her since she’s a mouth breather. 

Ideally, if you could trial both and see which works best, that’s the way to go.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
why air in mouth?
Why does all that air stay parked in your mouth?

Hard for me to believe that, except for face mask users,
you all keep your mouths shut tight for a whole night's sleep.

I guess I don't understand the basic mechanics of CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: why air in mouth?
In case your tongue doesn't rest at its proper place it allows the air entering your mouth, may your mouth be open or not. Hence it's not the mouth's task to prevent the air flowing in it.

Nothing to do with CPAP mechanics but with anatomy instead.

Now you're using a nasal mask and air is escaping from your mouth? In this case you're blowing the therapy in the wind (where all the answers resideSmile.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
"The answer my friend... is blowin' in the wind..."

I tried a P10 last night. Worse. I was clean shaven, with nearly 6 inches of 3M surgical tape
across my mouth, evenly divided between upper and lower lips. Kept pressure at 8-10.
Couldn't even fall asleep because so much air in my mouth. Some even managed to escape despite the tape!!

I am not a mouth breather during the day. I think I keep my tongue up against my palate
but I'll check tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
CVS better than on-line
Bought a ResMed P10 mask for $95.  Was assured that it was returnable within 60 days.  Make sure you keep
the receipt.
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, it's that tongue thing ...  Hold you nose closed an say:  "Ellllll... ".  Now try to say: "Ennnnn..."  Notice the difference?  Definitely your tongue is in the (wrong) L-position.  

Either you train your tongue to stay there (even at night) -- it took me over a year -- or use an FFM.  Once I was tape addicted, but I'm clean now. Wink

First try to get a feeling of the natural position: with mask on take the tongue in the N-position such that no air can arrive at your mouth.  In may feel "unnatural" first.

One last thing: while sleeping on your back your chin may tuck and carrie away your tongue as well.  You may want to use a chin strap in that case.  Here'e my actual  construction:

And 6'' tape may be exaggerated.  I've used 3'' by 1/2'' Fixomull stretch.  Before taping, turn your lips slightly inwards; that provides a better seal and prevents your lips from too much contact with the tape.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Think of the back of your tongue touching the roof of your mouth. That forms a closed valve that keeps the pressurized CPAP air in your throat, where it belongs, so that it can maintain the pressure splint you need to breathe. Open that valve and the air leaks into your mouth. That's how you get a mouthful of air.

You can try a chin strap. Some people like to tape.

But the best solution is a full face mask. It pressurizes the air in your mouth, too, so it doesn't matter if that "valve" is open or closed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Multicast and Sleeper, I much appreciate your responses. I get that it's a tongue thing now.

Already tried the chin strap but no help. Now will try a cervical collar.
And as you suggested will turn lips inward before applying tape.

But I doubt that I can "train" my mouth so if above doesn't help I will probably have to
try the full face mask as soon as doctor approves later this week.
Post Reply Post Reply
The full face mask really is the most effective and elegant solution.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 1 56 5 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 990 5 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,322 7 hours ago
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,462 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,076 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 588 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano
  johnathanb76 - Therapy Help In Migrating to a Resmed johnathanb76 27 490 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.