Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

question and no time
RE: question and no time
Hope it all works out Marc. When you're pushed for time, it's hard to get everything straight. Your insurance can verify their requirements for rental or purchase. The extra charges don't make sense to me unless it is based on copay or deductible.

If you ever need to run your CPAP on DC battery power, you'll be glad you have the PRS1 Auto 12 volt unit instead of the Resmed 24 volt power pig. Other than that function and data are mostly the same. Cost differential is in large part integrated components in the Resmed, including humidifier, WIFI modem and it is a more progressive design. Full disclosure, I have a couple PRS1 units (Auto CPAP and BiPAP), and like that they are smaller and carry on the motorcycle and travel well. Keep us posted how it goes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the assistance.
They had a 560 auto non heated, said they don't sell the heated hose unit.
It was an after hours appt with one lady in the office that didn't have any answers to billing or costs so i declined getting the machine until I could speak with someone that could break down full cost analysis and tell me not only what the monthly charge is going to be but how long would it be for? is the machine mine at end of 10 months paid in full or a balloon payment at the end?
no answers?

she said if I was to buy the machine the code charge would be $970 to insurance and another 250 for the humidifier, 135 for maske, 35 for hose. I did catch that they had $15 for filters added to the initial bill when the machine comes with a set already. I told them they would have to remove the filter fees.

she said for rental my portion would be 9.70 a month for 10 months which indicated to me that the rental is a 10 month 10% payment until paid in full with no balloon at the end based on the rental fee vs the purchase fee but she couldnt verify.

in the meantime, I brought my old (new condition) remstar M series in and set my pressure to 14 as the scrip was 11-18.
they also said they dont have the p10 pillows. she tried the swift fx and it was ok, but then I tried the wisp nasal mask and it was very comfortable.

I only walked out with my old machine adjust, a new hose and mask and think i will be back this week for the 560 if someone can verify costs at the office. I think either way rent to own for 10 months or purchase will cost the 970 machine and 250 heated humidifier. seems high compared to online but Insurance is not paying online suppliers.

from stories I have seen, what she was telling me (still have to verify during business hours with accounting) for the duration of the next ten months the charge to insurance would be as follows with me not having a deductible but having a 10% co-pay responsibility.

next ten months billed to ins= machine $97.00 a month, humidifier one time charge $250, headgear $89 one time, mask$35 every few months, misc filters etc. at ten months the machine is mine and then only maintenance costs of replacement filters, masks, etc.

I need to work on making the the machine term shorter before picking it up so that it is paid off within this calendar year where my deductible has already been met though.
does this sound reasonable?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you hit on the biggest problem with rental is that it will span two deductible periods. The math in that case becomes whether you should buy out of network with 40% copay? You would have to ask your BCBS insurance.

Let's assume, you buy a PRS1 Auto with heated tube and humidifier for $750 from Supplier #1 (there are less expensive alternatives). Assuming you have met your deductible this year, your total cost with a 40% copay is $300.00 after reimbursement. You own the machine, no B.S. from the DME. If you rent for $10 over the next 10-months, your cost is only $97, but you might end up in a new deductible period where your costs are the full rental including your copay. In other words, I think you will easily exceed the cost of out-of-network purchase after reimbursement.

That assumes out of network is a 40% copay for you, not something less. If your out of network is 20 or 30% this is a no-brainer. You can choose to get masks and supplies through that DME or not. The total cost of a complete mask through online suppliers is $100 and that gets reimbursed based on out of network policy. I have found that it beats the DME markups and charges for individual mask components. I have one of the flavors of Anthem BCBS and out of network is not a problem. Your policy will likely be different.

Ask your insurance about out of network, and alternate DMEs in your area. Shop. As long as you have a working M-Series, you can take your time and get the right unit and equipment you want.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing to consider is just buying the machine through insurance and getting the heated humidifier online. With Resmed Airsense, you couldn't do this since the humidifier is integrated, but you certainly can do so with others.

Finally, I want to mention that your deductible may not include durable medical equipment. In other words, you wouldn't have a big payment in January because of a rental in January.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2015, 10:51 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Another thing to consider is just buying the machine through insurance and getting the heated humidifier online. With Resmed Airsense, you couldn't do this since the humidifier is integrated, but you certainly can do so with others.

Finally, I want to mention that your deductible may not include durable medical equipment. In other words, you wouldn't have a big payment in January because of a rental in January.

thank you for the update, I am calling BCBS again...
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually don't get hung up on the deductible issue with payments rolling into the new year because I never have a year anymore where I don't easily exceed my deductible. Too many annual visits required these days. However it would depend on the amount of your deductible so YMMV.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 201 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 614 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.