Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

question from a new breather
question from a new breather
Definitely have apnea, I had interuptions 70 times an hour. My pressure is set on 11. I hit the ramp button while going to sleep but feel like I hyperventilate. I do ok sleeping but I wake up sneezing and my chest hurts like my lungs are getting over expanded. Hoped I explained that ok. Now my nose is stuffy like I am getting a cold. Hubby said he remembers all of that too when he got his 10 years ago. How do I know if my pressure is too high or will it get better? I felt so poopy this morning, I thought about sleeping without it tonight since I have to work in the morning. Is it normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: question from a new breather
Hi Cindy and WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes it takes a while to get used to the mask and machine so don't give up, PATIENCE is required. One thing you could try is to set around in the evening in your mask and machine while you are watching tv or reading, as this may help you get used to it. Another thing you might try is to wrence your nose before you go to bed with a nasal wrence, there are several out there.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Are the machine, hose and mask new?
Are you sure the proper filter is present, clean and installed correctly?
Are you using a humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 12:11 PM)Cindy Wrote: Definitely have apnea, I had interuptions 70 times an hour. My pressure is set on 11. I hit the ramp button while going to sleep but feel like I hyperventilate. I do ok sleeping but I wake up sneezing and my chest hurts like my lungs are getting over expanded. Hoped I explained that ok. Now my nose is stuffy like I am getting a cold. Hubby said he remembers all of that too when he got his 10 years ago. How do I know if my pressure is too high or will it get better? I felt so poopy this morning, I thought about sleeping without it tonight since I have to work in the morning. Is it normal?

Hi Cindy,

If you're using the ramp and trying to hyperventilate is it because you feel like you're not getting enough air? If it does you can use it without the ramp to get the full flow of air right from the start.

Nearly everyone has to adjust to using CPAP, some of us quicker than others, some people kicking and screaming! In the short term it's a learning curve, in the long run it's worth it to continue breathing while you sleep.

Your husband should be a living testament to you that CPAP works, just give it some time, you've spent your whole life without it but now that you need it (like the rest of us hoseheads), you'll spend the rest of a much longer life than you would have had using CPAP.

What trish6hundred said was right on the money about rinsing your sinuses with saline, one of the most popular kits is the Neil-Med squeeze bottle kit or Neti Pot kit (available at drug stores), following the directions included should help your sinuses, I know quite a few people here (myself included) use these regularly.

You didn't fill-in the rest of the information under your User Profile so I don't know which CPAP you have or whether you have the humidifier.

If you do have the humidifier you'll need to turn-up the humidity a little at a time to figure-out how much humidity you need or like, I run my humidity setting pretty high because it keeps my sinuses from getting congested, the higher volume of air from CPAP will dry your sinuses and cause irritation, especially if you have allergies (like me).

Let us know how you're doing, we're here to help!

Sleep-well

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 01:32 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Are the machine, hose and mask new?
Are you sure the proper filter is present, clean and installed correctly?
Are you using a humidifier?

Thanks for the welcome. The machine is brand new and set up by the company and I am using a humidifier on the lowest setting. The technician was great on instructions
Post Reply Post Reply
We can help you best if you fill out your profile so we know what machine you are using. Almost all of them have the manufacturer's name prominent on the machine. If it is a ResMed, the name of the machine will be right above the on/off button. If Respironics, take out the humidifier tub and turn the machine over. There should be a model number.

You say you are using the ResScan software. Are you looking at the data?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It might be worthwhile to try increasing the humidity, just a little bit each night, to see if that starts to alleviate any problems.

For some reason when I first started using mine, I would breath really hard and deep. I don't know why; I think it was just a natural voluntary response to the air pressure and I think I was also responding to the sound coming from the machine...anyway, as I grew accustomed to it I started breathing much more naturally. Do you think you might be doing something like this and that could be causing the feeling of hyperventilation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Odd, it doesn't show the post I made this am, maybe moderated?

I upped the moisture to 2 and did alot better. No chest pain and slept thru the night, only got up once.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, no one is moderated. It is possible you hit the "preview post" vs "post reply".

And glad you got your problem fixed!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I bet that was it. I mod at a koi board and we moderate for at least 10 posts.

At least tonight I am not dreading bedtime.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nose breather in training cberistain 5 665 01-11-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: cberistain
  [Symptoms] Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues Keri2000 11 1,849 04-27-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Keri2000
  mask for long narrow face? (mouth breather) onlyconnect 0 424 11-08-2021, 06:33 AM
Last Post: onlyconnect
  Newbie - Stuffy nose turning me into mouth breather Bert S 16 1,849 10-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Bert S
  Sleep study on mouth breather -- how do those nasal canulas tell you ANYTHING?!? cathyf 5 892 08-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: NelsonM
  Mask for side sleeper mouth breather BobbieM 17 2,711 04-18-2021, 06:16 AM
Last Post: JeffT
  Snoring, mouth breather. Amerikiwi1 18 1,832 03-12-2021, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Amerikiwi1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.