Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

question from a new breather
RE: question from a new breather
Nah, we're too lazy.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 07:51 PM)Cindy Wrote: At least tonight I am not dreading bedtime.

Hi Cindy. Welcome to Apnea Board. I see that all of your original questions got answered, except one. And I'm glad you're adjusting so well.

The only way you can know if your therapy is effective is to check your leak rate and your AHI. If your leak rate is too high the CPAP machine can't prevent your airway from collapsing. Your AHI is the number of events (apneas and hypopneas) that you're experiencing per hour.

You need a good data-capable CPAP machine to accomplish this. Let us know the make and model of your CPAP machine so we can help you with this.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 02:12 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: For some reason when I first started using mine, I would breath really hard and deep. I don't know why; I think it was just a natural voluntary response to the air pressure and I think I was also responding to the sound coming from the machine...anyway, as I grew accustomed to it I started breathing much more naturally. Do you think you might be doing something like this and that could be causing the feeling of hyperventilation?

Yes jgjones1972 that does sound like "the feeling of hyperventilation"
I still get the feeling of breathing really hard and deep at first if I am not relaxed enough & if I look at the Wave Form report the next day it looks like I gasp for air (in EncoreBasic or Flo Rate in Sleepy Head).
It looks just like I felt, Panic! & is I think quite common but definitely scary.

It is hard to explain but it is the same for me if I stick my head out of a car going fast facing forward, it feels like I can't breath.

It was a total panic the first time at the beginning of my sleep test using CPAP & for me the nasal mask was worse.
I am a mouth breather but didn't know it at the time but it made a lot of sense after knowing that I have a hard time eating due to not being able to breath through my nose.

Like TheWerkz said.
Using the ramp featur can feel like like you are suficating & couse you to hyperventilate (it is how the mind responds to the feeling) is it because you feel like you're not getting enough air?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 09:19 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Nah, we're too lazy.
It's not from lack of sleepToo-funny

Woke up with a little bit of chest discomfort and an ear ache. Filled up the tub for a warm soak to find out the water heater wasn't working. Shortest bath I ever took.

I'll have to get the numbers, it looks like the Philips Respironics System One REMStar.
(12-16-2012, 02:12 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: It might be worthwhile to try increasing the humidity, just a little bit each night, to see if that starts to alleviate any problems.

For some reason when I first started using mine, I would breath really hard and deep. I don't know why; I think it was just a natural voluntary response to the air pressure and I think I was also responding to the sound coming from the machine...anyway, as I grew accustomed to it I started breathing much more naturally. Do you think you might be doing something like this and that could be causing the feeling of hyperventilation?
That could be why my lungs are hurting. Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, the CPAP is not strong enough to actually fill your lung, forcing you to breathe. A ventilator can, but a CPAP won't. Have you ever taken a CPR class? It takes a LOT of pressure to blow up the lungs of a human. There's not just the lungs themselves, but the rib cage has to be pushed up and the muscle weight pushed up. We do it on our own with little effort because it's not that the lungs are pushing, but the muscles are pulling, like a billows.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2012, 01:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Just to clarify, the CPAP is not strong enough to actually fill your lung, forcing you to breathe. A ventilator can, but a CPAP won't. Have you ever taken a CPR class? It takes a LOT of pressure to blow up the lungs of a human. There's not just the lungs themselves, but the rib cage has to be pushed up and the muscle weight pushed up. We do it on our own with little effort because it's not that the lungs are pushing, but the muscles are pulling, like a billows.

I taught CPR/first aid/BBP for the school system and EMS for years. With the new 30 compressions to 2 breaths, I don't know how long I could actual do CPR for now. Hoping everyone has an AED.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, me too! I was an instructor (20+ yrs ago) and really really hoped I'd never have to do it on a real person.

But at least you understand the dynamics.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 12:11 PM)Cindy Wrote: Definitely have apnea, I had interuptions 70 times an hour. My pressure is set on 11.

Hi Cindy, welcome to the forum!

It is important that we make every effort to reject a bad machine and to get a good machine.

One of our Master Members (Archangle) made this page on which machines to avoid and which are good ones:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My lungs hurt again and my ears hurt. I have a:

Phillips Remstar Auto A-Flex system wondering if 11 is just too high.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2012, 06:05 PM)Cindy Wrote: My lungs hurt again and my ears hurt. I have a:

Phillips Remstar Auto A-Flex system wondering if 11 is just too high.

These problems could be related to CPAP therapy, but I recommend you call your doctor and report these symptoms. Just in case they are something more serious.

Ask your doctor if it'd be a good idea to lower your pressure.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nose breather in training cberistain 5 665 01-11-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: cberistain
  [Symptoms] Shallow Breather and Airsense 10 Issues Keri2000 11 1,849 04-27-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Keri2000
  mask for long narrow face? (mouth breather) onlyconnect 0 424 11-08-2021, 06:33 AM
Last Post: onlyconnect
  Newbie - Stuffy nose turning me into mouth breather Bert S 16 1,849 10-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Bert S
  Sleep study on mouth breather -- how do those nasal canulas tell you ANYTHING?!? cathyf 5 892 08-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: NelsonM
  Mask for side sleeper mouth breather BobbieM 17 2,711 04-18-2021, 06:16 AM
Last Post: JeffT
  Snoring, mouth breather. Amerikiwi1 18 1,832 03-12-2021, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Amerikiwi1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.